x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720degrees development status?

1 2
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 3:41 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Ok, this has gone on for long enough. I understand that all of the developers, including me, were busy with school. The key word there is were. Where are you guys? Z80, you finished school over a week ago, and I have heard nothing about the status of the wiki or forum. Snickers, you are never available for contact, and I need you especially for organization of this project. Weblacky, who seems to have the least time of all of us, is the only one keeping in contact with me!

Come on now, we cannot keep like this. I kept saying development will resume in a week, then repeated myself for months. This is ridiculous. Perhaps I have been to gentle of a leader, but it is time to snap back into line! Look at Jlime's development team. They have a site with a center of communication between all the developers, and stuff is getting done. We need major development, with many problems to solve:

- Wifi crashes on suspend
- Console driver is unacceptably slow (requires programming skill)
- Kdrive, though I spent weeks of my time to compile it, is unavailable on the apt server
- Startup process needs to be streamlined and made more user-friendly
- Wifi needs to be switchable between more than one access point
- Serial/irda needs to be fixed
- Console needs to be spruced up (nothing as crazy as knoppix, but it needs to be unique)
- Thousands of packages must be searched for quality software
- Software needs to be repackaged for the distribution
- Quality documentation, a forum, and a more informative site need to be created. We have been offered more than enough hosting, it needs to be done.
- Konqueror needs to be working, dillo is and will probably always be a poor excuse for a web browser. It's development speed and standards sicken me.
- I hate pink. (requires programming)
- We must find, or create, a working word processor
- User-friendly scripts must be created
- The entire system must become user-friendly. You all know what I mean.

Now that we have a list, let's follow it.

Also, more developers are always welcome. I expect you all the developers to either post in this thread or contact me. There is no more sitting around, as of right now, 720degrees development is back on. We all joined this project because we were all devoted to finally creating a killer distribution for the 720. Now let's get to work.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-07-09 3:56 AM
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 4:04 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I thought this might be useful in helping your development efforts. The people working on the Psion Linux distros have come upon a neat way to do cross platform compiling. They use QEMU's new support for arm and install Debian ARM onto it! This is a great way to get all the speed benefits of a PC for compilation, without all the hastle of setting up and learning to do cross-compilation.

They have used this method to compile Firefox and a number of other applications.

http://909ers.apl.washington.edu/~dushaw/ARM/
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 4:09 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Tell ya what. Since i'm an OS junkie and i do have some porting ability ( see http://windoze.doesntexist.com/qnx/ for *nix apps i got to run on QNX ) i could at *least* donate 4 hours a week on something. Preferably compiling/porting/packaging. I'm no guru, just an enthusiast with some knowhow.

Also, i havent read every thread on this forum, but how about an IRC channel somehwere? Sure beats logging into a forum constantly. Preferrably freenode.net or oftc.net. Every project needs an irc channel.

Let me know.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 4:11 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I have been waiting for them to get strongarm support for a while. Thanks for the tip, this can really help my efforts on porting rhide. What does psion have to do with this? All they did is use other peoples work at qemu to do their bidding. Like us.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I meant PM or email me for an interview (can you do stuff? good).

As far as irc, I will be getting my server up as soon as I can get some pieces of plastic, and will get something up. If that takes too long, I'll just have someone set up a channel on a public server.

EDIT2: Cookies keep you logged in.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-07-09 4:13 AM
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 6:08 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Why not #hpcdev on Efnet?
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 7:08 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I was thinking more along the lines of #720degrees. Server wouldnt matter, just a place specifically for this distro. Would eliminate the extra clutter from say #hpcdev. Just my 2 cents.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 3:26 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

#HPCDEV isn't exactly crowded. I think I once saw 7 people in there. It is already the established channel where people interested in HPC development go, so why change?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 4:37 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Let's keep on topic. I will register us on a public irc server as a separate name soon. HPCDEV is off the topic that I want, as that is general development for handhelds, not for Linux specifically.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 4:43 PM
#
H/PC Elder

EDIT: Whoops, posted in wrong thread.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2006-07-09 4:48 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 5:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well i think a separate #720degrees channel would be better but the best would be if everyone would be hanging out at #hpcdev too that certainly makes development more fun!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 6:08 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Why are you spamming my thread? On topic!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 6:34 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Stickied at 720Degree's request. Happy to oblige.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 6:36 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Thanks!
 Top of the page
weblacky Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 7:29 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hi all!

I just posted the first version of the WPA howto on its own thread: Jornada 720 Linux WPA Write-up v1

To the moderators, could you please make that a sticky thread?

I am hoping to see good feedback, please add to the thread with your experiences...

Thanks, Weblacky
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-07-09 8:43 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok, I have now gotten in touch with two of the developers, weblacky and snickers. The last one to go is z80.

I also just contacted Gernoth again, I believe that he was supposed to be ready halfway through the summer, which is about now. We will see what happens there, but he is the only one who can really determine where Linux for the 720 is going.

According to snickers, the list is successful. Yay.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9