x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Clio NXT!

1 2 3 4
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 8:16 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Why dont you become a registered user on HPC:Factor?
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Dale Jones
Dale Jones Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 9:58 PM
#
I can only assume the post before this was for me. OK, I'll become a registered member. Here I go.................................
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 10:03 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wait.... just an enterprise solution??? not for the normal user?

awww...

edit: btw will you be getting that clio as a gift? hmmm i should become a clio flagwaver too

anyway if they would mean it for the plain customer too, i'd be more happy. i really like the hpc concept, you see. but this will fail just the other attempts did.

Edited by cmonex 2006-05-05 10:05 PM
Dale Jones
Dale Jones Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 10:04 PM
#
I'm official.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 10:05 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Dale Jones - 2006-05-06 4:04 AM

I'm official.

congratulations!!
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 10:08 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yes, go Dale Jones!
Dale Jones
Dale Jones Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 10:30 PM
#
Actually, there are many normal users (like me) out there. Clio was such a "cult" hit that I'm expecting retailers to come on board. Dell was lined
up to sell the unit, and (according to Sowah) is still planning to even after a
delay (in the product's release) of over a year.

Here's a big key. Nobody else is selling a product like this.

A few tried, Bsquare, Pison and maybe HP (I'm not sure when the latest Jornada hpc was released), but couldn't do it.

And honestly, until now, the product was ahead of it's time.

Now, I can add a portable USB 80 gig harddrive if I want. I can add SD storage cards that are 2 gigs or more. I can have wireless access,
MP3's, look at my photos (from my SD card digital camera), plug in other card readers to my USB slot.

Windows CE has it's good points, and one of the best is the lack of viruses.
This is a bigger selling point to companies than you might think. Instant on, off. Loooooooooooong battery life. And, it's software makes it more than a pda.

Sowah says Clio NXT will be between a laptop and pda, but closer to a laptop. I think that hits it right on the nose as to what is right for many of us.

Dale Jones
Dale Jones Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 10:56 PM
#
I have a degree in PR and have put out countless fires for Data Evolution on the web. I've advised Robert Sowah on a number of issues and, at one time anyway, was the voice of "Clio."

Once, there was talk of bringing me into the company. But, I think that ended with the long delay the company had to endure before releasing their products.

Anyway, I am a speaker/performer in my own right. I became a PR major because most performers have to hire them anyway. It turned out to be a good plan. My web-site is at: www.dalejones.com. By going there you will see that I've managed to get myself in "People Magazine" and (in a front page 2000 word article) in "USA Today" not to mention many national television shows.

I'm telling you this only because I want you to understand I deserve the Clio I'm getting. There have been a lot of late nights, etc.! It was not "a walk in the park!"
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 10:57 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Dale Jones - 2006-05-05 12:37 PM

I bet you can't find a small tablet/convertable of any kind for less than $1000 . . .

Well, kinda...

http://computers.search.ebay.com/averatec-c3500_Laptops-Notebooks_W...

Or...
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4423

And so on...
Dale Jones
Dale Jones Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 11:14 PM
#
Sorry, I'm writing this on an XP tablet/convertable Averatec C3500 and I don't consider it "small" by any means. I would not like to carry it around!

As for the new little umpc (or whatever you call it), that is not a tablet/ convertable. There is no keyboard.
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 11:16 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Dale Jones - 2006-05-05 9:56 PM

I have a degree in PR and have put out countless fires for Data Evolution on the web. I've advised Robert Sowah on a number of issues and, at one time anyway, was the voice of "Clio."

Once, there was talk of bringing me into the company. But, I think that ended with the long delay the company had to endure before releasing their products.

Anyway, I am a speaker/performer in my own right. I became a PR major because most performers have to hire them anyway. It turned out to be a good plan. My web-site is at: www.dalejones.com. By going there you will see that I've managed to get myself in "People Magazine" and (in a front page 2000 word article) in "USA Today" not to mention many national television shows.

I'm telling you this only because I want you to understand I deserve the Clio I'm getting. There have been a lot of late nights, etc.! It was not "a walk in the park!"

Please don't!!! The Clio NXT is nice though, just too much $.
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 11:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Dale, I applaud your hard work for Clio. Every firm needs staunch devotees to wave the banner and spread the word. I'm sure you've made converts and helped silence the FUD crowd.

Having said that, hpc users are a pretty tight-fisted bunch, otherwise we'd all have a Sig III and the fancy Netbook Pro or whatever it's called.

I think we're all pretty tech savvy as well. We expect a *lot* of bang for the buck. If pdas ship with 256mb we expect the next-gen hpc to at least equal that. It's a given we expect wifi, USB, bluetooth, dual or triple slots and so on. And I personally won't pay more than $500 all in.

I think Data Evolution have a steep hill to climb at $1000 (or even $800)
Dale Jones
Dale Jones Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 11:30 PM
#
Please don't what? Think many would think my flag-waving for Clio was a walk in the park?

I bet you can eventually own a Clio NXT, even if you can't afford one right away. Ebay, refurbished, etc. I had to wait a year-and-a-half to pick up a slightly used (but under warranty) Clio-1050 for $750.00. My daughter, wife, and I still use it today.
Dale Jones
Dale Jones Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 11:50 PM
#
Ok. But, what difference does it make if you have 64 mb memory if you can plug in a hard drive? My old Clio 1050 has a 32mb compactflash card in it. Did you know (even that -now considered tiny little card) can hold about 300 novels? I still have "pocket streets" maps on that card of places I travel to. Besides pictures, "word" documents, etc.

I'm sure you do expect many slots, wi-fi, etc. and you'll have them on a Clio. $500.00 will buy you a nice PDA and an underpowered laptop.
But, Clio is truly special.

It has a form factor nobody has ever even come close to. If you've never owned one or used one, you've really missed out.

My Clio 1050 still turns heads today, six years after it came out!
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-05-06 12:37 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I can answer your ram point easily.

I can't use my external hdd as ram, so it's of no matter whether I have a 1 or 100gb external hdd.

Run Netfront 33 & ftxbrowser with open several windows and all your 64mb is used up and you have to juggle storage/ram settings. Open PW and maybe PE and your problems compound. cenet, WM5 and hpc2k can address 256mb so why not build that amount into the device? Ram is very cheap these days. 256mb would add pennies to the build cost.

Dale, have you ever used the Intermec 6651? IMO, it has the best form factor of any hpc ever produced. It is a *perfect* tablet or a *perfect* clamshell, your choice. The screen is still the best hpc2k screen ever produced and I have it all, dual slots, USB hosting, a good keyboard and a "good enough" still and video camera.

I keep hoping someone copies the Intermec design albeit with a modern cpu and OS and gobs of ram. That would be my ideal all-around machine. Even then I wouldn't spend more than $500 for a new one.

My 6651 has turned more heads than any of my other gear.

Edited by wallythacker 2006-05-06 12:39 AM
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.219 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 8