x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Smartphone & PocketPC Magazine & HPC:Factor

Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-04-29 11:56 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

"For those in the United States who subscribe to Smartphone & PocketPC magazine, flip over to page 81. There you will see our favorite little H/PC website with a reminder to the readers that the Handheld PC community is alive and well!

This was a nice surprise to see this month and we are thankful to the magazine for giving us a mention"

That's wonderful news....I haven't seem the magazine out on the newsstands yet, so I've not read the article, but I hope it brings some more traffic to this website!
 Top of the page Quote Reply
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-04-30 1:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I have no doubt that it will. We've been growing at a rapid clip lately - about 100 members a month for the past few months by my calculations. Seems like not long ago we were celebrating 1000 members; now we're rapidly approaching 2000. Keep 'em comin'.
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-30 4:58 AM
#
H/PC Elder

It was smart of the mag to mention this site. Even if the mention creates converts the mag might have bought some more brand loyalty for themselves.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-04-30 5:50 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hurricane John - 2006-04-30 4:56 AM

"For those in the United States who subscribe to Smartphone & PocketPC magazine, flip over to page 81. There you will see our favorite little H/PC website with a reminder to the readers that the Handheld PC community is alive and well!

This was a nice surprise to see this month and we are thankful to the magazine for giving us a mention"

That's wonderful news....I haven't seem the magazine out on the newsstands yet, so I've not read the article, but I hope it brings some more traffic to this website!
ha ha ha ha, I seem to recall it having an authors name on it. Let me see if I can fish that out. Ottini something I think it was.

Thanks John. I think if we tally up all the beer this site owes you, we're looking at a couple of kegs worth now.
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-04-30 6:53 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Chris

You owe me nothing......this website has given me such enjoyment and I've been able to make friends with people around the world (that I have never meet) - it's been a blast. Hopefully, this will continue for many years to come.

Thanks for all your hard work, I know it's a labour of love, but it's gotta make you crazy sometimes....thanks for carrying on even through the crazy times.

Cheers
John
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-04-30 7:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

aww *goes red*

There's yet more to be done though. Recognition by the powers at PPCM is a terrific thing, but it's a case of them reminding themselves of what we already know. What we need is for the readership to hear the message also.
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-05-01 8:58 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2006-04-30 7:16 PM

There's yet more to be done though. Recognition by the powers at PPCM is a terrific thing, but it's a case of them reminding themselves of what we already know. What we need is for the readership to hear the message also.

Hmmmm - I feel a rant coming.....

I agree completely, but my personal experience in dealing with them doesn't breed optimism on this topic. There are many little things that they could have/can do to keep the HPC platform alive, but have not done.

Here are a few examples:

1. Through the years, there have been many PPC related software reviews which failed to mention that an HPC version of that software is also available.
2. They have had a regular column in each issue (titled) What's Online but I have yet to see a single HPC website mentioned.
3. The New Software and Accessories column in each issue does have a Handheld PC catogory, but the research on whether there is an HPC version available is a weak effort at best.

There are probably more examples but they don't come to mind at the moment.

I want to make something perfectly clear, I don't believe that any of the above actions on the part of the magazine are done to intentionally exclude HPC coverage...it's just a matter of catering to what they believe their readers want. There is no denying that the PPC market is much bigger than the HPC market ever was and after all they are in the business to make money....so I completely understand their predicament.

I believe that the management at PPC mag are very pro HPC, but their core readership is not and therefore they are not going to stay in business very long trying to cater to HPC users. The best we can expect is to have them throw us a bone once and awhile......in any case we will take whatever we can get.

[Shameless Plug] -When it comes to promoting and supporting the HPC platform, I have much more faith in HP:Factor and the other active HPC related internet websites then I do in what happens at PPC mag. I say this with all respect to the good people at PPC mag!

Done - now back to work...all of you
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-01 9:54 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hurricane John - 2006-05-01 1:58 PM

C:Amie - 2006-04-30 7:16 PM

Hmmmm - I feel a rant coming.....

I agree completely, but my personal experience in dealing with them doesn't breed optimism on this topic. There are many little things that they could have/can do to keep the HPC platform alive, but have not done.

Here are a few examples:

1. Through the years, there have been many PPC related software reviews which failed to mention that an HPC version of that software is also available.
2. They have had a regular column in each issue (titled) What's Online but I have yet to see a single HPC website mentioned.
3. The New Software and Accessories column in each issue does have a Handheld PC catogory, but the research on whether there is an HPC version available is a weak effort at best.

There are probably more examples but they don't come to mind at the moment.

I want to make something perfectly clear, I don't believe that any of the above actions on the part of the magazine are done to intentionally exclude HPC coverage...it's just a matter of catering to what they believe their readers want. There is no denying that the PPC market is much bigger than the HPC market ever was and after all they are in the business to make money....so I completely understand their predicament.

I believe that the management at PPC mag are very pro HPC, but their core readership is not and therefore they are not going to stay in business very long trying to cater to HPC users. The best we can expect is to have them throw us a bone once and awhile......in any case we will take whatever we can get.

[Shameless Plug] -When it comes to promoting and supporting the HPC platform, I have much more faith in HP:Factor and the other active HPC related internet websites then I do in what happens at PPC mag. I say this with all respect to the good people at PPC mag!

Traitor!

What tretchary is this of which you speak. Who is this HP:Factor! I demand to know!
Why hast thou forsaken us!

The guys at Thaddeus are extremely Handheld PC friendly, thay love those little guys. Like you say though, they have to follow the market place. Would be nice to get a little more coverage in the magazine, especially to tell people that they are there - would help redress some other issues.
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-05-01 10:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hurricane John - 2006-05-01 8:58 AM

Hey John, if by work you mean some good hpcs games...
I'm with you
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-02 3:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2006-05-01 6:54 AM
What tretchary is this of which you speak. Who is this HP:Factor! I demand to know!

Hewlett-Packard: factor?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-02 6:07 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You know of this place too CE Geek?

We might have to exile the pair of you

lol, sorry John, I think I started something
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9