x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Open Source PDF Reader!!

1 2
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-20 7:07 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hehe, i do have a few psions myself, started with them in late 2000.. the hpc came only in late 2004 with a jornada 720 because i badly needed bluetooth.
epoc was the most stable OS i ever saw and used..
5mx pro ? hehe, just recently got one with a cracked screen but it works fine except the touch screen. (do you know what was the key combination to activate the builtin taskmanager ?? i once read about it somewhere but i forgot ... without that, it isn't true for me about epoc that you can handle it strictly with the keyboard without a stylus!)

speed of pdf+ ? well it wasnt bad considering the psion had 36 Mhz. i was OK with that, but the compatibility with extra chars was bad... now this is at least on topic hehe.

as for epoc software.. i do use a few with hpc2000 that isn't available for epoc, a fully compatible pdf reader being one of them, another is a good navigation software for my country (epoc tomtom doesnt have a good map for my country), and so on (there's a few more).
this is because hpc2000+ can run ppc apps (both the pdf and the nav soft are ppc stuff.. lol). so there's more apps for them than for psions, but only because of this.

i know the site (pscience5, right?), have been watching it from the start.. it is nicely developing..! mscdex has started doing the same for hpc's, and you know about handheld attitude, don't you.
but yeah more software houses could/should release their apps as freeware if they wont sell them any more... heck, at least you can buy textmaker for hpc's, unlike with epoc.
this idea about porting apps is very good, i'm now really sad that i'm not a programmer..
is rainer keuchel unreachable atm? did you try to contact him?
 Top of the page Quote Reply
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-04-21 12:12 PM
#
Completely off-topic... hope it doesn't upset the moderator...

cmonex - 2006-04-20 7:07 PM
epoc was the most stable OS i ever saw and used..
5mx pro ? hehe, just recently got one with a cracked screen but it works fine except the touch screen. (do you know what was the key combination to activate the builtin taskmanager ?? i once read about it somewhere but i forgot ... without that, it isn't true for me about epoc that you can handle it strictly with the keyboard without a stylus!)

True for epoc. All my psions have **never** crashed, in years of use.
For the task manager: CTRL+J.
You can find a long list of keyboard shortcuts for epoc here (a reference site for epoc).

I have a screen for a Series 5 that I don't use anymore because the lcd started to show some (many!) dead pixels. Maybe it is possible to remove the touch sensitive surface. Contact me by PM if you are interested.

this is because hpc2000+ can run ppc apps (both the pdf and the nav soft are ppc stuff.. lol). so there's more apps for them than for psions, but only because of this.

This is something I haven't have time to try on my machines, yet. I have browsed the documentation here and it seems like one needs some luck to find the right combination of support dll's.
However, what is NOT clear to me is: when you use a ppc app, does the screen expand to that of an hpc or not? Or does it depend on how the application itself is written?

i know the site (pscience5, right?), have been watching it from the start.. it is nicely developing..! mscdex has started doing the same for hpc's, and you know about handheld attitude, don't you.

Yes it is. The nice thing of pscience5 is that the applications are stored locally, and this avoids broken links, updated pages and so that occur so frequently in handheld attitude. Handheld attitude is also very difficult to navigate, at least if you don't use IE, I don't know, I use firefox on all my machines.
mscdex is doing a fantastic job on this side.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-21 3:06 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

don't worry about the moderators

thanks for the taskmanager hotkey... why cant it be something more intuitive than ctrl+j.
also thanks very much for the offer about the touch screen but i'd need a whole new screen as the lcd is cracked too not too bad but doesn't look very nice & afraid it will get worse.

as for the dlls usually a certain version of the dlls is the best, if not, then you can try the other less used dlls. it isn't too hard to do.
some ppc apps will expand to full screen, some won't.
the pdf reader this thread is supposed to be about ( ) just needs an aygshell.dll for cenet hpc's, didnt try it on hpc2000 yet, but it may need OS version hexediting (very easy to do).

btw, IE and opera 8.5 work fine with handheld attitude, i dunno about firefox.
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.136 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 8