x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 5:39 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

After an hour or so of trying to connect to the hotspot yesterday, I noticed my battery had gone from 100% to 50%. Yikes! Is this normal? Is the WPC11 a power hog? Or was it because I was ejecting and inserting and resetting a lot?
Also, does scanning for a network use more power than simply being connected to a network?

My request for help with Ministumbler got ignored but I think I've mostly figured it out. I had to download Netstumbler to get a help file. Strange they don't include one with Mini. Their support forums seem very hostile to "newbies" so I didn't dare post there. I only have one question left-sorry if it's stupid but..if I want to connect to a network that shows up on Ministumbler, say a hotspot or the network my parents have at their house, I just type the SSID into the Linksys Config Util and make a profile for it, correct? Thanks for all the help!

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 6:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

SueNY - 2006-03-21 11:39 PM

After an hour or so of trying to connect to the hotspot yesterday, I noticed my battery had gone from 100% to 50%. Yikes! Is this normal? Is the WPC11 a power hog? Or was it because I was ejecting and inserting and resetting a lot?
Also, does scanning for a network use more power than simply being connected to a network?

My request for help with Ministumbler got ignored but I think I've mostly figured it out. I had to download Netstumbler to get a help file. Strange they don't include one with Mini. Their support forums seem very hostile to "newbies" so I didn't dare post there. I only have one question left-sorry if it's stupid but..if I want to connect to a network that shows up on Ministumbler, say a hotspot or the network my parents have at their house, I just type the SSID into the Linksys Config Util and make a profile for it, correct? Thanks for all the help!

wpc11 is a pcmcia wifi card, so yes it is eating a lot of power, but i think your battery is just like any other jornada battery, it drops to 33% in 1-2 hours then stays there for 5-6 hours or so... and then again 1 hour at 16% before shutting off.
my cf wifi cards don't consume much power, lets say a typical battery lasts 9 hours without a cf wifi, and 6 with it.
i don't think you've been ignored, what was your problem with ministumbler? if the network isn't encrypted, then that is all you need to do.

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-21 6:55 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 7:16 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Aw Sue. asking the insomniacs here in the wee hours is like askig the inmates at the asylum
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 7:30 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

SueNY - 2006-03-21 11:39 PM

After an hour or so of trying to connect to the hotspot yesterday

were you successful in the end?

anyway, do you have vxutil installed? it is absolutely necessary when you're having problems with connecting.

have you been able to connect to any wlan network so far?
 Top of the page
SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-03-22 12:54 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

wallythacker - 2006-03-21 7:16 PM

Aw Sue. asking the insomniacs here in the wee hours is like askig the inmates at the asylum

LOL! It's cool, I wasn't upset or anything.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-03-26 5:45 AM
#
H/PC Elder

To answer your battery question it depends on how good your battery is. and the backlight setting. A refurbished battery should get 6-7 hours of wifi use, 9-10 hours without, maybe more in both circumstances.

In my experience the prism pcmcia cards all use the same amount of power. The CF prism cards are stingier and cards like my Symbol Spectrum 24 draw almost nothing. I get 6-7 hours using it with old battery packs.

Are you up to opening and replacing the cells in your battey pack? It's finicky but well worth it if your battery is marginal. New cells will cost you about $20.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 11