x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Who else has an HP 200LX?

CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-04-26 3:37 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I got me the above device a few months ago, and it's a cool toy, but I'm still trying to figure out what I can do with it. In particular, I'm wondering if/how I can run DOS (5.0 and earlier, of course) apps from a storage card in the PCMCIA slot. I'm also interested in getting a PCMCIA floppy drive to edit text files on floppies that I have (and maybe to install some old DOS apps if possible). But if I get that, I figure I might as well get one that is CE compatible (particularly a SuperDisk drive, as another possible expansion medium for running apps). I know it's not a true H/PC, but it was perhaps the primary device to pave the way for the H/PC.

Any suggestions? (And any software to recommend?)
 Top of the page Quote Reply
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-27 5:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i have a 95lx and a 200lx

hey dont you know the cool software sites? there's alot... need to find the link but i'm sure you've seen it
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-04-29 3:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I checked one of the links Pavel gave in this thread:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4497&pos...

Lots of cool stuff, but I haven't gotten anything to work yet, because apparently I don't have usable external storage media. Not yet having a PCMCIA floppy drive, I tried reading from a FAT16-formatted CF card using a PCMCIA adapter. But the 200LX says "invalid media type." I'd swear it had read another CF card I tried. Am I wrong? Can't the 200LX read CF cards as long as they are formatted in FAT16?
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-29 9:48 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

the 200lx is picky about cf cards. some work, some require an extra driver, some don't work at all. experiment and you can run apps from the cf card, don't worry

edit: this would be the site i talked about: http://www.hp200lx.net/super.html

Edited by cmonex 2006-04-29 9:53 AM
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-04-30 12:12 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's basically the same one as Pavel gave a link to. (Cool site - lots of good stuff.) Tested a few in Command Prompt in XP - some work there, and the graphics are pretty cool for DOS apps. (I'm still looking forward to a possible freeware DOS emulator for H/PC [though I have downloaded PocketDOS just in case that doesn't pan out]; it'd be cool to see the graphics in color on a handheld device.) Thanx for the education about CF cards in the 200LX too, cmonex. I'll see if I can scrounge up a few other CF cards to try.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-02 5:08 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Okay, found a CF card that the 200LX can read, but several of the apps won't run on the CF card, instead saying there's not enough RAM. Still working on it, though.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-03 4:09 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Okay, now I've got 'em working. Even a few WAV files. (Needless to say, sound isn't great - even the J680 beats it a mile - but it's kinda cool hearing custom sounds.) Good thing this device came with its manual (which is bigger than the device itself), or I never would have figured some of it out.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 48 - Executed queries : 25