x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Has anyone's CF card worn out?

hugh Page Icon Posted 2006-06-29 1:51 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Being that CF cards eventually wear out, and Linux requires a swap partition, and swap partitions require a ton of writing, it would seem reasonable to conclude that a swap partition would cause a CF card to wear out quite quickly.

I was wondering if anyone has had their CF card wear out from too much writing as a result of having Linux installed on it, and if I would be better off jury rigging a microdrive into the CF slot rather than wasting cash on a CF card that is going to fail.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-29 6:44 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Yeah, mine failed, but in an interesting way. If you run ext2 without swap, it should last a really long time. I ran ext3, and the super block (block 1) died. Luckily, CE and Windows both do not need this block to format and use the drive, so I can still use it.

The microdrive really is great, and if you plan to use Linux for testing and trying lots of new programs on your 720 rather than what we create, I would definitely get one. They tend to cost less, as well.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-06-29 9:00 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I think my CF card might be dead ... My HP crashes when the CF is inserted and my Nino does not recognize it at all ..
EDIT: Err, oops, i did not have Linux installed on my CF.. Mod can delete this post ..

Edited by tenjeangosi 2006-06-29 9:03 PM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-06-29 9:07 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

ProgramSynthesiser - 2006-06-29 5:44 PM

Yeah, mine failed, but in an interesting way. If you run ext2 without swap, it should last a really long time. I ran ext3, and the super block (block 1) died. Luckily, CE and Windows both do not need this block to format and use the drive, so I can still use it.

The microdrive really is great, and if you plan to use Linux for testing and trying lots of new programs on your 720 rather than what we create, I would definitely get one. They tend to cost less, as well.

So it finally failed? I know you were expecting that to happen. Never thought it would though.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-06-30 2:37 AM
#
I've used my card for Linux for quite a while. Swap partition and ext2, plus several occurances of running dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda. It always worked up until i lost it.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-06-30 6:46 PM
#
H/PC Elder

No reason for swap, seriously. Only compiling show speed differences. But yeah, it did die after a long time of ext3.

I would expect it to last a very long time (years) with standard ext2 and normal use.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-06-30 6:47 PM
 Top of the page
hugh Page Icon Posted 2006-06-30 10:51 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks guys.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-07-01 3:08 AM
#
No reason for swap, seriously

Maybe on the 32MB Jornadas, but a swap on a 16MB one shows a noticable speed up in the GUI.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-03 12:07 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Oh, I was talking about the 720 series.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.154 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10