x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: Ranier Herrler's Mobile Sudoku 2.0 for H/PC

1 2 3
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-07-18 10:17 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The phenomenon that is Sudoku has swept the world, you can hardly open a newspaper, magazine or quiz book these days without coming across one. Despite the popularity of this humble maths puzzle, Handheld PC users have been unable to enjoy the cryptic puzzles on the move - until now.

John Ottini flexes his mathematical prowess in his latest software review, and looks at mobile application developer Ranier Herrler's Mobile Sudoku 2.0 running on the H/PC. But are John's numbers adding up?

Read the review and your say here on the Forums.

View: Mobile Sudoku 2.0
 Top of the page Quote Reply
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-07-18 11:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yet another excellent review, John .. I have not played Sudoku yet, to tell the truth.. When I have the chance, I will install this on my HPC and 'get my feet wet' in Sudoku...
Pavel Page Icon Posted 2006-07-19 12:59 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

If you have PocketDOS installed, you can download simple free Sudoku puzzle (originally designed for good old HP200LX) from
http://www.volny.cz/zampach/hplx
chasmanor
chasmanor Page Icon Posted 2006-07-19 10:13 AM
#
I bought this for my Jornada 720. Love it.
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-07-20 1:12 AM
#
Not trying to be rude, but John Ottini sure does review a lot of games. (Of course, this is not a bad thing ) I think one of the admin's mentioned that a while ago.

Although my completion of SD Online will be a few years from now, I'm thinking about trying to make a few games for the HPC myself, but I have no clue where to start... Perhaps I should email some of the mobile game developers and ask here THEY started...
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-07-20 7:33 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Crusader

Hmmmm......You and the mystery admin member seem to have selective memories .....here are the last 7 reviews I had published on the HPC:Factor wesite.

Ranier Herrler's - Mobile Sudoku (G)
Microsoft - Plus! Pack 3.0
Microsoft - Entertainment Pack 2.0 (G)
OmegaOne - Checkers (G)
Ruksun - Expense Force
DeveloperOne - ScreenSnap
Pocket Codeworks - Thesaurus/CE

By my count only 3 of the 7 were games.......oh well at least you are reading the reviews!

Good luck on your programming endeavour....... hope you are doing it for personal satisfaction and aren't planning to charge money for your games, because (according to the recent Poll) many people aren't going to buy the software, unless of course - it's free.

Edited by Hurricane John 2006-07-20 7:43 AM
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-07-21 1:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

They won't buy it then either - they'll just take it.
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-07-25 1:03 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hurricane John - 2006-07-20 4:33 AM
Hmmmm......You and the mystery admin member seem to have selective memories .....here are the last 7 reviews I had published on the HPC:Factor wesite.
By my count only 3 of the 7 were games.......oh well at least you are reading the reviews!

Well, maybe the mystery admin member thought when you did the Entertainment Pack review (it was two in a row ) that you would continue doing gaming reviews and now you have done almost 50% worth of games.. (Not speaking for the mystery admin member ) ..

2000th Post
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-07-27 4:02 PM
#
Frankly 10 USD for a Sudoku app with only 96 puzzles does not seem a big deal to me. Above all when one considers that the algorithm to generate new puzzles is quite easy to implement.
Apart from this consideration, the review is excellent as usual.
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-07-27 6:17 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Well, this is the first native HPC version of Sudoku, so I think it is a big deal...
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-27 8:26 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Guest - 2006-07-27 10:02 PM

Frankly 10 USD for a Sudoku app with only 96 puzzles does not seem a big deal to me. Above all when one considers that the algorithm to generate new puzzles is quite easy to implement.

sure.. why not write a free version with more than 96 puzzles?
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-07-27 11:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Pavel - 2006-07-18 9:59 PM

If you have PocketDOS installed, you can download simple free Sudoku puzzle (originally designed for good old HP200LX) from
http://www.volny.cz/zampach/hplx

Yeah, thanks, that is a good idea .. It would be good for a beginner like me, since I have not played Sudoku yet...
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-07-28 7:34 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Guest - 2006-07-27 4:02 PM

I not sure how many puzzles are needed to please everyone, but you can certainly create your own puzzles that can be played using Mobile Sudoku.

Edited by Hurricane John 2006-07-28 7:38 AM
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-08-01 1:10 PM
#
Hurricane John - 2006-07-28 7:34 AM

Guest - 2006-07-27 4:02 PM

I not sure how many puzzles are needed to please everyone, but you can certainly create your own puzzles that can be played using Mobile Sudoku.

This is not the point. I think that $10 for a Sudoku application that cannot create its own puzzles is too much. And it would still be too much with 960 puzzles included. If you write an application and you want to sell it, it must have some basic functionality. A nice GUI or interchangeable themes, is not enough. Adding some puzzles is not enough. Even more when there are plenty of free or open source applications out there that do create puzzles by themselves, even for the PPC platform. Of course, everyone here can disagree with me and rush for his/her copy of Mobile Sudoku
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-08-01 1:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Well, most of us will probably grab Mobile Sudoku 2.0, because as I said before, this is the first HPC native port... Maybe soon, in the next version, it might have that...
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9