x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

FS [Global]: SmartBook G138

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-13 6:09 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Book Digital Co. SmartBook G138 Handheld PC

It's that time of year again, yup, C:Amie's putting something onto hpcBay
... it's an annual extravaganza!

I have a small number of SmartBook G138's to sell to the community. I'm giving people on the site first dibs before the real-world people (does that mean you're all figments of my imagination?) who are chewing my arm for them get a look-in.

System Specifications:
  • Windows CE .net 4.2 (4.1 can be provided)

• Genuine Intel StrongARM SA1100 Processor operating at 206MHz

• 128 MB Internal RAM

• 32 MB Internal FlashROM

• Touch Screen digitiser

• Integrated touch point with mouse click gestures & 'click n' hold'

• Independent Left/Right mouse buttons

• 800x480x16-bit (native) Resolution low dot pitch TFT screen

• VGA out up to 1280x1024

• Built-in Stereo Speakers and Microphone

• Near full-size keyboard, with F keys - EN-GB layout

• Micro USB port

• Built in 10/100 Mbps wired LAN (RJ45)

• Cellular Antenna 900/1800 MHz (Siemens MC35)

• SIM Card Slot

• GPRS ready, Capable of Making Voice Calls and Sending Receiving SMS's

Package Includes:
  • Book Digital SmartBook G138 (Silver)

• Leather sheath style carry case (See cosmetic section below)

• AC Adapter

• Stylus

• European Mains lead (UK buyers will get UK attachment)

• Free 64MB CF Card complete with the devices iPhone suite

• USB A type to Micro USB sync lead

• Stereo headset complete with in-line microphone and volume control

• CD with the usual bits and pieces on it. ActiveSync, PDF manual

The devices have absolutely fantastic screens on them, and with the same processor as the Jornada 700 series simply put it to shame performance wise. I took one of these to work with me last week and we sat and watched a DVD Catalyst inspired copy of 'The meaning of life' during lunch - everyone had good things to say - especially DVD Catalyst when I showed them their benchmark file data funnily enough. The device has 2D hardware accelerated graphics and dedicated VRAM.

The CE .net install comes with COA sticker. Has the usual viewers, MSIE 6.0, Windows Media Player 9, Terminal, WordPad, Solitaire, Freecell, Remote Desktop Client, Windows Messenger CE (Working!) with Audio chat support.

Prism 802.11b drivers and Bluetooth CF drivers are already in ROM, the 802.11b work with my Prism adapter.

The DUN Stack supports:
- Dial-Up Connection
- Direct Cable Connections
- VPN (PPTP)
- PPPoE

Gallery:

All devices will of course be tested before shipping, they also have built-in diagnostic tools for self testing.

If you want CE 4.1, I can provide the image - I can also provide go-back images to get the device up to 4.2 again. It isn't inconceivable that someone could generate a CE5 / CE6 image for it at some stage either - and there's always the possibility for Linux too (if you're so inclined).

Cosmetic / Device Condition
Nearly all of the devices are, in actual fact, New. There are three exceptions which have the odd scratch on them, these we have been using as test units. When I say the scratching is minor, they really are. If you want one of these, I'll knock some off of course.
I only have the cases for four of the brand new units, I'll throw them in as freebies for the first few buyers of the new ones.

Second Units / Non-Accessory Units
I have a couple of units which are fully operational, include styli but no AC, cabling (standard Micro USB cable & standard 3.5mm jacks), no CF - in short no accessories. If anyone wanted two units, or has a SmartBook already and wanted a second. Or, if you wanted to make up your own AC adapter I'm happy to give you a good deal to find them a happy home.

Shipping:
I'll ship at cost (with packaging) anywhere in the world, using any system so long as I have proof of dispatch. How and if you want it insured (recommended) is just let me know.
If are in the UK you could conceivably collect, however it would be during the day of a weekday, at wherever it is I'm working and when is convenient to me, sorry folks, harsh I know

Payment:
- UK Cheque (a min of 4 working days clearance will be needed before posting)
- UK Bankers Cheque (If you are so equipped)
- UK Bankers Draft
- UK Postal Order
- Cash: £GBP Only (Posted via secure money courier - the post office offers it now)
- UK Bank transfer
- International IBAN Transfer
- PayPal - NO CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS, sorry again.

What has this got to do with HPC:Factor and the other Site Owners:
Nada, this is a private offer to the community using the hpcBay resources of the site.
It has nothing to do with the owners or staff.

Cost:
I am looking for £250.00 GBP for each unit. I am open to negotiation if you want to discuss it with me.
If any of the forum old-hands / established application developers are interested I'll make additional exceptions. Who and what constitutes a forum old-hand is down to my interpretation though - I think you all know who you are by now

Questions, comments, additional Photo requests:
Just ask here if you want more photos or what have you. If you want to discuss shipping or what have you, please PM me.
There will also be a full review coming on the site, just as soon as Clinton gets back from his holiday. It'll go into more detail on who, what, where, when and why.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-08-13 6:46 PM
#
H/PC Elite

This computer is awesome. You have programs for this.

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-13 6:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Ceya, was that a question?
They are excellent devices, I give you that
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-08-13 7:11 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Do you have programs for these? Like the phone program I see on one of the pics.

Have you printed from your test models?

CF WiFi works well and it is so much like a real laptop it is hard to tell the difference. Last night everybody was asking me about it and the J720. There is a strong market for HPC .

S/F,
CEYA!

Edited by Ceya 2006-08-13 7:39 PM
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-08-13 7:55 PM
#
H/PC Elite

they also have built-in diagnostic tools for self testing.

It does, Where?

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2006-08-13 9:05 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Oh wow!! That thing is so nice.... I'd consider my right arm for one if I could sell it for £250+P&P :-P

Maybe.... Would you consider a trade for some of my hard-to-find units and Win9x HPCs? (Considers my all-black pre-production Jornada) Oh... I know I'll miss them but I have enough that it may be worth your while. I dont need any accessories other than the unit, battery, stylus and the goodies CD... I can make an adaptor ( I have a 12v 4A jobber which is nice and slim) and all the acessories are just more £ to the pile :-) I'd be more than happy with any of the scratched units, odds are I'd repaint it like I did my Fiva eventually, and that turned out SO well!

I'm just hoping you'll consider my offer, and that some combination of stuff I have, and the optional booster shot of cash can make a solid offer.

Email me for a list of my wares, and all their specs (as far as condition). petersoDELETETHISnpete(a)comc@st.n3t. Dont mind all my spam precautions :-P
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-14 9:52 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Ceya, the photographs I made last night, they are © C:Amie, so yes, I do have the program you see in the screen shot.

I have not printed, it isn't something I tend to do from CE, and I don't have a PCL3 printer.

On the Book Digital's, the diag is Start > Run testhw > ok

Pete P.,

Do remember that these are new. The compacted answer to your question is that I don't really need any more H/PC hardware at the moment, unless you were offering up... well, everything. Wouldn't it just be easier to continue over the PM system?
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2006-08-14 12:01 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

PM sent.
 Top of the page
anrus
anrus Page Icon Posted 2006-08-15 9:40 AM
#
What is price and condition of non-accessory unit?

C:Amie - 2006-08-14 1:09 AM

Second Units / Non-Accessory Units
I have a couple of units which are fully operational, include styli but no AC, cabling (standard Micro USB cable & standard 3.5mm jacks), no CF - in short no accessories.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-15 2:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

anrus, the condition is good, I would need to give them a full burn-in test cycle just to be sure, but they are cosmeticly fine. One has a small scuff. PM me if you want to talk about it.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-08-15 5:21 PM
#
I'm a little interested (i'm going to have to give up my Jornadas soon, looking for a replacement)

Can anyone tell me if these will run the PPC version of TextMaker, or if they have their own word-processing capabilitys? How much would just the unit and power adapter be?

EDIT: How long does the battery last and is the GPRS compatible with the UK's system?

Edited by chazco 2006-08-15 5:29 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-15 5:44 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

chazco,

I'm not breaking boxes up, once all of the demo/display units are go it'll just be new units that are left. In actual fact, right now I'm looking at having just one of those left at the moment.

They all have the CE .net WordPad on them, which is very similar to the H/PC Pro Pocket Word; it's almost identical. I honestly do not know RE TextMaker PPC, I've never had cause to download its demo.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-15 6:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

chazco - 2006-08-15 11:21 PM

I'm a little interested (i'm going to have to give up my Jornadas soon, looking for a replacement)

Can anyone tell me if these will run the PPC version of TextMaker, or if they have their own word-processing capabilitys? How much would just the unit and power adapter be?

EDIT: How long does the battery last and is the GPRS compatible with the UK's system?

why do you want to run the ppc version? huhh theres a hpc version as well!

of course it will run, 99% sure there. (not sure about the 2006 beta, didnt work for me, but the older ones will)

gprs should be compatible yes!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-08-15 10:04 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I really want one, I just can't justify the cost. Tuition is due soon.
it sucks! Oh man I want one!!!
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 12:47 AM
#
H/PC Elite

chazco - 2006-08-15 5:21 PM

Keep at least one jornada. Trust me.

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 11