x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Smartphone apps: interesting results

Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-06-18 3:11 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Some smartphone applications run much better than their PocketPC counterparts on HPC devices. For example, REPLIGO for PPC needs a lot of hacking to be somewhat usable on HPCS, and some features are missing (due to the lack of a real Doclist.dll). So, I tried Repligo for Smartphone and it worked "out of the box" without any hexediting and with all features working properly: fullscreen, file open dialog,etc... ( only Dic's Aygshell is necessary)
The Smartphone CE3 implementation seems to be some sort of "simplified version" of the PocketPC OS, with a few specific Phone additions.
I think this is an interesting opportunity for HPC users: the only problem is the number of available applications (less than HPC programs).
BTW, I recommend Repligo as a serious Adobe Acrobat alternative (very fast, but files must be converted first).

Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-06-18 4:06 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Another interesting example: PocketRar does not work very well on HPCs (no Doclist.dll, so you cannot see the contents of RAR files, which is really annoying...). I found a simple smartphone RAR application that works much better ( UNRAR only, no compression, but with a built-in file viewer; you can associate RAR files with this app):
http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=240758&st=0

I had to hexedit the version number ( 4.2 to 3.0). It works like a charm ! try the attached file
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-06-18 4:10 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I forgot: You need to place this dll in the same folder as unrar.exe
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-18 8:10 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes it is a very good idea to use smartphone apps. i just never tried.. so glad you made the thread, so now others will realize this too
hehe this is funny about pocketrar: i never noticed there was missing something from pocketrar until i was told to try it on ce.net 4.2 and there i could see that part too with the built in aygshell. (i just do unrar with that app and don't check the contents) but i'm sure others who are less absentminded than me will love this. especially wibook owners as pocketrar was the app that crashed my wibook so hard. (as i told you in my PM) i guess this will work on the wibook WITHOUT any hacks (any aygshell etc - it already has one onboard)
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 44 - Executed queries : 30