x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

how to japanize a western jornada 720 ?

natsukashii Page Icon Posted 2005-01-31 2:58 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

dear group,
iam new to this... and maybe because of that i have a lot of questions... and i hope some expert could help.

A few days ago i became hold of a western jornada 720 and since then i try to japanize the device.

The biggest problem is that there seems to be no reliable ime for HPC 2000.
Every ime (such like: EFFY, ATOK ) exists only in Pocket PC version.
So the main thing is to make the western device interpret japanese kana and kanji... to insert them in every office program and to look up recent dictionaries and read japanese web sites.
by now iam able to write kanji with kanjiIn and to use JWPce and JIS... to look up radicals. So it seems to work and i will describe how to do it for everyone who needs help in this topic.

But iam not satisfed with that. I installed a copy of babbletower java dictionary but chaiVM is not able to open a .jar file... and after unzipping the .jar file... chaiVM opens the program but cannot write an exeption log file, what ever that is.

Is there any useful input-method for HPC 2000 such like the MS-Ime ?
Is there a possibility to get Pocket IE reading japanese fonts ?
how to edit chaiVM to make it accept .jar files ?

I just need a basic japanese environment to use for every application.
then i bought a copy of PocketTrans... it cost me for about $79... but it was the worsest expense i ever made... this program is not able to do anything.

Thank you so much for showing interest on that topic... and maybe there is some jornada expert who knows how to deal with japanization,

Niklas
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-01-31 3:55 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I am Chinese so I only looked at the Chinese software. There are a few of them and I tried one which worked perfectly; I can read and input Chinese in IE with no problem.

So it's possible there's one for Japanese as well. I will look around and get back to you later.
 Top of the page
natsukashii Page Icon Posted 2005-01-31 5:22 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

thank you, that would make me happy...

In the meantime i installed CE- Star suite 2.2... it is not pure japanese, but is able to display japanese kana und chinese/japanese Kanji... it also has a handwriting recognition... the dialog boxes and menus are in chinese... but iam able to get a clou of the displayed information.
Also the IE4.0 is now supported with chinese and japanese fonts...

By now i think CE- Star seems to fit best... because it fits perfectly in the jornada.

Niklas

Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-01-31 5:47 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Cool! ... care to share the link for CE-Star? I'm trying to get one chinese input and display app for my MP790. The last one I tested messed with my keyboard and some special keys stop running right.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-02-01 3:56 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yes CE-Star is a popular software too. But I heard it's not "embedded" into the system. I am not sure what the difference is. Can it display Chinese or Japanese in other places? Like filenames in File Explorer?

Anyway, the one I tested was Gismosoft Chinese. I just found that it supports Japanese fonts as well, but they don't have Japanese IME
http://buy.gismosoft.com/product/detail.asp?pw_id=25
Sorry they only have a webpage for it in Chinese. You can download it (just click on "ARM" for the version for Jornada) and the viewer function won't expire. Only the Chinese IME function would stop working after 30 days.

Another popular software is Monster Chinese. They have full support for Japanese too. You can download the trial here:
http://www.mactiontech.com/english/download.htm
Just scroll down to Monster Chinese, and get the Handheld PC version. But I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it's good or bad.

I will come back if I find more. Good luck
 Top of the page
natsukashii Page Icon Posted 2005-02-01 11:15 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

thank you so much,

first CE- Star: http://www.mobem.com/products/CE-STAR.php
the page for the ce-star suite 2.2 is in chinese but if you want to buy the software (about $38) inside the order form you can switch to english mode, they also offer a trial version.

But there is one thing about ce-star which i haven't checked... maybe the(asien language) Pocket Explorer support disable the java- scripting... but i don't know by now.

and also the Desktop and trash icons could be lost after soft-reset... kind of internal error (no message screen).

for a simple japanese input you just need: kanjiIN.exe, KCTRL.dll, KCTRL.lib and a kind of dictionary jisyo_m or jisyo_s... there is a link to japanize a handheld at the monash nihongo ftp area.

So, let's try out that monster thing... iam curious about

Niklas
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-02-01 3:13 PM
#
H/PC Elder

hmm, that link doesn't work, but I found the right one from the site root:
http://www.mobem.com/products/CE-Star.php
It must be the caps then
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9