x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

my new Orinoco wireless card doesn't work on my jornada! :(

msafi
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-01-21 10:14 PM
#
Hello all,

After checking wireless card compatibility I found that Proxim Orinoco 802.11a/b Gold was one of the good wireless cards for my Jornada 720; so I purchased one from eBay and it arrived today. However, I was unable to successfully run the card on my Jornada. Here is what I did:

I inserted the PC Card just to check how it looks; and then pulled it out. I downloaded the Win CE driver from Orinoco’s website and run the setup.exe for WinCE 3.0 on my Desktop. The setup program used ActiveSync to install the driver; and ActiveSync said the driver will be installing next time I sync. I connected my Jornada and the driver was installed in the default directory. I inserted the wireless PC Card but no reaction from the Jornada side; so I opened start->Programs->Orinoco Client. The Orinoco Client closes itself after about 2 seconds, so I unchecked the option “Load/unload Automatically” and that was solved; but the Jornada still doesn’t know that I connected a wireless PC card.

I put the wireless card in my laptop just to check if it’s functional. The power light on the card blinked so I assume that the card is functional.

I tried reinstalling the drives, and resetting the machine.

Nothing worked….

Does anyone know what’s wrong with my jornada or pc card?

Thanks,

msafi,
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-22 7:56 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The first thing to do is to check that the NIC actually works.
If you can hunt down a laptop, give it a whirl
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-01-22 10:03 PM
#
H/PC Elder

The Orinoco Classic Gold should be a 802.11b-only card. I'm not sure about the 802.11a/b card.

What model number is it?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-23 8:48 AM
#
H/PC Elder

takwu - 2005-01-22 8:03 PM

The Orinoco Classic Gold should be a 802.11b-only card. I'm not sure about the 802.11a/b card.

What model number is it?

Orinoco has a COMBO Gold Classic which is a/b. That card is a cardbus pcmcia card (32-bit) ... so would *not* work on the HPCs, including HP J for that matter.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-23 2:07 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Well, now that Snappy! has just mentioned that it may be cardbus, this comment is about obsolete, but here it goes! Did you insert the card fully? (lol!) It's just that when I got my 720 I inserted the card in pretty well, but no lights went up...I thought the card was dead. Then I shoved a bit harder and it lit up. Now I'm not saying to *force* it in there, but it may well be worth a try.

-C:Amie, msafi mentioned that he already tested the card on a laptop.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 3:17 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I've had a similar problem when converting from a 720 to a 728 , the Wifi card light just won't turn on. I suggest you to download the avaya wireless drivers, as the orinoco ones offered for CE 3 in proxim's page are aparently desgined for ppc's and will do weird things on HPC's. you should let activesync to install the driver to the default program location, or if you don't want to do that, just copy the .dll and .cpl files in your install directory (in the HPC) to either the root directory (My Handheld PC), the windows directory, or any other directory in your system path environment. There's a program named precisely "systempath" that allows you to change the working path, which i believe could help you. after you have the dll and cpl files accesible in your system path, the card should just power on and work automagically .
 Top of the page
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 3:21 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

did i mention that i had the wrong card? it was orinoco gold...but no CLASSIC gold....of course i replaced it long time ago and everything is in place
 Top of the page
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 3:22 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

yes that reminds me, just a suggestion for the HCL. add manufacture part number so people don't fall in mistakes like i did.
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 3:34 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I am looking for another card (I'd like to run Ministumbler) and I was looking for Orinoco / Lucent / Enterasys cards and I have found plenty of them on e-bay. They even look differently. The price varys from 14 USD to 250 USD (it is not a typo: 2-5-0)! And I am confused. I would join msafi's apeal for adding manufacturer PNs to HCL. Maybe adding (notes) some general features e.g. power consumption, encryption... OK this might be too complicated.

Msafi, what is your Orinoco's type? Does it work with ministumbler? Does it support 128-bit WEP?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 8:12 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

msafi,

If you drop me the specifics on the adapter on what does and does not work I will update the HCL accordingly.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
J0HN Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 10:15 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

msafi - 2005-02-26 3:21 AM

did i mention that i had the wrong card? it was orinoco gold...but no CLASSIC gold....of course i replaced it long time ago and everything is in place

Perhaps it is the Orinoco Classic Gold PC Card, whose model number is ORINOCO-GOLD. I couldn't get mine to work with a driver from http://www.proxim.com/support/downloads/Orinoco_downloads.html However, the driver from http://www.moonblinkwifi.com/pd_orinoco_wireless.cfm (which pictures my card) worked fine. Good luck. I am sure that C-Amie will help.

Top of the page
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-02-26 11:14 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

There are two Proximo GOLDS. One is the GOLD COMBO PC CARD, and the other one is CLASSIC GOLD.

GOLD COMBO PC CARD (Part number: 8460-05) doesn't work on the HPC. The one that works on the HPC is the CLASSIC GOLD (Part number: 8410-WD)

@vjurkas,
This is what you need: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74954&item=6...

Make sure you include the keyword CLASSIC in your searches, as it is the differentiator.

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 12