x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

how to partition a CF card using WinCE

1 2
ntware Page Icon Posted 2006-05-03 11:09 PM
#
H/PC Elite

hi folks! i'm loving this site, it have many informations about my jornada 720 and I'm getting very interesting programs for it...I saw some pictures of linux runing on these little babies and I want mine runing it too, but I don't have a CF card reader. Can I partition a CF using my own jornada in WindowsCE?? does anyone know about a program to do it? thanx a lot!!!!!!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-05-03 11:41 PM
#
H/PC Elder

AFAIK, in a nutshell, no.
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 12:03 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

wallythacker - 2006-05-03 11:41 PM

AFAIK, in a nutshell, no.

Not for making a Linux partition anyway. There are utilities for use under WinCE for partitioning and formatting CF cards. (Pocket Mechanic from Anton Tomov should work with some hacking if you're running an Xscale CE.NET H/PC. Not sure if it will run on a J720 tho.) But I don't know of any that let you set the partition descriptor to anything other than some form of FAT partition.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 12:05 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Your best bet, ntware, is to buy a CF card reader. I have one and it works great..
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 12:59 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Agreed, get a multi card reader. Geeks.com had a multi card reader last week or so for $1.99
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 1:24 PM
#
H/PC Elite

thanx for the help folks, but I don't live in USA....I live in Brasil and things like that are not very comon here...but I will try to find some...maybe after spent some $$$ I will be able to import one from USA...hehehe thanx!
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 1:35 PM
#
H/PC Elite

YESS!! I found on mercadolivre.com.br, a brazilian selling site, a 6x1 card reader for R$18,90!! hahaha....great! I think that in a few days I will be with it here in my hands. Then is just learn how to install the LINUX in my jornada! thanx again for the support! hehe..see ya
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 5:51 PM
#
ntware - 2006-05-04 7:35 PM
Then is just learn how to install the LINUX in my jornada!

Check first www.handhelds.org/projects/jornada720.html.
Another interesting link is radiolivre.org/darksnow/jornada .
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 10:11 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Actually, http://720degrees.org/ is the most important place for him to go.
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 5:51 AM
#
ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-05-05 4:11 AM

Actually, http://720degrees.org/ is the most important place for him to go.

Of course...
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 12:32 PM
#
H/PC Elite

yeah...i've read all the sites and stuffs and i think that i'm ready now to install it... i'm just waitn' my CF reader to come. I think that the hardest part will be for partitioning my CF under linux, cz I don't have much experience on it, as I have on Windows. but I've been working on a brazilian version of Knoppix called Kurumin and it sounds very interesting. I think that I will can use it to partition my CF. After, it's easy... almost just copy some files to CF and that's it! hahah I'm just wondering about how can I sync my files with PC, like, my PIM stuff and all???
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 12:40 PM
#
H/PC Elite

one more thing after linux instalation on my jornada 720.... you guys that have it running in you jornada 720, does it runs well (I mean...fast)??!? What GUI do you recomend to me for the first try: OPIE or GME??

thanx
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 9:12 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

We are still working on a default GUI. So far, I have only tried standard ones like fluxbox, windowmaker, and so on. I will get around to OPIE sometime....

PIM? Still working on that too.
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-05-08 5:27 AM
#
ntware - 2006-05-06 6:32 PM

yeah...i've read all the sites and stuffs and i think that i'm ready now to install it... i'm just waitn' my CF reader to come. I think that the hardest part will be for partitioning my CF under linux, cz I don't have much experience on it, as I have on Windows. but I've been working on a brazilian version of Knoppix called Kurumin and it sounds very interesting. I think that I will can use it to partition my CF. After, it's easy... almost just copy some files to CF and that's it!

Yes, you can use Knoppix or derivatives to do everything.
Please note that to work on the filesystem you **must** be root!
I don't remember exactly how it goes in Knoppix (there are too many Live CDs with different settings!) but the safer way is:

-- boot knoppix;
-- when you are in the graphical screen, press CRTL+ALT+F2 to open a text terminal (much faster than terminals in X);
-- execute the command: "su passwd" end enter a password for the root account (might be also simple, you'll lose it when you end your Knoppix session);
-- to become root, execute: "su" and enter the password you used in the previous step;
-- insert the CF card in the reader and connect that to the USB port;
-- after some seconds the system should say something about having found a new USB device /dev/sda, and (maybe) that it has been mounted as /dev/sda1;
-- execute: "cfdisk /dev/sda/;
-- if the command complains saying that /dev/sdaX (X=integer) is already mounted, unmount it with "umount /dev/sdaX";
-- repeat "cfdisk /dev/sda" until you manage to start the application;
-- partition the CF card, according to the instruction you find in Linux distribution you want to install.

To copy the files to the CF card, you could use "mc" (always being root), which is a clone of Norton Commander and is very user-friendly for tehse tasks.

Hope this helps
Believe me, it is much simpler than it seems
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2006-05-08 1:42 PM
#
H/PC Elite

thanx again for the help.....I'm now just waitin my CF reader to come... I think that the only problem will be in Linux detecting my CD reader, because I've already partitioned a HD using Linux and it's easy. but if it can detect everything automatically so it's fine! I thought that I should need some &^$*# command to make Linux recognize my CF reader.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 9