x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

TV Remote Control

jakeblat Page Icon Posted 2006-06-16 6:47 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have a hp jornada 720 and am looking for some remote control software to take advantage of the infrared. I would prefer free software but i'll only buy something if it's really worth it.

Also, where can I find software for my new jornada 720?

Thanks, Jake
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-06-16 7:09 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-06-16 7:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I second Tenjeangosi's recommendation. I've used WinCESofts RemoteControl and it is great!

Rich
 Top of the page
jakeblat Page Icon Posted 2006-06-18 9:45 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've downloaded the trial and it works really well so I ordered it yesterday morning, i've waited 24 hours but not got my activation code so is there a different email address i can use to contact WinCESoft?
 Top of the page
jakeblat Page Icon Posted 2006-06-19 8:05 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Has anyone else bought this recently because i've sent the activation file to the email on the program but still not got the code sent to me. Have they closed down recently because when I saw it was a direct download I though it would work straight away but it has to be activated. If I reinstall the trial now will it cause any problems when I get the full version working?
 Top of the page
katz Page Icon Posted 2006-06-27 2:33 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I downloaded the full version, put in the required info to build the text file, attached the text file in an email, sent the e-mail to the address it listed, and received the activation in less than 12 hours without a problem. I didn't have any snags or problems with licensing but I may start a different thread later if I can't get my IR port working on the J728 I'm using.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-06-27 3:53 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You may have to get one of those IR extenders Katz, the range is pretty limited on the J720 without it. My 900C sends IR signals about 12 feet without any problem while my 7X0 series is only good for about a couple feet.

Rich
 Top of the page
katz Page Icon Posted 2006-06-27 4:54 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yup, range would be pretty limited but I tried at about 1ft - 3ft away from VCR, TV, DVD player and at different angles. No glass or any obstructions. I think I took over the IRQ with my Socket bluetooth software that I installed a while back. I didn't use the IR for anything before now..... I'll check and post something if indeed there is an issue between the bluetooth adaptor and the internal IR so others don't run into the same issue.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-27 6:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

if its the socket bt.. just go to control panel, there will be a socket icon and there you can reenable the infrared
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-06-28 1:15 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Geez, just a couple of feet without extra hardware - kinda defeats the purpose of a remote, don't it?
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2006-06-28 2:10 AM
#
That's the only reason it's meaningless on PDAs....
If you want a good remote, get a cellphone with BT (nokia 6230, w00t). Get some software on there and you can run your PC from it (iTunes, MCE...the mouse...everything). If your TV is an MCE, then this is awesome when you can't find a remote.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2006-06-28 6:55 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

As another option, a few years ago I purchased a IR transmitter from Radio Shack. There are two units, pyamid shaped. One is the receiver and the other is the transmitter. Plug them both in, and whatever IR signal you send to the receiver gets transmitted to the other unit. Long long range...20-30 feet. It was able to send to 6 different untis simultaneously...

Rich
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-28 7:09 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Quote from Nick Latito's review of WinCESoft's RemoteControl:

My Jornada 720 gives a working range of about 4m (13ft) with a Sony TV, and about 3m with the cheap Skyworth DVD/DIVX player that we've got. This is comparable to the Marantz, which is really quite surprising!

Read: http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=103
 Top of the page
katz Page Icon Posted 2006-06-28 4:21 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I switched back and forth between the IR disable and to enabled, trained the program with the original remote, and now it works great! I measured 16 feet of very reliable IR control with my J728 to a Mintek DVD, Magnavox VCR and Sony Wega TV. Might be more but also might act a litle flaky at greater than 16 feet.... don't know without standing outside and that wouldn't be reliable testing through the coated glass.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10