x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

LINUX for NEC MobilePro 780

1 2 3 4
SLOB Page Icon Posted 2006-10-03 11:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm a newbie to linux and not a computer guru either by ANY MEANS so excuse the ignorance.

if I follow these instructions to instal linux on my MP780, everything is just on the CF card, so if I remove the card and reboot (hard reset??) then it will still have the win ce?

thanks for any help, Rob
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-10-03 11:21 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That is correct. Windows CE is embedded in the ROM of the H/PC, and Linux runs on top of it. Hard resetting leaves you with just what's in ROM, which of course includes Windows CE.
 Top of the page
SLOB Page Icon Posted 2006-10-03 11:26 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

CE Geek - 2006-10-03 11:21 PM

That is correct. Windows CE is embedded in the ROM of the H/PC, and Linux runs on top of it. Hard resetting leaves you with just what's in ROM, which of course includes Windows CE.

thanks, now I just need to grab an extra cf card and give it a shot. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions when I screw something up
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-10-03 11:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No problem. Welcome to the forum.
 Top of the page
geekette Page Icon Posted 2006-11-08 8:41 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi there!

I just got myself a second-hand mobilepro 780 and I'm trying to get linux working. But it keeps saying that I don't have the correct root device. I'm using /dev/hda2 as the instructions suggest. If I don't put a root option, i get a kernel panic.

Any ideas on how to solve this?
 Top of the page
geekette Page Icon Posted 2006-11-11 12:24 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

geekette - 2006-11-08 8:41 PM

Hi there!

I just got myself a second-hand mobilepro 780 and I'm trying to get linux working. But it keeps saying that I don't have the correct root device. I'm using /dev/hda2 as the instructions suggest. If I don't put a root option, i get a kernel panic.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

To answer my question: I finally got it working.

So, here's what I did for the mobilepro 780 using a 1GB CF card.

• Created two partitions on the CF Card. First partition is formatted as FAT16 and resized to 50MB. The rest make up the second partition formatted as ext2. Used cfdisk on Ubuntu 6.10 to create the partitions, but gparted or fdisk can be used as well. Made the ext2 partition bootable.

• Mounted the partitions to the linux machine using the directions stated on http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/NecMobilePro780HowTo.

• From the previously mentioned website, I downloaded the ROOT FS and extracted this into the ext2 partition.

• Downloaded the BOOT FILES archive from the previously mentioned website. From the archive, I copied only the EXE file into the FAT16 partition.

• Downloaded the NETWORKING KERNEL archive from the previously mentioned website. From the archive, I copied the VMLINUX file into the FAT16 partition.

• Unmounted the CF card from Linux and placed it into the MobilePro

• Ran linux on mobilepro as stated in the directions on http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/NecMobilePro780HowTo

Ran perfectly from there. I'm now going to try installing the graphical interface in a bit.

--
http://thegeekettespeaketh.pinoyweb.net
 Top of the page
TheRaven Page Icon Posted 2007-02-20 1:12 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Seems the files at the wiki are dead links now
 Top of the page
Derek.HPCManiac
Derek.HPCManiac Page Icon Posted 2007-02-24 3:48 PM
#
i'm waiting my new 2gb cf Card to install it
 Top of the page
cma371
cma371 Page Icon Posted 2007-02-28 11:00 PM
#
does anybody have the files?
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2007-03-26 5:49 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,

Keep an eye on jLime, they are starting a project for MP7xx
 Top of the page
geekette Page Icon Posted 2007-04-19 12:06 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

To those who were looking for the files on NecMobilePro780Downloads, I checked the site and the links seem to be up again (except for the development kit).

If it bogs down again, just email me or send me a pm. I've downloaded the whole lot today, just in case the links go down again.
 Top of the page
agnostig
agnostig Page Icon Posted 2007-05-03 10:07 AM
#
Hey! I just wanted to let everybody know I was able to use NetBSD and open applications from a remote computer, which runs Ubuntu. I have been able to open dillo, gaim, firefox, xmms, and several other programs. This is like the Linux on MP780 but a whole lot easier in my case, because the NetBSD port for hpcmips has a built in disk formatter. If anybody would want me to post or make a tutorial on how I did it, just send post back up on here.
 Top of the page
geekette Page Icon Posted 2007-05-03 10:17 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

agnostig - 2007-05-03 10:07 AM

Hey! I just wanted to let everybody know I was able to use NetBSD and open applications from a remote computer, which runs Ubuntu. I have been able to open dillo, gaim, firefox, xmms, and several other programs. This is like the Linux on MP780 but a whole lot easier in my case, because the NetBSD port for hpcmips has a built in disk formatter. If anybody would want me to post or make a tutorial on how I did it, just send post back up on here.

Oh could you? I'd love to learn how you did it. Specially the firefox and gaim.
 Top of the page
Kristoffer Page Icon Posted 2007-05-05 9:39 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I plan on merging those sources with with our jlime-current.git (kernel sources synced with linux-git) later today. I would want a maintainer for that platform though, since I lack the hardware for it.
 Top of the page
agnostig
agnostig Page Icon Posted 2007-05-05 1:43 PM
#
Attention! I have made a post on how to put NetBSD on a MobilePro 780 and how to get programs running from a Ubuntu box.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 56 - Executed queries : 21