x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Socket's CF Bluetooth and Wifi adapters?

Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-01-30 4:12 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I noticed that Socket Communications sells CF Wifi and Bluetooth adapters that are considerably lower profile than any other manufacturer 's that I have found. Their Bluetooth adapter (http://www.socketcom.com/product/BL4508-309.asp) seems to be about the same dimensions as flash card. Their Wifi card (http://www.socketcom.com/product/WL6004-322.asp) has an antenna that extends about a 1/3rd of a card length, but doesn't appear to add much if any height. Is there a chance of squeezing either of these into a Jornada 720's CF slot? Their hardware compatibility matrix lists both as compatible with the 720, but they may mean through the use of a PCMCIA->CF adapter. Anyone with personal experience on either of these devices?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-01-30 7:41 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hi!

i havent had experience with them yet, but i have already ordered a socket bt cf. after i receive the card, i ll report how much success i had with it.
i heard others also use this card (without problems?).
i dont think the pcmcia-cf adapter would be a problem. i have one and use it with an 512 MB cf memory card and with my laptop for bluetooth CF (sadly this bt doesnt work with the jornada 720). and its great.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-30 7:51 AM
#
H/PC Elder

From what I know, J 720 will only take type 1 CF within the square size. Almost anything larger won't fit. Its kinda intended for type 1 CF memcards to be stowed inside only.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-30 9:29 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The good thing with the Socket card is that it is Type 1. According to the measurements in the manual, the card itself is identical in size to that of the CF memory card sitting in front of me.

I see from your website that you like playing with power tools... an exercise in widening the CF slot on the 720 would be futile as it is only a type 1 bus, so to dissuade you from such a course, It wouldn't be a very good idea
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-01-30 9:51 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy, its true but it doesnt matter as there are pcmcia-cf adapters... so you can use any CF (or even SD, etc etc) in the pcmcia slot!
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-30 12:46 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah! I myself use my Pretec wifi cf card with a pccard adapter as well! I prefer to use the CF slot in my MP790 for CF mem card instead.

Just wanted to caution them in case they were thinking of using a CF wifi card in the J720's CF slot only to find it does not fit later.
 Top of the page
suemckoy Page Icon Posted 2005-01-30 5:32 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have a socket bluetooth card that fits in my compact flash slot. I'm able to get my Jornada 720 then to connect to my Nokia 6310i and dial the ISP. My only problem now is that the number connects but I get an error message stating that the number I dialled is incorrect and to check it again. I believe I may need to put in an AT command, but am still learning. The bluetooth card works properly though, and you can also use it with a pcmcia adapter, but I prefer to put it in the CF slot.
Cheers, Sue
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-01-30 5:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sue,

Are you dialing using GSM or trying to use a GPRS carrier. If it is GPRS you will need the phone / network provider GPRS settings / prefix / dial-string.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-01 8:11 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

a question for everyone using bluetooth with his/her hpc!

how much memory does the bluetooth manager/driver/whatever consume? i just heard that plenty of memory is needed........ or is it card/driver dependent? if so, i'd be most interested in information about the above mentioned Socket Bluetooth CF card.

thanks!!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.202 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10