x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

From the beginning, using Linux

entoboy
entoboy Page Icon Posted 2006-06-15 12:03 AM
#
Ok, long story short, I'm trying to get linux on my jornada 720, and all I've got is a windows XP laptop. Someone directed me to http://720degrees.org, which is great, BUT it's still over my head. Yes, I'm just that much an amateur at linux. I've managed to get a copy of Knoppix (should I even use that?) and checked for "errors" with the whole md5 thing. Now... I burn it onto a cd and somehow run linux on my computer, and partition my compact flash card with my computer running linux? If someone could give me details on just how it is I'm supposed to run linux on my computer from a cd, and what exactly is required in partitioning a compact flash card for linux, I would be eternally grateful. Until then, I'm going to keep reading http://720degrees.org and acting like I know what it's saying...

Whoever responds to this, thank you in ways you will never know
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-06-15 2:28 AM
#
If you wait a few weeks you should be able to use the JLime Activesync based installer. Partitioning, installing all automatically taken care of...
 Top of the page
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-06-15 4:01 AM
#
WOW, REALLY? That would really save my day...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-16 6:49 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Yeah, if you are not an expert, my best recommendation would be to wait a bit longer for us to get everything much more user-friendly. Currently, we have to do everything the hard way.
 Top of the page
Nesagwa Page Icon Posted 2006-06-16 7:36 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have a question, but Im not sure its worth a new thread.

Is there going to be a MIPS based linux for HPC? (I have an MP800, so just wondering)
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-16 7:41 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Probably worth a new thread, but oh well. As none of us have mips devices, I doubt it. However, mips devices have excellent netbsd support currently. The install on their end is currently much easier, and there are a few benefits to having a well-supported netbsd release. So I would definitely check that out.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9