x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Wireless Issue on J720

BVJONES
BVJONES Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 1:34 AM
#
Okay, I've dug all over this forum and support, as best I could, and can't find this particular issue:
I have a J720 with a wireless PCMCIA / CF card.
specs: ZCOM XI-825 CF 802.11b (actually ADLINK345CF)
driver: prismnds.dll (the WinCE app it was bundled with locks up the Jornada but I was able to just load the driver and delete the app)
With some effort, I've gotten the proper driver (prism), and the connection light always comes on. HOWEVER,
I can only connect to the internet when the 720 is connected to my desktop! Not very wireless!
Thought maybe I needed to enter a static IP address for my provider, but that doesn't make any difference. It refuses to connect if it's not seated in the charging stand.
What am I missing?
I have not yet successfully set the 720 up to access our family network, but that's another thread.
I assume that unless somehow it's a firewall issue within the router itself (doubt it because I'm one of those "dum dums" who have a wide-open network at my house) this is a hardware problem or just some code or "button" that needs pushing in the 720s software.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 8:09 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You're not running some sort of Proxy server are you, which has been configured through PIE?

Check your settings: http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=36
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 9:44 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

If I am, it's an accident. I don't even understand what PIE is! My network setup is, in short, a cable modem, connected to a wireless router. Our other computers (winxp and win98) connect either wirelessly or directly to this router with no problem. Is it possible that the router automatically generates a proxy server as a security feature? I'll try to locate the manual.
Does the utility you recommend, vxutil, work with HPC2000? That OS is not listed as an option in its system requirements.
 Top of the page
jpfx Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 10:18 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Your wireless router will not set up a proxy.
Could be your PCs are running at G speeds and your 720 is trying to connect at B speeds. This shouldn't normally be a problem but might be an issue here. You should ensure your wireless router is set for 11mbps/24mbps, not 24mbps only.
What router is it?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 10:36 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sorry, PIE is Pocket Internet Explorer.

No proxy on the router, you would have to have setup a proxy server for internet comms via the cradle, and yes it's HPC2000 OK.

jpfx means look for 11Mbps/54Mbps, 11G is 54Meg not 24
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 11:58 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Thanks! No, my router (it's Corega: bought it in Taiwan) is only a B speed. Haven't upgraded to G yet. As soon as I can wrangle the 720 back from my son I'll run the vxutil, and check that I haven't accidentally tried to set up a proxy server in PIE (I shoulda guessed what that one meant!)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 12:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

bvjones - 2006-06-03 5:58 PM
As soon as I can wrangle the 720 back from my son

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 3:45 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

bvjones - 2006-06-03 4:58 PM

Thanks! No, my router (it's Corega: bought it in Taiwan) is only a B speed. Haven't upgraded to G yet. As soon as I can wrangle the 720 back from my son I'll run the vxutil, and check that I haven't accidentally tried to set up a proxy server in PIE (I shoulda guessed what that one meant!)
Wrangle, there's a nice American word (in the Animal and therefore child sense). You wouldn't be from the South would you?
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2006-06-06 8:40 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Finally! I wrestled my son to the carpet, logged off his half-life game, and got vxutil up and running on the Jornada.
Here are the results:

Handheld PC
IP address 192.168.1.13
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.1.1
Primary DNS 192.168.1.1
secondary DNS and both WINS blank
DHCP server 192.168.1.1

ppp1
IP address 192.168.55.101
subnet 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.55.100
primary DNS 127.0.0.1
secondary DNS 0.0.0.0
primary & secondary WINS 0.0.0.0
DHCP server blank

A sync MAC IP address 0.0.0.0
the rest is blank

I've checked my firewall (McAfee) and it has not been blocking the HPC.
Also worth mentioning: There is a time-setting function on vxutil, and it appears to be linking to THAT just fine!
I do not know how to enter ports and such to try out the Ping features.

Thanks for any advice, or directions for better utilizing the vxutil.

By the way, "wrangle" is more a midwestern origin, but I think it's pretty common across the US nowadays. I'm an army brat.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-06 8:47 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

for pinging just type in an url or IP and press start
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2006-06-06 7:58 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Isn't typing in a url (www.google.com, for instance?) the same as entering this address in IE? What would I be gaining doing it in vxutil? I believe that pinging successfully lets me know that I can, in fact, connect to something through the network, right?
Is the fact that I was able to update the Jornada's clock a proof that it can "ping" at least an IP? I assume that IP is the actually numerical address of the server I'm pinging, right?
If I do succeed in pinging some site, how do I then transfer this success to actually surfing the internet with PIE? Will there be some result in the pinging process with vxutil that tells me what I need to do?

On another point: Is there any information in what I've listed above that can help me enter the correct settings for the driver, or for PIE?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-06 10:35 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh so you could use a timeserver to update the clock? i dont think ping will tell anything new then.
it's for diagnostic purposes. if it doesn't work, the problem is different than when it does..
the IP info you listed sounds OK.. is it only IE that doesnt connect, can you download your emails for example?
 Top of the page
790HPC
790HPC Page Icon Posted 2006-06-06 10:46 PM
#
Sometimes my MP790 will do the same thing and all I do is a soft reset and it works.
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2006-06-09 9:48 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

RESULTS!
Once again I put my son in a headlock and have messed with the settings.
Using vxutil, I discovered I could ping our ISP wirelessly, AND what its numerical address is. But I still couldn't get PIE to see the connection.
I examined all the static and dynamic options, tried several variations.
Finally, I had the bright idea to UNcheck the box in Internet Options that said "Use Auto Dial."
It works!
We had thought that box had to stay checked, because it's the only way to actually access the drop-down menu that allows you to pick "Wireless" from the list of connections.
So, all is well!
Next, I'll tackle getting it to find our home network.
Phew!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.169 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 9