x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Shlo.exe Question

chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-05-08 3:00 PM
#
Hi,

Does anyone know if its possible to use a file instead of a partition with shlo.exe? For example, on Linux desktop, create a blank 50MB file, format it with ext2, mount with loopback, create userland on it. Copy this file to the default FAT section of a compact flash card.

Is this possible? If so, other than possible speed reductions, would their be any limits, e.g. cannot be bigger than xxxMB?

This is intended for light usage, e.g. Opie PDA enviroment, not any heavy usage by-the-way.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-05-08 4:16 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Not sure, but it sure would simplify the installation process for PDA linux distros.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-05-08 4:19 PM
#
Yes, thats why i want to do it?
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-05-08 4:40 PM
#
EDIT: Double post (is this a bug with Firefox?)

The trickyist part of installing Linux is partitioning the cards (everything else can be premade archives such a .gz complete PDA style userland). If this were eliminated it would be a simple matter of copying the files over, which would be more newbie friendly.

Edited by chazco 2006-05-08 5:36 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-05-09 2:47 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Well, if they were able to get Linux to boot on a partition CE does not even see...I guess it is possible. But I don't know how you will exit CE and get into it.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-05-09 12:37 PM
#
Would anybody be able to try this on a Jornada 6xx for me? My compact flash card, and desktop-writer, are both dead (never put fizzy drinks near electronics).
 Top of the page
Messer Page Icon Posted 2006-05-09 2:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

This should be possible assuming that kernel supports loopback devices and fat partitions.

Here's nice FAQ on how to run linux with root filesystem on loopback device:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Loopback-Root-FS.html
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-05-10 8:44 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Make an arm version, and I will test it.

Sorry, but I can't help you there. I would recommend a microdrive just because, however.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.139 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9