x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: PhatWare CalliGrapher 6.6

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-23 7:28 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The Pocket PC has it. Palm OS has it, and now even Windows XP has it... but should the H/PC have it?
I am of course talking about Handwriting Recognition.

Microsoft push the technology with the latest Windows Mobile devices, citing it as the only input method you will need. We in the H/PC community of course know differently. However that doesn't mean there isn't room for this often controversial technology on a H/PC device.

In this review we show you why old hat Handheld PC Developer PhatWare have succeeded in making Handwriting Recognition input a productive and viable solution on the Handheld PC.

See what Chris thought of CalliGrahper and have your say here on the forum.

Review: CalliGrapher 6.6
 Top of the page Quote Reply
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2005-01-26 8:23 AM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

Everyone, you need to purchase this or another H/PC application from PhatWare if possible. PhatWare has continued their commitment to the platform long after many other top developers have left the game. PhatWare has a good list of apps to offer all at reasonable prices.

Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-26 6:37 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Actually ... if PhatWare has a Browser app that does hotmail and stuffs well ... I would get it! ... budget: <=$50 for such an app!

Talking abt that ... Is NetFront any good?
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-26 8:36 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I just saw Netfront on a cellphone - It saddens me as that phone gave me a better browsing experience than my 720. What system would the phone be using to do this.
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-26 10:36 PM
#
H/PC Elder

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-01-26 6:36 PM

I just saw Netfront on a cellphone - It saddens me as that phone gave me a better browsing experience than my 720. What system would the phone be using to do this.

NetFront is available for PPC ... just wondering if it is for HPC.
On Handango.com
http://www.handango.com/PlatformSearch.jsp?optionId=1_2_2&jid=XDAX1...

http://www.access.co.jp/english/

They have versions for PPC/PPC2002/PPC2003 ... maybe we can run PPC version for HPC2000?

Anyone tried yet?
robi-jornada Page Icon Posted 2007-12-16 1:49 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I am trial Calligrapher 6.6 on my J728 and believe it is very good. Maybe as good as the Newton's Roseta. HWR on HPC2000 is very useful because sometimes you need to write something on device and you have only one hand to do that (another hand is holding the device). But as a Portuguese speaker (and writer) I have to complain about Phatware decision to restrict Trial on English writing. I don't know how Calligrapher handle acented characters.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-12-17 6:42 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

robi-jornada, that is a good point you raise. I don't have CalliGrapher infront of me at the moment, does the English version not support accented characters? If you have a play with the shape selector, are there no accented characters in there?
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2007-12-17 7:59 AM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

robi-jornada - 2007-12-16 12:49 PM

I am trial Calligrapher 6.6 on my J728 and believe it is very good. Maybe as good as the Newton's Roseta. HWR on HPC2000 is very useful because sometimes you need to write something on device and you have only one hand to do that (another hand is holding the device). But as a Portuguese speaker (and writer) I have to complain about Phatware decision to restrict Trial on English writing. I don't know how Calligrapher handle acented characters.

The English version of Calligrapher didn't start handling accents well until the 7.x train which, unfortunately, isn't available on HandheldPC. The other language versions in the 6.x train do work with accents quite well. However, given that English doesn't use accent marks often (and it is usually a word that is in French, Spanish, etc that has been inserted), it didn't support it well.

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-12-17 10:32 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Calli 6.6 is actually the engine from 7.2 (see: http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=85 ). Is the 7.x application layer necessary for accentation support?
Prof Quatermass Page Icon Posted 2009-10-12 12:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

CalliGrapher is the only HPC software I've actually bought - as opposed to using freeware - and I must say it's a superb app.
Did the company lease the recognition engine to Microsoft for the Pocket PC? Essentially it looks, and feels, the same.
I find the recognition rates are top drawer, but the application is limited on all HPCs other than my Samsung Izzi Pro with its swivel fold-flat screen which makes it a decent Tablet PC.
Oh well, I guess I can use it on my Casio E105 as well (sorry about that, but I do own a fair few PPCs as well)
nathanpc Page Icon Posted 2010-02-07 11:22 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Very nice. I'm going to try it to post my review here on the thread.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 12