x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

jmztaylor Page Icon Posted 2006-08-12 8:30 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I am getting rid of my J720 but I want to still work on my website and stay around here. Is there a emulator I can use to still do functions? I saw the one on the microsoft website but I can't compile it. Thanks
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-08-13 12:00 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Okay, for questions..
Why are you getting rid of your J720? Also, do you mean you tried the HPC Pro SDK emulator? Why exactly do you need the emulator? Also, would you want an x86 or ARM?
And, I do not believe there was an HPC2000 emulatorm so you will have to make do with the HPC Pro one...
2200th Post
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2006-08-13 1:15 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

There's also a CE 4.2 emulator (x86) which along with the CE 4.2 dev kit can get interesting.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-08-13 1:18 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Where can that be found? Are you referring to eVC?
 Top of the page
jmztaylor Page Icon Posted 2006-08-13 7:36 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=faa8c81d-7316-4461-a0ed-6c95b261ddcd&DisplayLang=en this is the one i tried. I am getting rid of my J720 because I am moving on to something else. But like I said I don't want to waste the time I already put into my site and whatnot
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 1:27 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Correct. There is no emulator for Handheld PC 2000. Instead, Microsoft gives you an x86 H/PC 2000 OS image that you are supposed to boot on a secondary "CEPC" for debugging and development. The image will boot on the x86 Windows CE Device emulator, but since it does not have the correct video drivers, it will not be usable.

If you download the Handheld PC Pro SDK, that comes with a sort of Windows CE simulator. Despite being called the "x86em Emulator" by Microsoft, this is not a true emulator. Instead, it runs specially compiled Windows CE progams as Windows NT processes on top of Windows NT/2000/XP. (CE apps will even appear in Windows Task Manager) But I assume that if you want to test your websites, you do not want to use the very dated Pocket IE for CE 2.11 based H/PC Pro.

The CE 4.0/4.1 and 4.2 OS images for the x86 device emulator will work but both OS versions have a newer version of IE CE than the one that ships with H/PC 2000 so there will be some differences. (Basicly the difference between IE 4.01 and IE 5.5 and 6.0)

Here are links to the SDKs and emulators that I mentioned:
Handheld PC Professional SDK: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=B75DB4FB-1AED-4B45-AF62-3C38AC8A1EA7&displaylang=en

Windows CE 5.0 x86 Device Emulator - This is basicly just the x86 WinCE emulator (based on Virtual PC) with a sample Windows CE 5.0 OS image:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a120e012-ca31-4be9-a3bf-b9bf4f64ce72&DisplayLang=en

It only has Pocket IE so I'm not sure how useful it will be to you. If you install this, you should also be able to run the other x86 Windows CE OS images listed below:

Windows CE .net 4.0 Webpad and PDA sample emulator images:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=77c223ab-b01f-4173-bebf-b0d24d0f0606&DisplayLang=en
PDA comes with Pocket IE and Webpad comes with IE 5.5

I hope this helps a little.

Edited by TFGBD 2006-08-19 1:48 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 4:08 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The HPC2000 x86 image's problem lies in the BSP support for the VESA specification - or there in lack of. The image cannot sustain an equivalent of the display output on modern hardware. You need to use a very specific set of ISA hardware in order to get the image to perform at an acceptable level on the device. If I boot it up on my 486, it runs just fine. The same is also true of the images network driver arythmatic for its NDIS support, it doesn't properly interpret the Novell driver model (and if you want to use the DEC driver, forget it, it was never properly implimented).
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 11