x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows Mobile based Clamshell unveiled

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-02 5:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Microsoft and T-Mobile have today unveiled a new Windows Mobile device - with a difference. The new device is a VGA Clamshell.
The T-Mobile MDA IV boasts an incredibly impressive array of communication methods. Tri-band GSM, GPRS, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi coupled with support for the new WCDMA 3G networks.

The 100cm² device's feature packed also includes a 520MHz Intel XScale CPU, landscape support, reversible screen and two digital imaging cameras.
It is currently not clear however whether the MDA IV will launched running Windows Mobile 2003 SE or Windows Mobile 2005 (Magneto). The MDA IV is due for consumer release in the summer of this year.

Source: infoSync World

(t_mobile_mda_iv_02.jpg)

(t_mobile_mda_iv_03.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments t_mobile_mda_iv_02.jpg (79KB - 41 downloads)
Attachments t_mobile_mda_iv_03.jpg (44KB - 36 downloads)
 Top of the page Quote Reply
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-02 7:14 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Stupid knowledgeless generall humans....
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-02 7:17 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Wooo ... nice! hmmm .... any pricing details? <$500 without plan?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-02 7:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I wonder if they'll let us have one for review in the summer... humm

Just watch the editorial team fall out over who gets to do it
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-02-02 8:01 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

i'm not sure if i really like this...

i trust my jornada. but if this is just as reliable and if the keyboard is at least as good as the jornada's, i might switch.

the keyboard seems like a nokia 9500 rip off...why can't some designers think for themselves?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-02 8:10 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I'm personally speaking with you.
It is too small to be a replacement for the true Clamshell. However, it is an excellent step in the right direction.

My prophecies are coming true
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-02 10:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

well ... I guess as a handphone/handheld, it cannot have the luxury of near-fullsize keyboards like NEC MobilePros and Js ... of cos there is the Nokia Communicator ...

Actually if Nokia were to beef up its Communicator offering and have its price targeted for consumers, they will surely give the WinCE/WinMobile platform a run for their $$. Right now everyone is just going for small form factor ...

~~~~~~

I just hope my MP790 dun die before a decent HPC Factor handheld arrives ... then again, there is always eBay!! ... which is where my MP790 came from ...

OT: Now I am in a dilema ... my built-in mic is a bit flaky. It records with a sharp and loud buzz/whine at certain sampling format. Even the best comes with a slight low buzz. Its earphone jack is also cranky. If I insert my 2.5mm jack into it all the way, I hear nothing. If I insert half way, I hear something but I need to hold it there!!

Should I send my unit in for repair (warranty until end Feb!!) or ask for Advanced Exchange ... or should I just leave it, as I dun really use either function.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-02-03 2:31 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i absolutely agree

nokia 9500 isn't bad though. i didn't see one in real life yet but i do want to check it out ) still, i suspect it won't be a real replacement. i'm most worried about the 4,5" (?) inch and 640x200 screen (even 240 is barely enough sometimes ).

hey, do you have a WARRANTY for your unit?! i think you should take advantage of that ) of course, it's only my opinion. hmm, if you _never_ use those functions, just leave it there... but if you do sometimes, you could have it repaired..
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-03 5:06 AM
#
H/PC Elder

ya ... maybe I'll ask for Advanced Exchange instead of repair. Sending in for repair sometimes irks me. You never know what else might go wrong when the unit comes back!
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-03 8:19 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There are no current pricing details at the moment on the T-Mobile device. I suspect we will see them closer to the release date.

Asking for a full replacement doesn't always have its advantages. I recently did similar with my digi-boxes. They sent me new ones from inventory, and they were bad batch. I had to go through the polava with several boxes before I wound up with something that did the job, although I still have my suspicions on the current ones.
Either way though, certainly do something with it before the warranty expires. Who knows... if you're having a really lucky day they could give you a 900.
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-03 8:38 AM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-02-03 6:19 AM

Asking for a full replacement doesn't always have its advantages. I recently did similar with my digi-boxes. They sent me new ones from inventory, and they were bad batch. I had to go through the polava with several boxes before I wound up with something that did the job, although I still have my suspicions on the current ones.

Ya I know ... sometimes its really like playing dice. What I don't like is the blackout period while I wait for the unit to be repaired.

C:Amie - 2005-02-03 6:19 AM

Either way though, certainly do something with it before the warranty expires. Who knows... if you're having a really lucky day they could give you a 900.

ahahhaah ... Chris, you really give the man hope in times of darkness!!

but ... I did get lucky once with my T3 when I request for repair. I sent in for repair and when it came back, it had the *better* Sony transflective TFT LCD with the four orange colored stage lights at the bottom! That screen was really good, sharp and clear in bright outdoors as well, compare to the earlier one that came original.

I doubt I will get a 900 as replacement! ... but I think I will give them a ring to try and get an advanced exchange or something.
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-03 8:44 AM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-02-02 6:10 PM

My prophecies are coming true

hmmm .... does the ":" stand for Nostradamus?

C Nostradamus Aime?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-03 8:50 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It certainly does now
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-02-03 9:10 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'm undecided on this. In one way, it's great, but in another I think it'll be struggling to find a market.

I have an XDA 2s, which is an MDA III in a black outfit. It's really rather nice to have something based on modern hardware, with integrated bluetooth, wifi and mobile phone. It's fairly small - certainly enough smaller than the J720 to mean that I carry it almost always, whereas I couldn't say I do that with the 720 - and is exceptionally functional for its size.

One thing that lets it down is the screen: it's only 320x240. Coupled with the fact that PocketPC applications are, by and large, lazy when it comes to handing screen size changes due to the SIP (input panel) appearing - so people tend to code for the top 2/3rds of the screen only - it means the screen is very small.

Windows Mobile is a molly-coddling interface and I'm not terribly sure it's the most appropriate thing for a clamshell with a decent keyboard. Closing applications doesn't close them. The GUI is "wrong" for a keyboard based machine. etc, etc...

The real problem as I see it from the photos is the size of the thing. It looks like it's gained a few pounds, and the volume of it looks large.

Chris - should 100cm2 be 100cm3, or do you mean to give an area?

Would I carry that around all the time? probably. Would it replace the functionality of the 720? Probably not.

I hope that they've got it right, but I am concerned about the form factor and in particular about the hobbled nature of Windows Mobile, which doesn't suit this sort of "power user" device.

This is assuming it's aimed at "power users", and not just at those who have to have the latest toy pressed to their face/hip/whatever...
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-03 10:17 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

er.. well I wasn't planning on drinking it

I agree with you completely here though.

Whatever the intrinsic flaws in Windows Mobile, at least it is slowly hinting towards a comeback for our form factor. Will we ever see a True Clamshell again... I would optimistically like to think so.
However the specification is from a bygone era. This is a high res era - the fundamental constituent parts of the HVGA will have to be removed from the drawing board.

With any luck the MDA V will be a Jornada 720 size machine eh

(TMobile_MDA_IV.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments TMobile_MDA_IV.jpg (45KB - 37 downloads)
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.328 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 29