x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Screen repair help and bolt heads on underside of jornada 720

willdao Page Icon Posted 2006-07-26 5:14 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

My J720 screen is loose (and slightly cracking) along the bottom, where it connects to the base.

When I popped the battery out, two of the tiny bolts that apparently help hold the screen on dropped out.

What format and size tool do I need to put these back in a tighten them?

Part of the problem with the cracking of the screen may have been caused by these loose bolts allowing too much "play." And/or the bolts may have stipped the plastic "nut" holes; but I won't know till I try to replace them.

Tried the smallest allen (hex) wrench I had, but it was slightly too big. My eyes aren't the greatest--I can't tell if it IS a hex bolt.

Any other help or links to folks who have reglued the plastic parts for the panel and base connectors would also be appreciated! (There have been, in the past, such posts, even with links to pics, if I remember correctly).

Thanks,

willdao

Edited by willdao 2006-07-26 5:16 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-26 7:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

you need a torx6.
to investigate the cause of the loose screen, you may have to remove the hp or the jornada sticker .. try to tighten the screw under it (NOT too hard).
 Top of the page
willdao Page Icon Posted 2006-07-26 9:05 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi, Cmonex, how've you been?

Thanks for the tip...will climb into it later tonight; was thinking after I posted that it might be a star (Torx) bit that I needed.

Respectfully,

willdao
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-26 10:55 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

thanks life is good so far hope you can fix the jornada!! let us know.
 Top of the page
willdao Page Icon Posted 2006-07-27 12:33 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks, CMoneX!

Torx6 did the job.

I'd thought the plastic was tearing at the ends of the "base" connectors, where they attach the screen.

However, it was merely some unknown parts from the inside of the "tube/hinge" part along the back of the base; when I opened the screen absolutely fully (to flip it over and provide access to the back), these parts slipped back inside--where they belong! I think the parts that were slipping outside were parts of the spring system. (I really didn't look too closely; when I saw that there was something wrong, I quickly put the 720 away.)

Then, it was merely a matter of reinstalling the two Torx6 bolts that had come totally loose--that are over on the right side (when you're looking in the battery compartment, with the screen above).

So, no gluing required--didn't even have to mess around in the innards at all! (It looked and operated like it was WAY broken; now it's back to 100% like brand new!)

YEA!

I actually went ahead and torqued all the Torx bolts (the two main hinge bolts on the front are fine). The piece is solid. I recommend everone do this! Don't forget the bolt under the "Warranty Void if Removed" sticker in the battery compartment--that one was a bit loose on mine, too (most of them were, if slightly).

And I'm a happy H/PC fan!

Thanks again, CMoneX! (Glad things are going well for you!)

Peace

Edited by willdao 2006-07-27 12:57 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-27 8:30 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wow, cool, glad to hear it was so easy to fix

one part is not fully clear to me: "when I opened the screen absolutely fully (to flip it over and provide access to the back)" how do you mean opening it?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9