x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Hp 720 Status LED light

JLS Page Icon Posted 2006-06-04 12:45 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

No matter how much I have searched for the answer, surfing has given me little information. The question: How does one prevent the Status LED green light from coming on, usually in the middle of the night? It runs the battery down terribly.

Note: I have DEFINITELY turned off the machine!
I do not have an alarm calendar item that signals a reminder

Thanks,
John
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-06-04 2:03 PM
#
H/PC Elite

JLS - 2006-06-04 11:45 AM

No matter how much I have searched for the answer, surfing has given me little information. The question: How does one prevent the Status LED green light from coming on, usually in the middle of the night? It runs the battery down terribly.

Note: I have DEFINITELY turned off the machine!
I do not have an alarm calendar item that signals a reminder

Thanks,
John

every HPC turns itself on at midnight. it's a plot by C:Amie to conquer the world

Maybe you have an alarm set up in Control Panel -> World clock -> alarms
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-06-04 2:23 PM
#
Its a housekeeping command. It turns on a midnight and tidys up the filesystem. However, if you have any software with keep alive running, or a PC card inserted, it may refuse to switch off. The screen may go off, but the device itself stays turned on, and then drains the battery quickly.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-04 2:30 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

matrixcore - 2006-06-04 8:03 PM

every HPC turns itself on at midnight. it's a plot by C:Amie to conquer the world

Maybe you have an alarm set up in Control Panel -> World clock -> alarms

no, not every hpc. i told C:Amie that my j728 doesnt and he wouldnt believe me.. so we watched my 728 at midnight... sure enough it did not turn on
 Top of the page
JLS Page Icon Posted 2006-06-04 5:32 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

After charging the HP 720 this morning, taking it off the cradle, and setting it aside, I discovered the LED light came on after a few minutes. By golly! Though I had pushed the On/Off button, I had not actually QUIT the solitaire came I had been playing earlier, because it came on when I pushed the On/Off button.

Would THAT have caused the HP 720 to show the blinking LED, even though I had hit the ole on/off switch??

John
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-04 5:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i think the solitaire couldnt have caused it to turn on. my suggestion (from the handheld attitude faq):

"My Jornada is turning itself on in the middle of the night

For some reason, your Jornada is turning itself on in the middle of the night. The next day I come in and the green light is flashing and it has drained most of the battery. Why is it doing this?

Check in the calendar > tools > options and make sure the "show daily agenda each day" box is NOT checked. If that is not it, then make sure you don't have any alarms set in the world clock application. "
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-04 6:03 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

matrixcore, hush! You've said too much and will need to be silenced

Mine always turn on, but I use Pocket Outlook. It's the scheduler which turns the device on to cycle the PIM event databases.
The two suggestions above can help, but are by no means universal. Third party applications that make use of the same databases can cause the event.
 Top of the page
JLS Page Icon Posted 2006-06-04 7:48 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanx for the suggestions, though I did check:
1. the calendar > tools > options & the "show daily agenda each day" box is NOT checked !
2. their are no alarms set in the world clock application that are checked !

The concept of a 3rd party application using these applications sounds intriguing, though I don't believe there
are any. There is nothing in the Task Manager that is on (now !). And also, every morn does not give me
the "blinking light syndrone" on my machine.

I guess I could Ctrl+Alt+Del each evening to besure everything is off the agenda. I really don't have any
other calendar event program but Outlook.

Thanks again,
John
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-06-04 8:18 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
If your power off function is set to one minute or so (on battery or on external power--for external power setting, use SmallTweak), it shouldn't be much of a drain.

The trouble, as others have pointed out, is when a pieice of hardware/software has been started at midnight, and can't turn itself off, even when you've set the machine to power off after 1 minute.

I've left in an Orinoco card and found the battery drained the next day since I didn't have the Orinoco power settings correspond to the J 720's.

Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-04 8:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

JLS - 2006-06-05 1:48 AM
The concept of a 3rd party application using these applications sounds intriguing, though I don't believe there
are any. There is nothing in the Task Manager that is on (now !). And also, every morn does not give me
the "blinking light syndrone" on my machine.

the default taskmanager doesn't show processes. you'd be better off installing dexxta's ceprocessviewer or itaskmanager
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10