x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: Book Digital Co. SmartBook G138 (Flashback)

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next »
Frozen
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-10-05 4:16 PM
#
Any news C:Amie?
 Top of the page Quote Reply
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-10-07 5:52 PM
#
H/PC Elder

chazco - 2006-10-03 12:32 PM
Do the backup applications work from compact flash (e.g no on-device settings at all)?

EzBackup works for me. Just put the cab on CF and make it read-only. It can be installed quickly and easily. However a full-system restore takes quite a bit of time. Try to limit the number of files, and if possible don't restore the database.

I am just as confused about the battery problem that some of you are experiencing. When I used to use mine everyday, the charge always went over 90%. There was one point after I haven't used it for a while, the max charge dropped to below 70%. However after a complete discharge (left dead for a week or more), it could be charged up like before again. So it was never a serious problem for me.
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-10-08 8:09 AM
#
H/PC Elite

takwu - 2006-10-07 5:52 PM

chazco - 2006-10-03 12:32 PM
Do the backup applications work from compact flash (e.g no on-device settings at all)?

I am just as confused about the battery problem that some of you are experiencing.

When I used to use mine everyday, the charge always went over 90%. There was one point after I haven't used it for a while, the max charge dropped to below 70%.

However after a complete discharge (left dead for a week or more), it could be charged up like before again. So it was never a serious problem for me.

Taku,

Thank for reinforcing what I have been trying to explain to do with the battery.

S/F,
CEYA!
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-10-08 9:04 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If there are a batch of people here who want new batteries, i.e. Chazco, tyronedebrun if you want yours done I'll do it, and anyone elses too.

I'll need the dead battery of course.

I can re-order and have them express shipped. When I put up a thread in hpcBay a few weeks ago, no one realy seemed interested.

Chazco, are you still having issues with AS backup?
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-10-08 11:39 AM
#
Thank for reinforcing what I have been trying to explain to do with the battery.

I understood what you said, but it didnt work...

Chazco, are you still having issues with AS backup?

Yep, couldnt get it to go no matter what i did. Looking into that ezBackup application though.

If there are a batch of people here who want new batteries, i.e. Chazco, tyronedebrun if you want yours done I'll do it, and anyone elses too. I'll need the dead battery of course. I can re-order and have them express shipped.

How about a one-off hpcBay poll, to gauge interest? I'd definatly go for the 2600Mahs. Apart from the power problems my Smartbook does everything i want. I have unlimited-pay-per-day gprs which is excellent, a html editor, web-browser and can almost certainly find a suitable FTP application. The battery is the only down-side.
eax
eax Page Icon Posted 2006-10-09 1:53 PM
#
Hello everybody, I'm new in here.
Looks like my batteries are dead too since my g138 doesn't even turn on but works fine on external power, so I need to change them.
Batteries are ICR 18650 3.6 v, and as I got from the other messages I can use 2000, 2200 and 2400 mAh.
Now from the pics attached I can see the two batteries held together with tape; now my question, is the tape enough or I need to solder them?
And every time I turn off my device it hard resets, I hope that is related to the dead batteries and not something else...
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-10-10 3:09 AM
#
C:Amie might be organsing a group order of 2600Mah if we get enough people interested...

And every time I turn off my device it hard resets, I hope that is related to the dead batteries and not something else...

Mine does that. If the batteries are dead (as in fully dead) it will hard-reset when disconnected from the mains.
eax
eax Page Icon Posted 2006-10-10 5:30 AM
#

Mine does that. If the batteries are dead (as in fully dead) it will hard-reset when disconnected from the mains.

good to know that, I was afraid something else could be damaged...
Are you going to change your battery pack?
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-10 6:03 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

eax - 2006-10-09 7:53 PM

Hello everybody, I'm new in here.
Looks like my batteries are dead too since my g138 doesn't even turn on but works fine on external power, so I need to change them.
Batteries are ICR 18650 3.6 v, and as I got from the other messages I can use 2000, 2200 and 2400 mAh.
Now from the pics attached I can see the two batteries held together with tape; now my question, is the tape enough or I need to solder them?

sorry, but you have to solder, and need to be very careful.

yes the hard resets are definitely due to the dead battery, because the smartbook has no backup battery.
eax
eax Page Icon Posted 2006-10-10 6:58 AM
#
I really can't solder...
so I have to dissassemble the device, unplug the battery pack and look for somebody who can do that...
Have someone taken any pic of the open battery pack?

Edited by eax 2006-10-10 6:59 AM
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-10-10 12:38 PM
#
Are you going to change your battery pack?

If i can obtain the cells, but it wont be me personally changing the pack.
eax
eax Page Icon Posted 2006-10-10 5:34 PM
#
you can easily find the cells on ebay
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-10-10 6:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

eax - 2006-10-10 12:58 PM

I really can't solder...
so I have to dissassemble the device, unplug the battery pack and look for somebody who can do that...
Have someone taken any pic of the open battery pack?

yes, read back in this thread to get the pics.

the above is what i did when i wanted to put 2400 mAh cells in my jornada batts. i can't solder either and i warn everyone not to start practicing on a delicate li-ion battery that is ready to explode
eax
eax Page Icon Posted 2006-10-11 5:54 AM
#
cmonex - 2006-10-10 6:34 PM
i can't solder either and i warn everyone not to start practicing on a delicate li-ion battery that is ready to explode

I will definitely leave it to someone else lol

I already saw the previous pics, I wonder if someone took the pics of the open battery pack so I could see the solder points.

Edited by eax 2006-10-11 6:06 AM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-10-11 7:44 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

chazco, I wonder what's causing that AS issue. One to look into.

I'm not interested in whether people may speculatively, tentitively, perhaps, may be, possibly want battery cells. I either want enough people to come to me and say Chris, I want cell(s) and give a solid comitment to it, or it wont happen.

It doesn't just have to be for G138's the 18650's work in a large number of other H/PC's.

The trouble with using eBay is that you buy them in small numbers and pay a huge price for the shipping. I worked out that if I'd got my last set order from eBay, I'd have paid around about £900 for £250's worth of batteries.

If the cells are tabbed then the soulder points are between cells 1 and 2 and onto each end of the charge circuit.
« Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9