x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Confused about how to partition a CF card (total newbie)

1 2 3
entoboy
entoboy Page Icon Posted 2006-06-20 4:02 PM
#
Sorry, here's more detail. This is what I typed. (I already typed in mkdir /mnt/flash1, so I assume it already made it the first time, hence its saying "file exists," so I'm not too worried about that, but the bash: permission denied worries me....)

root@2[~]# su
root@2[root]# mkdir /mnt/flash1
mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/flash1': File exists
root@2[root]# mkdir /mnt/flash2
mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/flash2': File exists
root@2[root]# /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash1 vfat noauto.user.rw 0 0
bash: /dev/sda1: Permission denied
root@2[root]# /dev/sda2 /mnt/flash2 auto noauto.user.rw 0 0
bash: /dev/sda2: Permission denied

THANKS EVERYON!
 Top of the page
entoboy
entoboy Page Icon Posted 2006-06-20 4:03 PM
#
Sorry, here's more detail. This is what I typed. (I already typed in mkdir /mnt/flash1, so I assume it already made it the first time, hence its saying "file exists," so I'm not too worried about that, but the bash: permission denied worries me....)

root@2[~]# su

THANKS EVERYONE!
 Top of the page
entoboy
entoboy Page Icon Posted 2006-06-20 4:04 PM
#

root@2[~]# su

THANKS EVERYONE!

PS, I'm REALLY sorry about it repeating so much. I don't know what happened, and I don't know how to delete them! Sorry!

Edited by entoboy 2006-06-20 4:07 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-23 6:54 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Lol. As I mentioned before, there is no GUI with the base. And until snickers either gives me write permission to his server or does it himself, I can't get a deb of kdrive on there. The base _will_ include multiple gui's, and we should get more out as soon as I can round up the developers.

I am definitely working on getting a server up, but my hard drive has been scrambled a bit due to a certain file manager selecting files by itself when I hit delete...

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-06-23 6:55 PM
 Top of the page
entoboy
entoboy Page Icon Posted 2006-06-23 8:30 PM
#
So... are you saying that's a problem with knoppix? Should I use a different live cd? Is there one that's known to work? (Sorry if I totally missed your point) I really don't mind burning a different linux cd other than knoppix... I mean, what versions of linux do most people use to set up their jornadas?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-25 4:07 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Oh, haha! It seems that you edited your post as I was replying!

I did tell you that you had to insert those lines into the bottom of the file /etc/fstab..

try mcedit /etc/fstab to make your life make more sense.

As far as the directories, they already existed. Let's just try the following:

mount /dev/sda1

What happens? And if it gets an error, try

mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1

Post your results, and I will get to booting knoppix to figure out exactly what the problem is. Live cd's are a bit weirder than a normal install.
 Top of the page
entoboy
entoboy Page Icon Posted 2006-06-25 5:51 PM
#
yeah, umm, I don't know what a file /etc/fstab is.... haha. Ok, so, mount /dev/sda1 brought no error, but mount /dev/sda2 said it didn't recognize the filetype (even though I clearly labeled it linux, but again, another problem... I don't see any ext2 option. I just see the closest one, 83- linux...) Anyway, I tried mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1 and tried the same with sda2, and it seemed to work. I looked in mcedit /etc/fstab and it listed both sda1 and sda2 appropriately (/dev/sda1 /mnt/flash1 vfat noauto,user,rw 0 0 , /dev/sda2 /mnt/flash2 auto noauto,user,rw 0 0, so I assumed it worked ok...) Anyway, i successfully extracted eerything on the right partitions, but after every file, I got a permission denied as far as changing gui or dui or something to 0. (sorry, i couldn't get more details... it all went by really quickly...) The files all got on the right partitions anyway, but when I tried to run linexec, the booting only continued to a cetain point before saying it had a problem with initrd... anyway, I'll try to get more details later. Thanks a bunch!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-26 10:00 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Did you format the sda2 as ext2? mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda2

I'll check into it myself, it really shouldn't be this hard.
 Top of the page
entoboy
entoboy Page Icon Posted 2006-06-27 4:18 AM
#
Yeah, but still no luck. ONce again, everything extracted, but after every file, I got a "could not change ownership, permission denied" despite the fact that I was root... BAH, I'm getting close to giving up until this gets simpler... which is probably never... in which case, potential Jornada for sale!! =)

Edited by entoboy 2006-06-27 4:20 AM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-28 2:21 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Lol, it will get simpler very soon. Chazco's installer will be gold soon, and we will use it as well. But really, the current install is not that hard, I just have not had the time to help you out. However, tomorrow it looks like I will actually have some time off. Try contacting me on instant messenger.

EDIT: I added you to my list, you will probably see a message from me tomorrow.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-06-28 2:26 AM
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-06-28 2:50 AM
#
Chazco's installer will be gold soon, and we will use it as well.

When we make the JLime 7xx port we should have an ARM compatible installer, which may be able to install 720 degrees with some slight modifications. Shouldnt be too long now. We're just finishing off the SH3 version first.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-28 3:07 AM
#
H/PC Elder

It shouldn't need any modification at all - if you can just get it to make a filesystem .gz into a image file and copy that to the existing FAT partition of the compactflash card, it will work with everything. What are you doing again, exactly?
 Top of the page
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-06-28 8:51 AM
#
Its quite complicated, its not as simple as copying an image (thats what the old one did). I'll post more details when the JLime one is completely finished (at current it works well, but still under slight refinements).
 Top of the page
entoboy
entoboy Page Icon Posted 2006-06-28 1:38 PM
#
Alrighty, well, someonet let me know when Chazco's installer is done! I'll be waiting eagerly =) Thanks all!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-28 6:25 PM
#
H/PC Elder

For all who are curious, Guest is chazco.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 25