x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 Serial Connector Type

[Frozen]
1 2 3 4 5
Frozen
PDAfan Page Icon Posted 2006-08-08 6:48 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Is the serial connector type on the back of the Jornada 720 a proprietary type? I know it communicates via RS232, but what kind of connector is it? Did HP build it specifically for this unit?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-08 7:40 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It's proprietary for HP H/PCs.
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-08-08 9:30 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

well, since I've been experimenting a bit with this port, I'll reveal now what I've developed so far:
The port in the back of the jornada is propietary as far as "shape" is concerned. As you may know the other end in a hp sync cable is a standard DB9(Female). As far as pinout connections, in order to communicate with a computer, the cable HAS TO BE null-modem type (RX-TX, TX-RX, and so on). Well, so it was theorically possible to connect a custom null-modem type adapter at the end of the sync cable to revert signals to a straight fashion(RX-RX,TX-TX, etc). Not exactly theorically since I've proven it CURRENTLY possible. In fact I made it myself a couple of days ago.
After testing it was working, I went a step further and modified my sync cable to be a standard straight serial port without the need of an adapter (to make it a "sync cable" I must connect now a standard null-modem cable to the end of my hacked-sync-cable and it's done).
The Results? well, after fiddling a bit with it, I developed a sort of serial mouse driver that works wonderfully on my Jornada 728 (YEAH, I'm using a serial mouse in my Jornada). I made it "tray-loadable" so it can be loaded and unloaded when required. I'll be releasing it after a few more testing
With the modification I've made to my cable, it's possible now to connect other serial devices as long as a driver is developed along with them (joystick coming ). I guess external modems should work too.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-08 10:25 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

What a guy. Thanx, ShadowMaster.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-09 4:57 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Very impressive.
External modems should work anyway, the platform devices all come with a standard hayes unimodem driver for "External modem on COM1".

If you wanted a tester, I'll have to check to see if I have the right converters at home - I certainly have a DB9 mouse or two.
So, reviving your old Joystick project from February again
 Top of the page
snk4ever Page Icon Posted 2006-08-09 5:05 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Is there a free terminal application I could use with the COM port ?
As a network technician, I sometimes need to access the console port of routers or switches, if I could do it with the Jornada, it would be wonderfull !

Edited by snk4ever 2006-08-09 5:06 AM
 Top of the page
stasheck Page Icon Posted 2006-08-09 9:56 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

That'd be useful for me to. For a time, I stick to vxHPC, but I don't want to pay 29$ for it.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-09 10:06 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

vxHPC is the best. As with all thing, if you want the best, you pay the best.
 Top of the page
oflash Page Icon Posted 2006-08-09 12:42 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Some fine hacking, to be sure. To have a mouse option on the Jornada series will be fantastic. As would the joystick project. So many Doom WADs. . .

Anyway, now that some additional I/O has come to be, I’d like to ask everyone to take a look back at one of my first (optimistic) newbie threads. It concerns the possibility of Bluetooth via serial on the 7xx:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5219&pos...

Any thoughts, ShadowMaster?

Edited by oflash 2006-08-09 12:45 PM
 Top of the page
PDAfan Page Icon Posted 2006-08-09 2:17 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Whoa! ShadowMaster, I must have read your mind, since you are way ahead of me on the same idea. I take it you used your existing cable to get the Jornada end? Funny, when I bought my refurb Jornada it came with the USB cable, but no serial cable. When they were new, they came with the serial cable and no USB cable.

Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-08-09 9:19 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

i actually think is too much of a trouble to have BT via serial port, since CF solutions already exist and are pretty good (at least Symbol's offering is quite quite good, it even fits in the internal slot). BT offers lot of functionality that may need to be implemented from scratch. IMHO It's not a short project.
 Top of the page
insurgent Page Icon Posted 2006-08-09 10:10 PM
#
Administrator
Factorite (Elite)

Excellent job SM!
 Top of the page
PDAfan Page Icon Posted 2006-08-10 11:03 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

In sweet anticipation of possibly using a mouse with my jornada , I have order a Serial Sync cable from HP. Now, if that sync cable is a null modem cable, can't you use a DB9 Null modem adapter to reverse that? It should just swap the pins back to turn it into a Straight Serial cable. No need to hack the original cable. Right?
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2006-08-10 11:10 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Yeah, but the serial sync cable ends in a db9 female connector. Null-modem cables are usually female-female, SO you have no way to connect it. You can make a male-male null adapter and then you are ready to go.
However, notice that the sync cable has considerable length. Add the length of an adapter (or custom null modem cable) and the length of the mouse cable, and you'll have a connection long enough to use the mouse two rooms away of your jornada. xD not good.
That's way I hacked the cable. I actually made it short enough to be comfortable.

EDIT: I'll be releasing the "driver" today. Stay tuned

Edited by ShadowMaster 2006-08-10 11:11 AM
 Top of the page
oflash Page Icon Posted 2006-08-10 11:47 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I can’t wait! Is the ‘driver’ only good on HPC2000 or can I hook it up to a Jornada 820? I guess the question of CPU dependency is built into that inquiry, too.

Edited by oflash 2006-08-10 11:57 AM
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.285 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 31