x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Linux/*BSD on a Jornada 820

BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-08-04 7:45 AM
#
My Jornada 820 has arrived, at last! The first one I ordered got lost during shipment (but the seller kidly refunded my fully!)
The question now is: may I run a Linux or *BSD distribution on it that supports enough hardware to be useful???

As far as i understand, NetBSD should run but I have no idea whether it supports the PCMCIA controller or not, which is necessary for me to use an ethernet card. On the other hand, I am not sure whether the kernel for the 720 works also on the 820.

The other possibility I have found is to install the Linux kernel for the 820 from here and then install packages from the debian-arm distribution. Is this really feasible?

Any further suggestion would be well welcome
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-08-04 7:12 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

If you are going to use Linux, I would use the 820 kernel, as the 720 one will lack features for the 820. I would also expect NetBSD to have pcmcia working, but who knows...
 Top of the page
rstanchak
rstanchak Page Icon Posted 2006-08-15 10:48 PM
#
You should be able to use the 820 kernel at jornada820.sourceforge.net

Kernel support is missing for the usb subsystem, but most everything else works, including PCMCIA.

The biggest problem is lack of a userland that is appropriate for the 820. Since it has a touchpad, but no touchscreen, support for X and opie are wonky in any zaurus, j720 or simpad userland images.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-08-21 2:30 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

You should be able to bootstrap a debian distro and tweak it to your likings...kdrive should work as your xserver. But more of the problems rely on driver development, and I don't know much on how the 820 is doing..
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 8