x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Anyone with a Sigmarion 2 ?

1 2
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-08-17 4:39 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Has anyone already tried a Sigmarion 2 (HPC2000, mips) ? I would be particularly interested in some feedback regarding the screen quality ( sharpness, brightness, ghosting, compared to similar devices like the Jornada 7xx series or the NEC mobile pros), and the battery behaviour: NEC batteries seem to be worse than Jornada ones, and the Sig2 was made by NEC...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-17 10:17 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

yup i have one.

have to admit, screen & cpu better than in jornadas

video is actually much more bearable on it, definitely less ghosting and such and is played faster (better cpu performance - check out my betaplayer test benchmarks in this forum somewhere). sharpness? well about same or maybe sharper than on a jornada, slightly smaller screen and same resolution. brightness looks quite OK, but i haven't tested it out in bright sunlight outside. i will try though, i'm curious.

battery, i don't know, i've not run a battery test on it, looks about the same as a jornada 1500 mAh so far, but i'll test... it has a 1800 mAh battery by the way. screen is same size or maybe smaller so it is lower consumption as well.. i mean, the nec mobilepros' battery life is worse because it's the same 1500 mAh @ 7.2V battery as in a jornada 720 (nec 770&780 - 790 has 1700 mAh), and the screen is much bigger so eats much more!

it is not a wise thing to judge battery life by manufacturer though one thing is for sure, HP usually ensures good battery life, they actually seem to care about it!!

edit: ooh i realized now! you want to buy one for 69 EUR from loloc-pro, correct? seller is OK, machine is OK especially for this price.. should i get a second one? well worth the price, too bad no ac adapter comes with them (but it is a quite normal 9V 1A). and of course loloc-pro didn't realize it cannot be translated to english at this time yet. but if many people buy these things we will surely work it out (it is possible, just a lot of work to do).
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-08-17 11:41 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi Cmonex,

I should have known: you have got all Hpcs ever made on earth...
Yes, you guessed correctly: I found Loloc-pro's offer really interesting...
Your comments on the Sig2 suit my expectations, so I just ordered one. The Sig2 appears to be an interesting mix between a Jornada 7xx and a NEC Mobilepro.

My only fear concerning such exotic devices is the battery life: I know it should be possible to rebuild a battery pack, but I don't like that very much...

BTW, can you check if the charger is the same as NEC mobilepros ? ( same connector ?). I could probably get a US Mobilepro charger, but I am not sure if they would work in Europe (voltage).

Concerning the MUI package, I think this will be my next challenge. I have got all the necessary tools to do that.

PS: Cmonex, is the Sig2 USB-Host connector the same as the Sig3 one ? I have got this rare Sig3 USB host connector, and I'd like to use it with my new toy...

Edited by Geared2003 2006-08-17 11:45 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-17 2:02 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

OK i'll check the charger when i get back (have to run now).

the mobilepro adapters are autosensing between 100-240volts. you just need a little adapter plug to be able to use it in EU outlets.

battery is two standard 18650 cells (they changed that with the sig3 )

mui: yeah, quite a challenge, translating the stuff by hand. you may need quite some japanese knowledge for that? but theres another idea that i'll tell you about privately.

and no, the usb host is very special, its a foma connector, but the good news, can be homemade somehow. i'll try to find some description.
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2006-08-17 2:42 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Geared2003 - 2006-08-17 4:39 PM

Has anyone already tried a Sigmarion 2 (HPC2000, mips) ? I would be particularly interested in some feedback regarding the screen quality ( sharpness, brightness, ghosting, compared to similar devices like the Jornada 7xx series or the NEC mobile pros), and the battery behaviour: NEC batteries seem to be worse than Jornada ones, and the Sig2 was made by NEC...

i have a review on this powerful hpc: powerful enough to play ori. vcd files on it, much less ghosting than on HPs. but I am still not satisfied with the lcd screen.

http://www.rothberger.net/pages/reviews/zx_sig2.shtml

btw, the usb host adapter for s3 is not rare at all. it is a standard usb mini-a to standard a converter. Some usb host ppc also uses the same converter. like Mio 558.

so u can probably find that converter on a variety pc store, without much difficulities.

of coz, it is much difficult to find a "NTT S3 USB Host converter" only, without knowing all the story.

Edited by iamjoe 2006-08-17 3:03 PM
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-08-17 2:52 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Cmonex:Concerning the MUI translation, I have some very basic japanese knowledge: enough to understand katakanas ( the japanese computer language is basically English, phonetically converted in Katakanas). With English HPC2000 ROM files,it shouldn't be too complicated, just time consuming... And I already have some experience with the Sig3 conversion anyway. But if you have another (better) method, please send me a PM... If you know how to make a suitable USB host cable, please let me know too. Thanks again.
Iamjoe, I have already read your extensive report, which is probably the only test of the Sig2 in English. Very informative, thanks...

Edited by Geared2003 2006-08-17 3:01 PM
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 1:15 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Silly fellas!

Geared2003: Why would you need to translate the OS at all? Just use your existing Shell transformation pack and make new MUIs from the resources in the files you dumped from the J720's ROM. I assume that is where you got the resources you used in your transformation package anyway.. Don't make more work for yourself when you don't need to!

For all languages other than English, you can just take the MUIs from Paragon's Language Extender. For example, just rename "LEpwdres.dll to pwdres.dll.040c (or whatever your LangID is) and you now have a Windows CE OS compatible MUI file! It really is that simple.
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 2:46 AM
#
H/PC Elite

TFGBD, I think you misundertood. Of course, I was not going to translate all resources from scratch : my Japanese knowledge would not be enough for that anyway!
Just as you said in your post, my intention was to inject all necessary HPC2000 resources in MUI files (together with my customized bitmaps and icons): of course, I can use the ROM files I have, but it is not so easy, because I cannot extract usable RC or RES files from XIP compressed executables, in order to easily import them in my MUI files: so everything has to be done manually, which is very time consuming ... If I had uncompressed CE3 files, all of this could be done very quickly.
And, some "real translation" is still necessary, because there are always device specific elements, which do not belong to the OS itself.

Can you be more specific with this paragon trick ? where did you get these files ?
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-08-19 5:03 AM
#
H/PC Elite

TFGBD, I downloaded the Paragon HPC2000 Language extender (romanian): very interesting indeed... All HPC2000 resources are in an uncompressed form. It's a pity that only eastern european languages are available though... anyway, it will definitely help me to build an english version.
Thanks for the tip.
 Top of the page
DFJ
DFJ Page Icon Posted 2006-08-21 9:18 AM
#
Hello. My pseudo is loloc (loloc-pro on EBAY).

Im the owner of directfromjapan company.
We have a office in Japan and europe.

For your information, we are able to have LOT of WONDERFULL machine working on Every system (windows Ce.net, HPC 2000, etc etc...)

Only one problem is than almost product is Natif in JAPANESE.

We have find some informations for translate some product (like Sigmarion III, than we sale on EBAY, like Zaurus, etc etc...)

So, if some develloper is interesting to create MUI for product, we can sale at VERY good price a LOT of product than its ONLY avaible at japan.

If someone in interesting and need help about product, my email is : loloc.pro@gmail.com

Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-08-21 11:22 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Bonjour Loloc,

I have just ordered a Sig2 from you...
Concerning the MUI package the Sig2, I am building it right now: this package will translate any foreign HPC2000 device ( including the Sig2) into English. I am already beta-testing an alpha version on a French Jornada 710: so far, 90% of the UI is already translated. I hope to release a public beta version soon.
 Top of the page
DFJ
DFJ Page Icon Posted 2006-08-21 2:28 PM
#
Hoo ! really good, please send me the file and i try with a product than i have in stock. For your information, your order has been sent. regards
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2006-08-21 4:57 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

DFJ - 2006-08-21 9:18 PM

Hello. My pseudo is loloc (loloc-pro on EBAY).

Im the owner of directfromjapan company.
We have a office in Japan and europe.

For your information, we are able to have LOT of WONDERFULL machine working on Every system (windows Ce.net, HPC 2000, etc etc...)

Only one problem is than almost product is Natif in JAPANESE.

We have find some informations for translate some product (like Sigmarion III, than we sale on EBAY, like Zaurus, etc etc...)

So, if some develloper is interesting to create MUI for product, we can sale at VERY good price a LOT of product than its ONLY avaible at japan.

If someone in interesting and need help about product, my email is : loloc.pro@gmail.com

can u source the JVC Mp-c303 or c304 recently? also a HPC 2k MIPS HPC
 Top of the page
javier Page Icon Posted 2006-08-21 7:10 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

This question is for loloc-pro,

the sig II looks very nice but I would like to know the condition of the batteries, do they hold charge? and how long do they last?

Maybe thes questions are not in the right place but just talking about the sig II, it might be good to know what is the condition of the product.
 Top of the page
DFJ
DFJ Page Icon Posted 2006-08-23 9:19 AM
#
hello. the product is like new. Battery is good condition. we only sale a product in good condition, in case of the product has a problem, we inform the auction.

PS: I receive and tested the MUI for sigmarion II, its works PRETTY WELL !!!! THANK YOU ! You have make a very good job.

For information, we are close from august 25 to sept 15. We are not able to check for the product or reply to quote. For sure, we check this topic (and why not create a topic directfromjapan ? ) and reply to quote when we are back, after sept 15.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10