x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

720 and the Internet Connection

1 2 3
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-06 6:48 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

KBoyKool - 2006-07-25 10:20 PM

saket - 2006-07-22 6:42 PM

I am using a cisco systems aeronet 340 wifi card with a Jornada 720.
Works like a charm!
H/PC has built in drivers. I tried a 350 card, but could not get it to work.
Make sure to get a 340.

Also, don't use DHCP on the jornada. Manually enter an ip address (192.168.x.x),gateway and dns information into the H/PC.

It will work even if the router is set up to assign addresses by DHCP.

Hope it helps!

If this is your opinion, so be it, but please do not confuse other users. The series 350 card (I have a 352) absolutely does work, as a number of us can attest. I have had no problems with mine, but you do have to use Cisco drivers, the built-in drivers do not work in my experience. This is covered in the HCL, IIRC.

As for the DHCP issue, I agree with Jax. I leave mine on DHCP, as I mostly connect at Panera stores. :+D
I second that motion, especially because the hp 700 series has ROM drivers for it.

In all likely hood you fell for the Cisco firmware ordeal. The firmware should match the driver version you're using. The ROM version on the 700 series is an old one, if your card has a newser firmware revision it may not work. Simply update both to the latest on cisco.com and it'll fly (in a PC Card sense of the word).

Confused!

Deary me, you're not having much luck at all here are you. The D311 actually states supported compatibility with CE. Is there the remotest possibility that the culprit here isn't the WiNIC's you've been using, but the PC Card slot in the Jornada?

oflash was the other user, and he stated that sadly he stopped tinkering with it.
 Top of the page
confused
confused Page Icon Posted 2006-08-13 9:12 PM
#
I'm back and still disgusted. Can anyone explain to me why the Nokia wireless Card D311 is shown in th HCL but there is no software download associated with it. The D211 has software but it doesn't work for the D311. Niether the Nokia site nor the software supplied with the D311 card work as a download for the HPC2000. How do you that state the D311 is compatible made this thing work and where did you get the compatable software for the D311? I remain, without internet. Thanks for any help.
 Top of the page
confused
confused Page Icon Posted 2006-08-15 3:07 PM
#

The idea that the PC slot may not work is enough to make me shutter. To think that I have spent all this time and money trying to get this thing to work and then to possibly find out I may have faulty equipment is enough to make a grown man cry. Is there a way to test the PC card slot? I presently don't have any other hardware that might be tried into the slot to assure it's functional. The only thing else on my mind is to possibly buy another adapter card. One that is known to work without any complexities (perhaps the orinico?) But I am lothe to do that knowing that indeed my hardward may be faulty. Woe is me!

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-15 3:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The best way to test whether the slot itself is faulty is to put a PCMCIA-to-CF adapter in the slot with a CF card attached. If it doesn't recognize the card, then pull the PCMCIA card out and try it in another device's PCMCIA slot. If the second device recognizes the card - well, then you know where the problem is.
 Top of the page
confused
confused Page Icon Posted 2006-08-17 12:34 AM
#
Well, I bought a CF to PC card adapter, and tried it as recommended. It works perfectly. So I guess I can conclude that the PC Card socket is just fine. So now I just need to get a Wi Fi card that works positively! What is the recommended card that is absolutely certain to work with these Jornada 720 puppies? Is that the Orinico?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-17 3:40 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'd go with the Agere ORiNOCO, yes. (Actually, I already have.)
 Top of the page
confused
confused Page Icon Posted 2006-08-17 11:07 AM
#
I ordered the silver version thru Amazon as the gold is not readily available. Is that satisfactory?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-17 2:13 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes if it is the agere or lucent wavelan.
 Top of the page
confused
confused Page Icon Posted 2006-08-17 3:11 PM
#
This is what I bought: Proxim 8461-05 Orinoco Silver PC Card 802.11a/b by Agere Systems $9.99 Please note it states both Agere and Proxim in the description. Please tell me if I screwed up

Edited by confused 2006-08-17 3:36 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-18 2:09 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I can't say for sure, but that doesn't sound like a compatible card. I don't recommend any ORiNOCO that says "Proxim" anywhere on it, though the 8420-WD has a 16-bit version that can work. (Not the Cardbus version with the gold band on the inserted end.) The Agere name on your card refers to the driver.

This thread may clear up some of the confusion:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4811&start=31&highlight=ORiNOCO+label&highlightmode=1

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-18 5:21 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

well the proxim does usually work on newer hpcs, doesn't it? it just doesn't like ce 2.0 and the like but i'm not the expert on orinocos, that's you CE Geek
 Top of the page
confused
confused Page Icon Posted 2006-08-18 10:50 AM
#
With my luck I'm probably still sunk. But I'll cross my fingers and await it's arrival by mail. With CE 3.0 maybe I have a glimmer of hope. Thanks guys for all the help. I'll keep posted.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 8