x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

netbook Pro has a microphone

davidallan
davidallan Page Icon Posted 2006-07-02 3:33 PM
#
I found if I plugged my LG 8360 headset and mike into the netbook pro's speaker socket I could talk and listen using MSN CE. I needed to get the other MSN user to click the speak Icon and I then accept the request on the NB. Two sliders come up one for microphone level and one for speaker volume. It is very clear and saves money on phone calls.

Does anyone know of a recorder programme for ce.net to record meetings.

Cheers
Allan
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-07-02 10:09 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I can confirm that plugging in a standard 2.5mm cell phone headset/microphone combo works on the Netbook Pro. On insertion, a box pops up asking if the device is a headset or headphones. So, it appears that the port is dual-purpose. I used the version of Skype that has been hacked to run on Sigmarion III. I got my copy from Cmonex. It runs fine on the Netbook Pro and I was able to have a short two-way conversation with a friend of mine. Audio quality was very good for each of us!
 Top of the page
Francus Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 5:35 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I looked on Cmonex web site and did not find anything regarding skype. Where have you found the hacked version of skype that works on netbook pro?

It may be interesting also to use a SIP open standard (skype is proprietary), such as PocketPC softphone
http://www.xten.net/index.php?menu=Products&smenu=PPC

SIP allows to directly link to voipbuster and similar services that allow to make free calls to standard wired phones in many countries and most discounted calls to remote countries

Thanks
 Top of the page
Francus Page Icon Posted 2006-07-24 8:51 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I installed skype (the hacked version) on my netbook pro, but am only able to hear my partner, on the other side she doesn't hear me. What may be the problem since others are able to speak on the same device?
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-07-24 10:04 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The Netbook Pro does not have a built in microphone. You need to add one by plugging in a standard 2.5mm cell phone headset into the port on the right side of the keyboard and select headset when the dialog pops up on the screen. Essentially, the function of the port is software selectable to be either a stereo headphone out port or a monoaural audio out + microphone in port. I got my headset at Compusa for $12 and it seems to do a really good job.
 Top of the page
Francus Page Icon Posted 2006-07-26 12:50 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks Rocketman, but I am not yet able to get it working:
Following the suggestion of this forum I bought what should be (it may be not) a standard mobile phone monoaural headset with microphone. It is from Nokia and the 2.5 mm plug is divided into 4 distinct segments by 3 isolators (this is different from the standard stereo headphone without microphone in which the plug is divided into 3 distinct segments by 2 isolators).

Well, when I put this Nokia monoaural headset with microphone into the socket a dialog pops up and I have 2 choices:

if I chose headset and then call, hear absolutely nothing and the person on the other side hears my voice very very feeble, so feeble that the first time hung the telephone thinking there was nobody;

if I choose headphone and then call, hear perfectly, but the person on the other side hears nothing.

I hope it is the Nokia headset that is not compatible. Please describe the plug of a working 2.5mm headset is it a 4 segment-3 isolators or is it a 3 segments-2isolators?
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-07-26 3:12 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The Nokia type headset is not the standard. The standard is a 3 conductor plug. I would also make sure your Netbook Pro has the latest firmware.
 Top of the page
Francus Page Icon Posted 2006-08-03 11:18 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Now it works

Problem was the Nokia headset that is not standard: Rocketman, you are right!

I got a 3 conductor plug form a Sharp phone and it works perfectly

Many thanks for the help
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-08-31 6:32 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rocketman - 2006-07-02 5:09 PM
I used the version of Skype that has been hacked to run on Sigmarion III. I got my copy from Cmonex. It runs fine on the Netbook Pro and I was able to have a short two-way conversation with a friend of mine. Audio quality was very good for each of us!

I tried to look for it but the link for Skype on Sig3 pointed to some difficulties, and I'm not technically knowledgeable in WinCE. I'm looking primarily, for the Skype program that allows one to make voice calls to regular phones.
Please give me the link for the actual version you used?
Did you have to do any modifications for the NB, if so please detail?
This is an old thread but very useful if you want to use the NB as a phone, which I really need to do.
Hope you are still around to answer, if not I hope cmonex will.
Thanks very much
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-08-31 7:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm afraid Rocketman hasn't been around for a couple of years now. (It's been months since cmonex has visited us too.) This is one reason why we discourage reviving very old threads.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.181 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 11