x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Puzzling... USB HD and WinCE 3.0

btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2006-05-31 8:50 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hi,

So, I have a sucess story and a failure to report. The success is that I have attached, formatted and used a 16GB Maxtor HD on my Viewpad 100 via an USB to IDE adapter. It's slower than molasses in January (600 KB/sec transfer rate) but it works. I can even then take the drive, connect it to my WinXP box and read the files after I assign the drive a drive letter.

The failure part is when I go to do the obvious next step - copy files form my WinXP box to the drive and read them on the Viewpad. If I do this, the FAT seems to be corrupted - all the directory entries are illegal characters and garbage. Everything looks fine if I plug it back in to the XP box, but the drive becomes useless with WinCE afterwards. I even tried deleting the partition and repartitioning it. Couldn't get the drive to work with WinCE again until I did a destructive write test on the drive, THEN connected it to my WinCE device and formatted it.

Is there some kind of strange difference between WinCE and WinXP implementations of FAT32? Or is this lower-level partition data problems? I'm thinking it might have something to do with mounting the drive in XP and assigning it a drive letter. But I'm not entirely sure why the thing only becomes unusable when I try to write additional entries to the FAT...

More info as I conduct more experiments. Any ideas so far would be appreciated

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention I'm using the alpha PPC 2002 driver for USB Mass storage from Deje (I think?).

Edited by btrimmer 2006-05-31 8:51 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-06-01 12:27 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Doesn't the Iomega Clik! driver work on the Viewpad?
 Top of the page
padman Page Icon Posted 2006-06-01 6:49 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi I am also using my viewpad with a hard drive but I am not having the problem you described. My hard drive is formated with just fat not fat 32 and is only
2.6 gig I wil try a larger hard drive soon.
 Top of the page
padman Page Icon Posted 2006-06-04 2:51 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Tried the fat 32 format 20 gig with the viewpad today and it worked fine.
No problems reading or adding files with the xp box and using them on the viewpad. I think I am using the deje usb driver.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 10