x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720 and the Internet Connection

1 2 3
confused
confused Page Icon Posted 2006-07-21 8:13 PM
#
I may indeed spend the rest of my life, which may not be long if I have to fight this (#@*&#@!) thing much longer!. I bought a 720 a couple of months ago with every expectation that I would be able to use it on the internet. Not a big expectation so I thought. Several hundred dollars poorer and two months later I still am unable to get the thing to connect to the internet in any manner what-so-ever. The use of the internal dial-up modem was a complete flop when I came to find on Handheld Attitude that Yahoo doesn't recognize the HP Dial Up and Cox Cable (my cable internet supplier) doesn't offer local phone dial up service..

My most recent attempt was to buy a router connect it in line with my cable nework and to buy one of those so-called HPC 2000 compatible PCMCIA cards listed on this web site. I went with the Nokia D311 since it was listed as compatible and available on EBay.

Of course it doesn't work either and I now see I need to insert a SIMs card supposely available from the wireless service provider into the side of the PC card. Well I don't have a wireless service provider --I'm trying to use the interner router 802.11b home network!!!!

Is there anyway I can regain my sanity or does someone have a gun??

Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-07-21 9:08 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The Nokia D311 is a combo wifi and cellular card. You only need wifi. Your best bet would have been to buy an Orinoco card for $25, as they work great with the Jornada.

but you might manage with the Nokia...
 Top of the page
confused
confused Page Icon Posted 2006-07-21 9:37 PM
#
Orinoco not list in the Compatble List for this ignorant chump (me). Fork out $25 more smackers? Might be time to throw in the towel.
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-07-21 11:31 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I run an orinoco in my 728, and used them in my 680, 620, etc when I had them. They're pretty much the most widely compatible wifi card in existance. They'll run under Anything.
You could probably sell that Nokia card to someone who can use it and buy an Orinoco and still have more money that you do now.
 Top of the page
confused
confused Page Icon Posted 2006-07-22 2:01 AM
#
Strangely,now I am advised that the Orinico is the best way to go when my research indicates the specs don't even declare the unit to be compatable with the H PC 2000 platform, ---something I thought to be very important to check. And the cheapest I have seen the card to be listed is $55 on the web. Where does one get one the card for $25? Thanks
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-07-22 4:24 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Jax184 is right. The ORiNOCO is compatible. Check the cards branded Lucent and Agere in the HCL. There you'll find ORiNOCO cards that work, as well as drivers for H/PC 2000. My Agere ORiNOCO Classic Gold card works very well in all my H/PC 2000 devices. Keep looking on eBay. You'll find a card in the $25 range before too long.
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-07-22 9:16 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I can get you a used but tested good card for $22.50 US plus shipping. That's exactly what I pay for them, I'm not trying to screw you with a huge markup.
It'll be a Lucent Orinoco Turbo Silver, which I can upgrade to Gold if you need the 128 bit WEP support.
Let me know if you're interested, and I'll send one off at the same time I finally get around to sending off CE Geek's machine.

Edited by Jax184 2006-07-22 9:17 AM
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-07-22 9:21 AM
#
The D311 is a resonable card, i use it for GPRS internet and occassional wifi on my 720. Did you install the driver from HPC factor?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-22 9:35 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

confused - 2006-07-22 2:13 AM

My most recent attempt was to buy a router connect it in line with my cable nework and to buy one of those so-called HPC 2000 compatible PCMCIA cards listed on this web site. I went with the Nokia D311 since it was listed as compatible and available on EBay.

Of course it doesn't work either and I now see I need to insert a SIMs card supposely available from the wireless service provider into the side of the PC card. Well I don't have a wireless service provider --I'm trying to use the interner router 802.11b home network!!!!

NOPE. you don't need a SIM card for the nokia. i have one and i know. just select wifi in the connection manager!
 Top of the page
Jahziel Page Icon Posted 2006-07-22 1:34 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I use a sandisk wifi/128 combo card. It seems to work great when I need it to. A couple of things I have found to be true and are referanced on several forums are:
a) You have to wait sometimes as much as a minute between picking up the signal and surfing.
b) HPC2000 can be picky with encryption, though several wifi managers seem to support encryption, the Jornada720 can be bogged down to where you get website timeouts quite easily.

Another thought is that if you have a 802.11b card and your network is set up for 80211g access only, your wifi manager will pick it up, but be unable to connect to it. On a laptop, you would just get a "limited or no connectivity" error, while the jornada might seem to connect sometimes, other times it may not pick up the signal at all. It also sometimes helps to configure mac address control on the router (especially if you have disabled encryption) in order to gain easier access.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-22 1:54 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Jahziel: so you don't use the control panel applets too frequently, do you.
"a)": 1 minute? i'd throw that card out.
i don't really recommend the sandisk for jornada users. it screws up the control panel, doesn't do open web, only shared, and if it really needs 1 min to connect.. well.
you are correct about the different behaviours of the laptop and the jornada (hpc2000). ce.net will usually let you know if it can't properly connect.
mac address filtering won't help with easier access, not sure what you meant there.
 Top of the page
confused
confused Page Icon Posted 2006-07-22 4:50 PM
#
Well, your response gave me a glimmer of hope. So I went to the HPC Factor downloads. But, alas, there are NO downloads for the Nokia D311. There is one for the D211, I tried it. didn't work.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-07-22 6:41 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Orinoco - Agere gold card works awesome. just buy this card.

san disk wifi/128 work with the J720?

S/F,
CEYA!

Edited by Ceya 2006-07-22 6:47 PM
 Top of the page
saket
saket Page Icon Posted 2006-07-22 6:42 PM
#
I am using a cisco systems aeronet 340 wifi card with a Jornada 720.
Works like a charm!
H/PC has built in drivers. I tried a 350 card, but could not get it to work.
Make sure to get a 340.

Also, don't use DHCP on the jornada. Manually enter an ip address (192.168.x.x),gateway and dns information into the H/PC.

It will work even if the router is set up to assign addresses by DHCP.

Hope it helps!
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-07-22 6:46 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Manual IP might be okay if you're at home on your own router which has been set to accept it, but it'll be useless for roaming around and connecting to other routers.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 31