x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Isn't there any hope?!

1 2 3 4
applemaster
applemaster Page Icon Posted 2006-05-29 4:14 PM
#
Just to start things off, I may be new to the forums here, but i have been using Handheld PC's and Windows CE-based products since mid '03. To make a long story short, I have a fair amount of knowledge of these devices, but still need to know some things

Anyway, last week on Thursday, I traded my largest laptop (a Dell Inspiron 1300 with a 15.4" screen) for a NEC MobilePro 900. The reason for this is because i travel a lot and need the ULTIMATE in mobility, so the MobilePro was the obvious choice There are some really frustrating and idiotic things that this thing can't do that i have seen many other people do with their's.

I have been scouring the Web for some form of driver that will allow my 3K4 Hitachi Microdrive to work as storage in the MP. There seems to be no hope for that one! I also tried to install and get that GigaBar working on it, but there seems to be a strange problem... When it opens up, there is no way that i can enter the Settings dialog box from the Control Panel to change the theme from the default blue to the Vista-like one. I don't know the reason for this, but i can tell you that i have tried every version of GigaBar out there (on this site) and NONE of them work!! I have also tried other drivers and programs such as the PPC emulator to allow apps like GigaBar to work, but, for some odd reason, it never installs correctly, much less at all!

If there is anyone out there who can help me, that would be MUCH appreciated!!

Thanks, Chris

P.S. My MP900 runs Windows HPC 2000 w/ CE core version 3.0 and it has an Intel XScale/Strong ARM processor.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-29 4:28 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The micro drive should work uding atadisk.dll

Wisbar is more advanced than gigabar, however, go back to the host installer, and it'll give you a set of check boxes to tick on what you want to install. Let it put the control applets on, that is how you get into the OSD functions menu to change theme.
Use 1.59 from the downloads section on this site.
 Top of the page
applemaster
applemaster Page Icon Posted 2006-05-29 4:40 PM
#
Ok, thanks.

I tried that atadisk.dll and it didn't do anything! When I plug in the microdrive, it comes up with that "Unidentified PCCard Adapter" and I'm not too sure on what to type in there! When I DID put the atadisk.dll file on there, I restarted (reset) the device like you're supposed to (i guess), logged in, inserted the drive, and it came up with that same, stupid box asking for the name of the driver. I am at a loss of hope for this thing. Thanks, though
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-29 5:44 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Can you give me full details on the MD you're using?
2 or 4GB?
FAT32?
Did it work in previous H/PC's you've owned?

Have you tried it in the PC Card slot or just the CF?
 Top of the page
oliverredfox Page Icon Posted 2006-05-29 5:47 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Is it formated as a Fat32 driver and not NTFS?
 Top of the page
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-05-29 6:06 PM
#
C:Amie - 2006-05-29 5:44 PM

Can you give me full details on the MD you're using?
2 or 4GB?
FAT32?
Did it work in previous H/PC's you've owned?

Have you tried it in the PC Card slot or just the CF?

As for the MD, here's the specs:

Hitachi Microdrive 4GB (aka 3K4)
Model: HMS360404D5CF00
Part number: 13G1768

I haven't tried it in any other slots except for the CF one because i don't have a CF-to-PCCard adapter.

The drive itself came out of my iPod mini, but it's formatted as FAT32. I formatted it in Windows 2K with a CF card reader and it's able to be read between my Macs and my Win2K desktop. It doesn't work in ANY of my other HPC's. Do you know where i might be able to get that FakeDLL thing that isn't availble on the original site? That would be great!
 Top of the page
applemaster
applemaster Page Icon Posted 2006-05-29 6:08 PM
#
oops, i didn't realize i was logged out! :-/
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-29 6:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Just wondering: are some non-enclosed MicroDrives (by enclosed I mean placed inside a housing for a USB connection) locked in IDE mode?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-29 6:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

He shoots, he scores! Half time parade for CE Geek
I didn't think of that.

If you've had the thing anywhere nead an iPod...
If it's a very early one it has been configurd using a propietary apple system. Stick the MD in a Win/Linux system and completely nuke the partition table, recreate it and try again.

Otherwise, it will be IDE locked - to prevent it from working in anything other than the ipod. To resolve that, it needs a firmware reflash - don't ask me where or how.

What fake dll are you referring to?
 Top of the page
applemaster
applemaster Page Icon Posted 2006-05-29 6:30 PM
#
It would seem that way. So, in actuality, i'm not that sure!
 Top of the page
applemaster
applemaster Page Icon Posted 2006-05-29 6:34 PM
#
The DLL that allows the HPC to run PPC applications (i know, there have been so many questions about this, but it really sucks that the sites have pretty much all been shut down *rolleyes*) i am now in the process of installing some apps and some other DLLs that i got off the net.

As for the MD, i spose i'll have to do some serching for instructions on how to rewrite the partition table (or just ask my professor since he does that kind of stuff all the time)
 Top of the page
applemaster
applemaster Page Icon Posted 2006-05-29 6:36 PM
#
i'll probably have to use Partition Commander!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-29 7:37 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Ok, there isn't a "magic" dll to make applications run. The stub files wont help you in this MD instance anway.

There are many versions, types and procedures for performing hacks. Not all programs can be forced over, not all programs will just accept the stubs and may require additional work in the form of hex editing - or worse.
Due to the legality issue, such things aren't actively encouraged by the owners group of this site, so generally we don't cover that personally, and we don't offer guides etc because of that decision. There are however vocal and capable users on the forums here who will help you get from A-B.

I suggest you start with something easy, like wisbar as mentioned above and go on from there. Everything else you'll find with the forum search. A tip on a good key word would be "cmonex", but you didn't hear that from me

lol
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-29 8:29 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2006-05-30 1:37 AM
A tip on a good key word would be "cmonex", but you didn't hear that from me

lol

sorry but i've spotted this!
 Top of the page
applemaster
applemaster Page Icon Posted 2006-05-29 10:14 PM
#
thanks! i installed some things on it and have made it more interesting to use, but still can't quite figure out why the WisBar won't install correctly. It says something like "Application WisSettings.exe has performed an illegal opeartion and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor." Then it has some extra stuff at the bottom that reads:

Program: WisSettings.exe
Exception: 0xc0000005
Address: 00e5f2ac

I don't know what the heck is happening, but it seems to work other than that (which, as you can see, is the settings part of the program that allows me to change the skin).
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9