x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

hp620lx synch question

discover
discover Page Icon Posted 2005-01-04 5:26 AM
#
Hello, I just got an hp620lx in excellent conditions with cradle and all. It's winCE 2.0. What is the most recent version of MS synchronization services that will work with it? I'm running windows 2000 sp4.
Also, do you recommend buying the winCE 2.1 upgrade, and what's a reasonable price for it, or should I save the money and get myself a more recent HPC?
Thanks
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-04 8:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

discover - 2005-01-04 10:26 AM

Hello, I just got an hp620lx in excellent conditions with cradle and all. It's winCE 2.0. What is the most recent version of MS synchronization services that will work with it? I'm running windows 2000 sp4.
Also, do you recommend buying the winCE 2.1 upgrade, and what's a reasonable price for it, or should I save the money and get myself a more recent HPC?
Thanks

Congratulations on your purchase.
You want to look at ActiveSync 3.7.1. In the main navigation above go into Sync Software and then into ActiveSync. Everything you need is in there.
You should also look in support, at the bottom left of the page. There is alink to CE 2.0 SP1 and, if you plan on wanting to connect to a LAN, the NSP.

Whether you want the 2.11 upgrade. It is always nice to have, it adds value. However if it is worth the cost. That depends entirly on what you want to do with the device. If you can give us some ideas as to what you wish to do with it in the long term. Perhapse we can help you with some of the limitations you will face with your goal.
 Top of the page
discover
discover Page Icon Posted 2005-01-04 8:19 PM
#
C-Amie thanks. What I want to do in the long term. Musts: Portable document editing, possibly complex ones, as I'm editor of a magazine. On-the-road email with attachments. High wants: Exchange data with Outlook 2003 (calendars, contacts) and with Ecco Pro PIM. Wants: e-book reader. Maybe: some games for my children? On the desktop I'm running win2k sp4 and winxp sp1.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-04 8:44 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

For typing, get TextMaker. (Compatible?) Or just use the built in Pocket Word. You could also get pocketdos and run old dos versions of word or other programs with more features. Email, use the built in outlook, or npop. (Compatible?) Ebook reader: Mobipocket. Some games? Just search for them on google - depending on your processor, they are out there.

-Ok, so next time I'll research the device first! ...What magazine?
 Top of the page
discover
discover Page Icon Posted 2005-01-05 6:56 AM
#
ProgramSynthesiser thanks. Compatibility from author's websites:
TextMaker - packet pc 2000 and up.
npop - yes compatible.
Mobipocket - Win CE 2.0 (Palm-size PC): supported up to version 4.8 only
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-05 7:23 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I have had TextMaker running on my CE2 based 320LX. Review:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/software/textmaker-1-0/

PlanMaker will not though.

MobiPocket Review:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/software/mobipocket-reader/

Games wise, depending on your processor and screen type there are games ranging from card and corporate games up to Doom itself. There are a few games in the reviews section.
 Top of the page
discover
discover Page Icon Posted 2005-01-06 3:22 AM
#
C-Amie - 2005-01-05 7:23 AM

I have had TextMaker running on my CE2 based 320LX.

I was able to install it, but then it says "missing tmp.exe or one of its components." when I run it. I think it's because it wants pocket pc 2000. Or am I missing something?

BTW, using activesynch wasn't a breeze until I realized that my firewall software was stopping the partership. Firewall sw is such a common feature on today's PCs, I think you should mention this pitfall in your excellent web page on activesynch.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-06 10:17 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I've used the RTM of TextMaker on it. I have not tried the refresh release. That of course could be part of it. Drop SoftMaker's support an email, they are always helpful and can probably sort you out with the correct build.

It's already on the list - after the remainder of the ICS guides.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 44 - Executed queries : 26