x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Free streaming radio stations

1 2
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-04 3:41 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I just found this site Radio4PDA that lets you listen to low-bitrate (perfect for mobile internet connections of all kinds) radio stations through WMP (some have other options such as real audio, etc.).

I'm not sure if us HPC users can make use of these free streams or not, but I thought I'd share nonetheless.
 Top of the page
val48 Page Icon Posted 2006-04-22 7:47 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

hi thanks for the info on the radio stations Question though how do you get them to play--i click on the wmp file---got back wrong protocal or something--please let me know this would benefit alot people!
Thanks!!!!
val48
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-04-23 11:19 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Wow nice link! Thanks mscdex.

It surely works for CE.net devices (all my current CE devices have some version of .net as of now, except the Casio) because it comes with WMP9 or later. I just tried the streams now on the Nexio and it worked flawlessly.

For other versions I am not sure. IIRC the WMP 1.2 for HPC does not do streams. Perhaps you can try to install WMP 7.1 that can be downloaded from Microsoft. It's for PPC but I heard that it worked on HPC2000.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 1:03 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

What about streaming through TCPMP? I'm anxious to try this; I've reached the site on my MP790, but I'm not clear how to proceed from there. When clicking a station link, I get the "File Download" dialog box, but when I choose Open, I get an error message.

Now, on to more important questions. Hey, takwu, what's with this new signature?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 1:37 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
GSPlayer will stream *.pls files--I noticed that a few of the stations on that list offered a choice of both WMP and MP3. On your HPC, download the MP3 file, and open it though GSPlayer. For comedy, try Kaha radio. Free and raunchy and streams nicely through GSPlayer.

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 2:00 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, I chose a local station from the list, and it offers only WMP. I tapped on the link and got the download box again, and this time chose Save and chose Storage Card as the location. But then I couldn't find the file anywhere on the card. (So is it supposed to be a clip? That doesn't sound like streaming. Bear with me, I'm still an amateur; I've been online less than a year.)
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 2:10 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
CE Geek,

I will defer to experienced WMP players. I have never gotten WMP on my HPC 2000 device to do anything except play MP3s, and play them badly. I thought only PPC-ed hacked versions of WMP could stream on HPCs, but I'm no expert.

While we wait for somebody better versed than moi (Monica, where are you?), give GSPlayer a whirl, but you'd have to find a MP3 version on Radio4PDA. Are you sticking local because you want news? I have an NPR url that works with GSPlayer if you need it.

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 2:16 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'll keep it in mind. I do listen to NPR from time to time, but at the moment I'm more interested in downloading music. Mostly, though, I want to see the full extent of what my H/PCs can do.

Edited by CE Geek 2006-04-24 2:24 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 6:27 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2006-04-24 7:03 AM

What about streaming through TCPMP? I'm anxious to try this; I've reached the site on my MP790, but I'm not clear how to proceed from there. When clicking a station link, I get the "File Download" dialog box, but when I choose Open, I get an error message.

what about copying the url into tcpmp? it can parse the html to some extent.. to some extent

other than that, i don't know much on this subject, sorry...
 Top of the page
vinnielo Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 6:55 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

I run and manage Radio4PDA and have been made aware of your problems here in this forum. I'd like to try and offer a hand to those having difficulties.
I must admit I'm not familiar with the HPCs. What operating systems do they run on?
From the amount of CE coverage in this site, I'm guessing they are Windows-driven, but equally importantly, what version(s) are they're running?
If they are powered by WM 2002/2003/5.0, they should stream the stations without problems with the appropriate software installed, namely RealPlayer, WMP 9 or above and TCPMP (I've not tried GSPlayer).
If someone could provide me with info on these bits of details, I'll try and see what I can do to help out.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 7:14 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

vinnielo - 2006-04-24 12:55 PM

Hi,

I run and manage Radio4PDA and have been made aware of your problems here in this forum. I'd like to try and offer a hand to those having difficulties.
I must admit I'm not familiar with the HPCs. What operating systems do they run on?
From the amount of CE coverage in this site, I'm guessing they are Windows-driven, but equally importantly, what version(s) are they're running?
If they are powered by WM 2002/2003/5.0, they should stream the stations without problems with the appropriate software installed, namely RealPlayer, WMP 9 or above and TCPMP (I've not tried GSPlayer).
If someone could provide me with info on these bits of details, I'll try and see what I can do to help out.

hey, welcome here

hpc's are indeed windows CE based but aren't running windows mobile, their OS is more like the core of the pocketpc OS, but can run tcpmp. so maybe you just need to tell us what to do in tcpmp or realplayer maybe?

edit: most of the hpc's don't have WMP9. the newer ones do, and it seems those newer ones (with CE.net 4.x) have no problems. the problem is with hpc's running HPC2000 (it is a little like PPC2002, same core CE3.0)

Edited by cmonex 2006-04-24 7:17 AM
 Top of the page
vinnielo Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 8:12 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the info.
If the older versions of WMP does not support streaming, then there's not much I can do.
Also, I'm not too convinced the earlier versions of Pocket Internet Explorer handles different protocols too well.
With TCPMP and mp3/AAC+ streams, PIE should automatically download the pls. file and start up TCPMP. At least, that's what happens in Windows Mobile. If you find that downloading it to memory, then starting it up from that works, then I guess that is a suitable alternative.

As for RealPlayer, it can be downloaded and installed on the Pocket PC via ActiveSync (a WM term?). Just make sure that 1.0 or 1.1 is used. Strangely the download page can only be access from a PC, and not from PIE. http://www.real.com/realmobile/download.html
I'm guessing this will work for the newer HPCs that have the newest OSes installed.

As far as I'm aware, you ought to be using the correct players for the streams:
RealPlayer for RP streams, WMP for Windows Media streams, and TCPMP or alternatives for mp3/AAC+

Let me know of your progresses.

Edited by vinnielo 2006-04-24 8:13 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 12:49 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The 1.2 release doesn't supoort streaming, as has been mentioned. TCPMP supports the streaming containter, however lacks the codecs.
The WMP7 hack will however play the stream acceptably - BUT - I warn people that the mod makes an awful mess, uses a lot of RAM and will largely deregister 1.2.

Edit: This is for WMA streams clearly
 Top of the page
David G Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 2:08 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,

For the past several weeks, I have been playing with internet radio over my WIFI system. I've had pretty good results with both my Jornada 720 and Neta 980 (processor speeds 200+.

I can play some stations with my IBM z50 (lower bitrates 96 or less due to it's slower processor)

I have streamed using my IPAQ using bluetooth (also uses lower bitrate stations).

My software weapons of choice: Greensoft GSPlayer (J720) and TCPMP (Neta or J720) GSPlayer--> http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA032810/

My current favorite site: http://www.shoutcast.com/ <-- Hundreds of stations!

To play music:

Find a station you like using your PC (or Handheld). Right hand click on the link to save it. Give it a good name like: HotRock128.pls (The 128 is the bitrate - the default name is "shoutcast-playlist.pls".) Copy the file to your handheld and your should be good to go.

(Note: You can do all of this from your handheld - the shoutcast site is difficult to load on most handhelds.)

From GSPlayer open one of your save *.pls files to select a station. If the station is up and your WIFI is hot, get ready for some music!

DG
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 10:49 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Wow, I forgot how long ago I first posted about this

I'm glad to see that people have benefitted from this

If nothing else, I personally enjoy listening to my local stations from my desktop

Edited by mscdex 2006-04-24 10:50 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.233 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11