x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: Microsoft Entertainment Pack for Windows CE 2.0

[Frozen]
1 2 3 4 5
Frozen
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 4:17 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Remind me not to challenge you to a chess game anytime soon, or later for that matter
 Top of the page Quote Reply
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 4:18 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've been in a slump lately - you never know.
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 1:53 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek - 2006-05-06 3:35 AM

It (CEEP 2.0) is a cool collection of games. I'm looking around (eBay + Google) for a better price than the $33 that my local Fry's Electronics still insists on selling their one copy for. (I may sound cheap, but software costs do add up, and I gotta figure they'd have marked down further software for an OS that's almost nine years old. Anyway, I'm always looking for the best deal.) The blackjack game is supposed to be particularly good. I suspect that the chess program is pretty weak, though, considering that the desktop Windows Entertainment Pack versions routinely leave pieces en prise. (Maybe my standards are a bit high there; I'm a USCF-rated expert who also has a World Chess Federation [FIDE] rating, and who once beat a grandmaster who was a two-time champion of Great Britain.) :blink:

I agree, CE Geek. I mainly want it for freecell. Granted, there are other versions of freecell at Handheld Attitude, but the other games in WCEEP2.0 are a nice bonus, I suppose. Still, I don't want to pay $35 for "outdated" software--outdated to the masses, that is. I am thinking about visiting the used section at my local EBGames.

By the way, congratulations on your chess prowess.

(1111th post)

Did you make a wish? ;+)
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-07 2:39 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No, but I built a picket fence.
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-05-11 4:09 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
John,

I got my Pack 2.0 CD yesterday, and it's been fun to follow the review with the real thing. One thing I noticed, and I wonder if you can repeat this on a MIPS CE 2.0 device--on my sharp Mobilon 4100, Sink a Ship will start up, but the moment you choose a player setting (which is the first screen), the program exits. It does not crash the machine, and the rest of the programs run fine.

Sink a Ship et al also run fine on my Jornada 720. Re: no CE 2.0 MIPS Sink a Ship, I don't really care personally, since BlackJack and Hearts are the only games I want, and I'll probably uninstall everything on the Sharp, since space is tight.

But I was just wondering if you could replicate the error for the edification of others who might want to play that game on an early CE model.

Jake
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-13 10:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Just got WCEEP 2 on eBay for $5 including S&H. (Bid during the last minute. No other bids.) Can't wait to get it.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-13 11:17 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

geez.. this thing has a lot of cool games. what sucks is that i'd feel the shipping costs to be too much to send a cd here. around 20$ usually.. isn't worth it.. you lucky americans
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 2:49 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2006-05-11 4:09 PM

John,

I got my Pack 2.0 CD yesterday, and it's been fun to follow the review with the real thing. One thing I noticed, and I wonder if you can repeat this on a MIPS CE 2.0 device--on my sharp Mobilon 4100, Sink a Ship will start up, but the moment you choose a player setting (which is the first screen), the program exits. It does not crash the machine, and the rest of the programs run fine.

Sink a Ship et al also run fine on my Jornada 720. Re: no CE 2.0 MIPS Sink a Ship, I don't really care personally, since BlackJack and Hearts are the only games I want, and I'll probably uninstall everything on the Sharp, since space is tight.

But I was just wondering if you could replicate the error for the edification of others who might want to play that game on an early CE model.

Jake

Jake

I don't have a CE 2.0 H/PC, but I did try the MIPS version on my MP 780 CE 2.11 (HPC Pro) and it worked just fine.

Notice that there are two MIPS CAB file versions of Sink the Ships included with the software, one is css_HPC_mips.CAB while the other is css_JUP_mips.CAB.

The JUP version is for CE 2.11 also known as HPC Pro, while the other is for CE 2.0.....are you sure you are using the right one??
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 3:02 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I think so. I tried installing by CAB (I believe the CAB name is ss_HPC_MIPS) along with the needed common file cab, and I tried installing from the CD itself.

Furthermore, when I tried installing even BlackJack on my Velo 1 (CE 2.0 upgrade), it'll "successfully" install but it won't even start. I wonder if that might have something to do with the hardware upgrade, but I'm not certain.

Ironic that CE 2.0 is problematic when you'd figure that HPC2000 would have the difficulties. CE Geek is getting a Pack CD and let's see if he has better luck or workarounds.

Jake
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 3:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I don't recall ever having issues with CE2
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 9:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Jake - 2006-05-14 12:02 PM

I think so. I tried installing by CAB (I believe the CAB name is ss_HPC_MIPS) along with the needed common file cab, and I tried installing from the CD itself.

Furthermore, when I tried installing even BlackJack on my Velo 1 (CE 2.0 upgrade), it'll "successfully" install but it won't even start. I wonder if that might have something to do with the hardware upgrade, but I'm not certain.

Ironic that CE 2.0 is problematic when you'd figure that HPC2000 would have the difficulties. CE Geek is getting a Pack CD and let's see if he has better luck or workarounds.

Jake

I'll let you know as soon as I get it.
SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-05-14 11:01 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CE Geek - 2006-05-13 10:59 PM

Just got WCEEP 2 on eBay for $5 including S&H. (Bid during the last minute. No other bids.) Can't wait to get it.

That was you? I had that auction on my watch list all week and was all set to bid and wouldn't you know it....I wasn't able to get online to bid until it was too late.

I hope there'll be more auctions like that. No way I am going to pay the $30-$40 the other ebay sellers want.

Sue
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-15 1:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Aw, man, I hate it when one of us gets in the way of another member winning something on eBay. Sorry, SueNY. I was feeling so good about my deal, and just assumed that no one else here was looking for it at the moment. By all means, don't pay what the other vendor is asking right now. I had put it on my search list, and have also been checking Handheld Software on a daily basis. There'll definitely be more chances; I missed some other good deals (like Jake's) before I got this one.
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-05-15 8:33 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I've put myself at the bottom of the queue, so to speak. We should start a thread or something regarding eBay purchases/want lists. Then, we can avoid bidding against each other on software, units, cases, etc. :+) By the way, I did see one eBay store that had it for $26.99, I think, but shipping was about $11 or $12. I don't see how shipping could *legitimately* be more than about $5. In the end, you'd be better off going to Fry's. At this point, if I could find it for less than $30 shipped, I'd probably grab it. :+/

Edited by KBoyKool 2006-05-15 8:34 AM
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-15 9:09 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

1 2 3 4 5
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9