x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Linux Forum Organization

Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-04-23 7:55 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I think that it would be a good idea to break this forum into sub-forums for each of the different Linux distros. There could be a general area for topics pertaining to Linux in general or that are applicable across multiple distributions.

Another problem is that right now, the thread on 720 degrees linux has gotten huge (28 pages). There is a lot of great info in this thread, but it is very hard to access the help you need when it is in such a huge, multi-topic thread. It would be a very good idea to keep threads to a single topic. The search engine doesn't deal well with multipage-threads. If I were to search for "instaling x server", I would get referred to this huge thread, but have absolutely no idea where in the thread to look. Keeping threads to a single topic is particularly important while this forum remains one of the sole sources of help, until more formals FAQs/documentation are developed.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 2:41 AM
#
Well, if HPCFactor decide that the dont want to/cant have subforums i would be happy to put a section specifically for HPC Linux, split into subforums on my new PHPBB (i'm redesigning my website).

It would be better to have this forum split though i must agree...
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 8:49 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Hmm... My issue with this is that where do you stop the subdivisions? And what about distros that already have their own forum, such as JLime?

Proposals, please, as to exactly what you'd like. I'm not saying it would get done, but a bit more detail on the proposal would help greatly
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 10:28 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I think it would be nice at this point to have sub-forums for:

Jlime
Netbsd
720 Degrees

It would also be nice if there were some unofficial enforcement of a "one issue per thread" rule. Right now, these forums are just about the only help/support resource for those of us who are experimenting with running new OSes on HPC devices. Keeping threads to a single topic would help ensure that information remains easily searchable.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-04-25 11:46 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

My slight concern is that jlime has their own forum... Let me see what the HPCFactor team thinks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-04-25 12:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Simple answer. I can't sub forum this BBS.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-04-25 10:26 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Good.

I could not help but be irritated when reading this thread....720degrees will have its own forum, so that we can keep things more organized ourselves. It is a project, and therefore needs many different forums and threads. For Factor to do that would be unreasonable. Remember, Linux really was a second thought on here.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-04-26 4:05 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

OK, that's that one done then - thanks Chris
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.157 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9