x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: Book Digital Co. SmartBook G138 (Flashback)

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next »
Frozen
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-02 2:03 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2006-10-02 12:26 PM

Yes, but I don't understand how they went virtually overnight from working fine to full scale failure. They were completely tested and holding their own at 100%. I have it on my little test sheet. Did the package arrive ok? Was it wet? Dented? Anything?

I'm still making you my new cell priority, I just need them to arrive with me here.

It's quite a lot if you ship direct, which is why I proxy ship through someone else.

you never know with batteries!
this is why usually they are not guaranteed in ebay sales, etc., and only warranted for half a year with original manufacturers.
so, it is not your fault
btw, my smartbook's battery is still holding up thank god. (even though i managed to discharge it twice standby time isn't great with these is it ) but a friend of mine recently bought a smartbook from ebay, and its battery was fine for like 5 charge cycles then went down to 89%... dunno where it is now..
so the problem looks a little more wide spread. that smartbook is *supposed* to have a half a year old (official smartbook) batt in it (was changed after original one died).
my guess would be that the manufacturer was crazy to put different cells (1800 vs 2000 vs 2200 mAh) in the batteries.
if you put brand new 2200 mAh's (not mixed 1800 and 2000 and 2200) into them they should last just fine.

btw, it was 15$ to ship four 2400 mAh's from batteryspace to hungary, last year

chazco - 2006-10-02 6:21 PM

How about organising another group order (like your 2000 Mah one), but for the 2600Mah? I'm sure there would be a few takers (me included).

yes i would be a taker as long as my cc through paypal is accepted.

Edited by cmonex 2006-10-02 2:05 PM
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-10-02 3:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I know it isn't my fault, the darn thing was tested fully. Something has caused the cell degradation though, and I don't like a mystery I can't solve. I agree on the cell mixture on Ceya's device, if nothing else it's just limiting the current to that of the the lower level cell, and is going to have a HUGE impact upon charge cycles and priming. However Chazco's and our ones don't have that problem, they're all the same Samsung batch. Now if they were dodgy Sony cells
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-10-02 3:52 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, if it were me I'd be asking the shipper to provide the package's itinerary in detail - every excursion and every stop along the way from your door to chazco's. Maybe they subjected it to excessive heat or moisture, or some other discomfort. After hearing wallythacker's sad tales of his experiences with United Parcel Service, I've become a cynic about couriers - especially private ones.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-10-02 4:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It was shipped over-night by Royal Mail
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-02 5:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek i really doubt it was a problem with the postal service

batteries: mm my theory isn't any good then, well i hoped it would because then we'd not have to worry.

maybe they were just sitting discharged for too long.

the jornada batts have sony cells.

Edited by cmonex 2006-10-02 5:46 PM
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-10-03 12:07 AM
#
H/PC Elite

It is a sad, sad day, my G138 computer doesn't come on. I emailed the people who gave me great support at smart Book.I hope I can send it back to be fixed.

My wifi card has died to due to my bag falling to the ground. What else can happen?

S/F,
CEYA!
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-10-03 2:31 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2006-10-02 2:44 PM

CE Geek i really doubt it was a problem with the postal service

You're probably right, cmonex, but I'd want to check out every possibility if I could.

cmonex - 2006-10-02 2:44 PM
the jornada batts have sony cells.

Oh, goody.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-03 4:46 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Ceya - 2006-10-03 6:07 AM

It is a sad, sad day, my G138 computer doesn't come on. I emailed the people who gave me great support at smart Book.I hope I can send it back to be fixed.

My wifi card has died to due to my bag falling to the ground. What else can happen?

S/F,
CEYA!

really sad to hear that
hope it wasn't my jinx
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-10-03 6:49 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Can batteries catch a virus? lol
All this bad battery news at the moment, exploding Sony's, mismatched cells, dead or nearly dead battery packs.

Bring on cold fusion!

Ceya, please let us know what Book Digital say (if anything).

EDIT: The situation is getting worse: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/buyer/news/94952/sony-recalls-laptop-batteri... ell have expanded the recall to another 100,000 units and Sony are telling everyone to start recall's. Ouch.
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-10-03 12:56 PM
#
Can anyone give me any advice for the coming days. I need to use my Smartbook, but the second i remove the mains it hard-resets. How can i maintain network settings and Textmaker? I've installed everything else i can to compact flash, but these are tricky to work. (TM2006 wont install onto compact flash yet, or at least not on HPC)
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-03 1:00 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

if the problem is temporary.. well use a trial version of one of the backup software i listed (or find someone with a cc), that sounds the easiest solution so far.
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-10-03 3:32 PM
#
I hope to get it fixed soon, but cant until C:Amie lets me know if he has any cells (and if not it will take even longer). Do the backup applications work from compact flash (e.g no on-device settings at all)?
tyronedebrun
tyronedebrun Page Icon Posted 2006-10-05 9:07 AM
#
hello from ireland...I thought i might find out how to fix my battery and have read all 14 pages and am still no clearer, I have no expertise in this field and was hoping to find where to buy batterys and take it somewhere to be fixed any 1 know where i might buy or what battery to google for ? thankstyronedebrun@hotmail.com
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-05 9:31 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

well, two 18650 cells from batteryspace.com and good soldering expertise is what is needed.

Edited by cmonex 2006-10-05 9:34 AM
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-05 9:32 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

chazco - 2006-10-03 9:32 PM

I hope to get it fixed soon, but cant until C:Amie lets me know if he has any cells (and if not it will take even longer). Do the backup applications work from compact flash (e.g no on-device settings at all)?

yeah or worst case, reinstall backup app before doing the restore
« Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.312 - Cached queries : 52 - Executed queries : 26