x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

J728 (USA) Web mail

baltobernie
baltobernie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-26 9:58 AM
#
I've recently lost the ability to access Web-based e-mail from Earthlink, either wired or wireless. Their tech support tells me they no longer support CE-based devices. Its probably some kind of security issue SMTP or the like.

Is there a workaround to this? I've seen some add-ons for Pocket PC that mimic a later browser version which enable Web mail access.

Lastly, do any USA users know of any Web-based e-mail providers that do work with HPC 2000? I could always move my site or forward e-mails there.

Bernie
 Top of the page
kenneth Page Icon Posted 2006-06-26 10:10 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yahoo! mail works.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-26 10:16 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

just use nPOP or qmail3 as an email client
 Top of the page
baltobernie
baltobernie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-26 2:24 PM
#
Thanks, everyone.
 Top of the page
radimus Page Icon Posted 2006-06-26 4:47 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

nPOP is a great little app. The version that works under CE doesn't support address lookups against Contacts, but book file that it creates for itself (the name of which escapes me at the moment) is a simple tab-delimited text file that consists of two fields for record:

[email address] [display name]

So, it's very easy to export Outlook Contacts out to a tab-delimited file, and then open it in Notepad and do a find & replace to replace the " marks with nothing. Save the result, rename it to the name that nPOP is looking for, and copy it over.

The other nice thing about nPOP is that it leaves the email on the server unless you mark it for deletion and run another send/receive cycle. Very handy if you want to keep a copy of the mail on the server to download to a PC later.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-06-26 5:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

qmail3 does support address lookups (or it may even do autocomplete? can't remember now)

every email client should have that setting by default (leaving the the emails on the server). never saw a client that wouldn't have that by default
 Top of the page
gorgon5 Page Icon Posted 2006-06-26 5:27 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Can anyone explain how to set up security certificates with Qmail? So, say Earthlink requires a SSL connection, and you have the certificate, where and what do you name it?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.195 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 11