x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

wireless problems

1 2
lemoine Page Icon Posted 2006-06-02 11:45 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have recently purchased a refurbished Jornada 720. As a complete novice, I'm beginning to doubt my decision to purchase this unit. I have been unable to get wireless networking to work properly. Here are my specs:

Linksys WCF12 wireless card
SanDisk CF to PC card adapter
WCP11 v3 driver (I've also tried to use the Compaq WL100)
MiniStumbler

The drivers are installed OK and the light on the card remains on. When I try to identify the available networks using MiniStumbler, it recongnizes a couple of networks. How do I get my wireless card to "recongize" those networks? Do I have to change some settings on the card so it receives the MiniStumbler information?

I'm considering bagging this approach and buying another wireless card with a driver that has a site survey function to works with Jornada 720. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry for these simple questions, but as I said, I'm a complete novice!!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-02 11:54 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The Pretec CompactWiLAN has site survey.

You need to find an open network, and then instruct the driver's configuration program to use that SSID. Have you tried a Prism Reference Driver on the card - Support Section CESDH0028 - Intersil Prism Reference Drivers
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-02 5:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

lemoine: specify the SSID that you see in ministumbler, as the network name in the wlan driver. you can even create profiles for each netwrok.
 Top of the page
lemoine Page Icon Posted 2006-06-02 9:09 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks! I have the driver installed and according to the "Wireless Config Utility" I am associated to my network. However, when I try to open anything using Internet Explorer, I get an error that says, "A connection with the server could not be established." Any ideas on how to fix this problem? Thanks in advance for any help.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-02 9:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Please use this to check that you have an IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and at least 1 DNS server:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=36
 Top of the page
lemoine Page Icon Posted 2006-06-02 10:32 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I don't understand what the vxUtil program is supposed to tell me. I think that I am connected to the network because the light on the wireless card is on (and not blinking) and the "Config Utility" Link window lists my "State" as "Associated". Does this not mean that I am connected?
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-06-02 11:48 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The vxUtil is supposed to tell you if you can ping your router or any other machine in your network setup. if you can do that, that means you have succesfully connected
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 12:39 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

lemoine - 2006-06-03 4:32 AM

I don't understand what the vxUtil program is supposed to tell me. I think that I am connected to the network because the light on the wireless card is on (and not blinking) and the "Config Utility" Link window lists my "State" as "Associated". Does this not mean that I am connected?

it doesn't mean that. it just means you got associated with the wlan network. doesn't mean you're actually on it ce.net does make the difference by first telling associated then connected.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 1:23 AM
#
H/PC Elder

You can be associated and get nowhere with an unsuitable IP/DNS/gateway as c:amie said.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 3:17 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The other thing to try before all this is to pull the card back out, soft-reset the 720, and re-insert the card. Often this is enough to establish a connection. (And there's nothing to lose by doing it.)
 Top of the page
lemoine Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 10:59 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

According to vxUtil, I'm associated with the network, but not connected. How do I get connected? I tried the soft-reset followed by re-insertion of the card and that didn't work.
 Top of the page
lemoine Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 11:27 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Correction, according to the Config Utilities, I am associated but not connected with the network. Using vxUtil, I can ping the network just fine. What else can I do?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 11:45 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

what IP does vxutil report?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 12:09 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

As I said above, you need to have a connection estabilished with:
IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and at least 1 DNS server
before you can initialise the network connection as a user.
 Top of the page
lemoine Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 9:57 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

vxUtil gives me the following info:
IP Address: 192.168.55.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.55.100
Primary DNS: 127.0.0.1

Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum: