x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720degrees Linux for the Jornada 720

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 Next »
Frozen
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2006-07-08 3:09 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I used imagemagick for screenshots. From the terminal just issue the following command: import -root window /path/to/imagefolder/name_of_image.jpg. Works like a charm. (apt-get install imagemagick)

When i get around to it i'll try jwm. I use it on my puppy-linux install on an old laptop. Its almost exactly an icewm clone in looks and functionality, but it is a bit lighter on resources.

As for the 64meg swap file being overkill.. nah typically your swap is supposed to be double your ram. I also have a 1 gig cf card so space wasnt a concern.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-08 3:54 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Everyone should be done with all of their exams already - actually, they are. I am having some trouble roping all of them in, at the moment.

Funny, puppy-linux on my usb flash drive is what got me into jwm as well. But the deb does not seem to work on the 720...and I did not want to bother recompiling at the time.

Icewm is nice, but I don't see it as being the main window manager for 720degrees. And no one dare say OPIE or GPE. One of those will be easily accessible, but not the default.

Lol, 64mb is overkill on a 340mb microdrive. 10mb is very generous, and I rarely use it all. Efficiency? Maybe.
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2006-07-08 10:16 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,

I am trying to use ipkg to install minimo as per RTFM suggestions.

I have updated my /etc/apt/sources.lis, done apt-get update, dowloaded the key but...when apt-key add 720deg_key.asc I get: "apt-key: command not found"

What I am missing? Of course installed 720degrees following the indications.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Many tks

oski
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 12:15 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I didnt use the key, just added the 720 repository, apt-get updated and installed ipkg.

If you still have issues, i could probably pack minimo into a tar.gz that you could just extract to / .

Also the ipkg of minimo isnt the greatest, its default config is to run at 320x240 resolution, so its just a tiny box. If you maximize it, it extends below the screen so you cant see the bottom of the browser. The only solution i currently found is to use ion2 wm for minimo which forces *everything* to fit into its current resolution.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 1:54 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah, we would have to tweak it. I never really liked minimo anyways, I am heading towards the konqueror direction. After all, it is better than PIE and runs fast on the 680. It already sounds better than minimo.

Anyways, weblacky just sent me a write-up on WPA, so you will all be seeing more of this soon.

EDIT: Oh...whoops! He sent me it a long time ago and lost his copy....haha! I just sent it back to him so he can edit it then post here.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-07-09 2:05 AM
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 4:49 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Oops, just noticed my imagemagick post i got backwards. Should be:

import -window root /path/to/imagefolder/name_of_image.jpg
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 4:51 AM
#
H/PC Elder

All I needed to know was that import is bundled with imagemagick. I was trying to figure that out.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 5:45 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Ok, compiled jwm. By default the taskbar, window borders, fonts etc are HUGE. Edited the config and made the font sizes 7, taskbar height 14 and the window borders 10 and man you get *lots* of extra screen space back. Screenshot added to my existing j720 screenshot page.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 4:48 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Where is the desktop background? That JWM looks like it is missing many features... but could you email the compiled jwm as an attachment to me? I don't seem to have a file size limit.

Also, the jwm on puppy-linux has icons on the desktop. I should probably investigate how this was done.. By the way, did you try right-clicking by holding down the stylus tap?

Also, today I am looking into the qemu strongarm emulation, and possibly formatting my pc and either doing a clean install, or setting up a distribution with a better compiling system (gentoo). With this done, I hope to finally port rhide to the 720, which would be awesome. Seriously, we could have a great development environment on there.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 5:18 PM
#
H/PC Elite

JWM is basic, very basic. For a desktop background you need another application like qiv or bsetbg to set the wallpaper ( which you can add to jwm config ). As for icons puppy uses some form of external icon management program like fbdesk. http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/fbdesk/

Right clicking isnt necessary in jwm, a single tap opens the applications menu.

I'm heading out of town for a bit, when i get back i'll package and email you the compiled jwm.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 6:09 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok, well I guess I will tweak it to be as good as theirs. I use idesk, personally, but would like something better. I know they have a working trash can.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 7:49 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Why is this useful? This is an instant cross-compiler, for one, except it is a native compiler. Compile a kernel or applications natively in the qemu emulator. But the system can be maintained as an ordinary Debian system. So install all the Debian development packages you want with apt-get! This system can be used instead of scratchbox for cross-compiling, but it will likely be slower (scratchbox uses qemu, in any case). I can report that I have used this system to compile firefox version 1.5.0.4 for the SA1100 cpu; it took about 12 hrs on a 2 GHz athlon 64 (giving ca. 430 bogomips for the emulated system).

This guy definitely does not know what he is doing - or the qemu emulation is horrible. What is the advantage of that over the 720? It seems to be about the same speed, actually, it seems slower. I compiled about 30mb of binaries for Pine in half an hour, and about a full hour for the SSL version. All I need is space, which my microdrive does not provide.

EDIT: 1901 posts! Now, let's review what happened in 1901. President McKinley was assasinated after only a few months of his second term, and Teddy Roosevelt took office, leading way for many business reforms.

Aghh U.S. history...

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-07-09 7:52 PM
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2006-07-13 7:20 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,

When doing apt-get install ipkg I get some unmet deps: libipkg0, and an E: Broken package!!
Any suggestions?

I have run apt-get update and updated my sources list.
TKS
oski
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-14 2:29 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Since when is ipkg available off apt? :confused:

I had to compile it myself... I could send the binaries to snickers so he can make a proper deb soon.
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2006-07-14 3:02 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

HI PS,

It is available from the apt repository in snickersmd as a .deb.
By the way xtscal is also broken.

oski
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9