x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

WinRAR Installation

1 2
YOM Page Icon Posted 2006-08-06 1:30 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Good afternoon;

For laughs and giggles I tried to install WinRAR's Pocket PC version on my MP790 and, not surprisingly, was unsucessful.

I think need I need more information before pursuing this further, so for the cognoscenti amongst us:

1) Is there a way to extract a CAB file if the software is designed to be installed through Active synch?

2) WinRAR states that the program is designed for PPC 2002, 2003 and Mobile 5 devices. Are there any MIPS processors using these OS's?

Both of these are potential killers, so this might be ending here.

Thanks for any assistance or thoughts.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-06 1:56 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

1) YOM, see the "extracting cabs from host installers" article in the support section.
2) There are no MIPS processors running against those platforms. The CPU was all standardised onto the ARM architecutre at PPC2002's release
 Top of the page
YOM Page Icon Posted 2006-08-06 8:39 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

C:Amie - 2006-08-06 1:56 PM

1) YOM, see the "extracting cabs from host installers" article in the support section.
2) There are no MIPS processors running against those platforms. The CPU was all standardised onto the ARM architecutre at PPC2002's release

DUH, knew that was there and didn't even think of it, thanks C:Amie.
Well number two is a definite killer for me then.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-07 4:18 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news. If you can find an open source rar deflator, and are/know anyone with such programming capabilities you could attempt to port it.

I was sure that I've decompressed a RAR file on a H/PC at some point in time, however I do not have a H/PC with me today to find out whether my brain is frazzled on that score.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-07 4:36 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

If your brain is frazzled, then so is mine, cuz I have vague recollections of a multiformat extractor for CE that can handle RAR files. Don't recall for sure, though.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-07 4:51 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Welcome to my nightmare, will you be staying long?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-07 8:06 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

xacrett is your saviour i hope.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-08 4:05 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's the one I was thinking of. (Nice little utility.)
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2006-08-10 10:48 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Yeah, I emailed the author of PocketRAR a few years ago back when the Casio BE-300 was my main device. Back then he said he had no plans to support MIPS or any other processor than ARM. I doubt he has changed his mind. Its so depressing too. I doubt it would be any tougher than clicking the MIPS target in the Pocket PC 2000 SDK rather than ARM and pressing compile. If someone would like to try emailing again, you are welcome to try...but don't expect too much. :/

Xacrett is OK, but I find its lack of a UI to be a bit annoying and it often has problems extracting certain RAR files.

All hope is not lost, though. This guy over at the MoDaCo forums ported a version of Rarlab's "UnRar" open source library to WinCE Smartphone 2003 and made a little program with it. It works fine on ARM H/PC 2000 devices if you just change the OS version and provide an AYGshell. Is it not as nice as PocketRAR, but it would at least be better than nothing(or Xacrett) on MIPS, x86, etc.
http://www.modaco.com/UNRAR-SP-freeware-RAR-extractor-t240758.html

A few days ago, I emailed the author of UnRar SP and he sent me the source code. It is annoyingly a Visual Studio 2005 Project and I do not own that product. If anyone would like to try compiling it for MIPS and other processors, I have attached the source code to this post. Your best bet would be to try using the Windows CE 5.0 SDK with the MIPSII target processor. You can then just hexedit the OS version of the resulting exe manually. If someone would like to port it as a native HPC 2000 or even HPC Pro app, you are welcome to try. Oh, and I hope the author will not mind if I post the source code.

Edit: It seems to use an EVC++4 project file but the author claimed he used Visual Studio 2005...so I dunno what to think.

Edited by TFGBD 2006-08-10 11:22 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-11 3:48 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

TFGBD - 2006-08-10 7:48 PM
Xacrett is OK, but I find its lack of a UI to be a bit annoying and it often has problems extracting certain RAR files.

Sure, but I'm just happy to find one that can do it at all (and with MIPS).
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-08-11 1:06 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I give it a try at compiling (with eVC 3.0, since I've compiled some projects for more recent versions with a few tweaks) but there's no way of doing it.
BTW, what's your problem with PocketRAR? I use it on my HPC (with the 9.5K aygshell for those with ARM).
However, XaCrett is good (so here is where I heard about it), but I'll try to make some rar extractor based on some libs if I can't find any

[EDIT] I managed to compile a free rar library (decompression only) successfully for HPC Pro and HPC2K with ARM/MIPS/SH3/SH4 processors. So I guess that I'm being embarked again on a new adventure: writting a program for RAR extraction.
Geez, when will I have nothing to do at all?
I should get the "more active developer" award LOL XD!

Edited by ShadowMaster 2006-08-11 1:26 PM
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2006-08-11 8:19 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

There is nothing wrong with Pocket RAR. Its great. But, if you read my previous post you will notice it is ARM only and the author has no plans to support MIPS.

Did you say you got this rar library to compile for CE 2.11 or are you talking about something else?

PS: Can you provide an x86 build of Winwatch and Okey in your next updates? It would be much appreciated. Just choose the x86 target in the HPC 2000 SDK.

Edited by TFGBD 2006-08-11 8:22 PM
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-08-11 10:07 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Ok, I guess after finishing the "legacy" version of Okey I'll make both builds.
BTW I picked a rar library from other site, but YES, It compiled for CE2.11
 Top of the page
YOM Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 7:52 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Good morning;

Found copies of xacrett, one problem though. Does anyone have, or know where it can be found, an MIPS compiled version in english?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 6:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Sure - on my 790. Don't recall where I downloaded it, though. I can e-mail the CAB file - it's almost 200k so I can't attach it to a PM.

You can also try this link (translated page):

http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient-menuext&hl=en&u=http%3A//hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA023546/soft/xac4ce.html

Edited by CE Geek 2006-08-19 6:49 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 12