x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HPC:Factor H/PC Quick Link

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-28 10:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Some of you may have started to the notice large rise in the use of truncated URL's here on the site. For example:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=10

A few people have asked what they are for exactly. Well, don't worry they aren't some sort of covert tracking system. They are nothing more than an external linking engine for static site documents.

We call it HPC:QLink (H/PC Quick Link), it was written in house, by me as it happens. It's function is identical to the likes of TinyURL.

Take a long URL:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15

Make is short(er):
http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=2

OK, so that example isn't the longest URL on record. The main benefit however. Is that we can give out QLinks to external organisations, such as the software developer who we review for. Then, if we happen at some point to have a move around on the server, we can seamlessly change the links.
So no more 404 errors.

The HPC:Qlink system is only available to Admins to create new links, however we are giving some thought to making a second, public version available which you can all use.

In the mean time, if you are linking to us externally and happen to come accross a QLink to the resource. We would really like for you to use it.
Just like GoogleBot.

Thanks.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-28 10:40 PM
#
H/PC Elder

hey, that's neat!
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-01-29 2:42 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Proprietary software....

Hehe I think that is a really cool linking system as making bookmarks to these pages is kinda strange with such long links.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-29 8:58 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it.

Proprietary software, Yes, but I never was one to like 'off the shelf'. It's much more of a challenge to do it myself.

I'll get up a public search tool in due course so that users can get QLinks out of the system themselves. I will probably bring together a few other tools that exist around the site, into a H/PC Users Toolkit or similar.
So that will be good
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-29 9:42 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Some people call it proprietary ... I like to think of it as CUSTOM MADE or TAILOR MADE ... gone are the days where you go to a tailor to make your shirt and pants!! ... except for some places though!
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 27