x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: Book Digital Co. SmartBook G138 (Flashback)

[Frozen]
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Next »
Frozen
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-25 5:33 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yup confusing, i never tried the 5 seconds power off.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-25 6:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, the Intermec 6651 power-off is kinda like that - you have to hold the power button for about two seconds.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-25 7:10 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

not so on the smartbook.
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-08-25 11:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

This "power off" sounds like a battery-off feature. You know, so it doesn't drain the battery to keep RAM alive. The "side-effect" is of course a hard reset - which is fine as long as you have a backup of the system on your CF card. If that's true, that feature would make sense for me... maybe even prevent me from selling it. Must try...
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-26 12:06 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

lol, it does make sense as the battery is internal.
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-08-26 8:37 AM
#
Ok, i see. C:Amie, could you post photos of how to change the battery for future reference?
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-08-26 11:33 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Cmonex, Can you post pics of the battery I sent you aqwhile back since I don't know how to post pics.

The battery in real world wifi applications is about 2-3 hrs.

The 5 second power off is how I shut it down.

The calibration screen is cool with its 9 points calibration.

The case is too soft to use as it makes impressions of the computer over time.

Battery type below.
http://www.samsungsdi.com/contents/en/product/battery/type01_ICR18650_20.html

It takes two of them. there is the circut board on top help by adheasive taps, all connecting tabs all are held by adheasive and tape. I see nothing solidered. It is all covered in thing black plastic.

I took mine to a Japanese shop that specializes in small laptops and my battery case was changed in about 15 mins. Smart Book in China sent me a new one. I have the batteries to replace on the old one when my present ones go dead.

It is prone to scratches but not as bad as I thought.

The mouse and tabs for left and right clicks are ok as I use them alot.

Since getting my new batteries in about 6 months (3months of hard everyday use) life for the battery is 64 % now. Charging for me is 3 hrs for completely dead batteries.

Sound is wonderful and loud like the 6651 but I have know knowledge on how to use the internal mic for recording.

I have yet use my head phones/mic combo.

My AC adapter is from my old Japanese model Hitachi lap top. It works well.

Yes you cannot see LED lights when case is closed but it is bright the it can be seen if you tilt the computer up.

Contrast scroll knobs are cool.

Overall I like it alot but I wish it had USB connection like the MP900/900c.

S/F,
CEYA!

Edited by Ceya 2006-08-26 11:35 AM
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-26 12:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-08-27 3:54 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I tried to push the power button for over 10 seconds and nothing happened - it just did the normal suspend when I released it. Can anyone explain... I have 4.2 installed, so does it only work in 4.1?

Ceya does it really hard reset if you do the 5 sec shutdown? You know I was only guessing.
theodouma Page Icon Posted 2006-08-27 3:34 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

While reading this topic I have been thinking or I should buy a G138 as replacement of my 6651 wich has a broken batterie.
I have a 6651, works perfectly, only the battery is dead. Even after replacing the cells in it the battery won't work, so the electronics in the battery or in the 6651 are dead. That;s why I'm looking for another working handheld.

For me a good handheld must have the folowing things:
-a screen like the 6651, 800 x 480 65K color touchscreen max 7"
-slot for memory card for My Documents, backups and music
-PCMCIA slot (or a cf slot, I use the most of the time a pcmcia-cf adapter for wlan. Sometimes I use "real"pcmcia cards)
- Win CE3.0 or higher, english or dutch language
- good working battery
- usb host function for usb memorystick, mouse and usb HD.
- nice sound, better thand the J720's sound, 3.5mm headphone slot
- handheld must be fast enough to work on normaly

The 6651 has all these points, and even more. The usb host is made with some hacks, but it works, and I can use a usb HD, usb stick and a mouse (even at the same time using a usb hub). Only the 129 Mhz is not fast enough to watch a movie full screen. Also the internetExplorer is a bit slow... Except these two points the 6651 is fast enough for me.

If I look to the G138, it doesn't have a usb host function and no PCMCIA slot, however the missing of the PCMCIA slot is compremized with the hughe internal memory. It also has the newer .NET OS and a lot of internal memory. It aslo has a GPRS modem and the device can be use as a GSM. I don't think I use that function, if I want to call someone, using a normal phone is easyer
The G138 global preforms 30% better* than the 6651. Surfing the internet is going a lot faser on a G138.

* 6651 scores 333 points, G138 scores in this test 431 points, so that's 30% more.

If I look to the 6651 and the G138, the 6651 has all I need. However, the G138 is more powerful and has a better and newer OS. It doesn't have usb and pcmcia.

I only have money to buy one handheld (I'm a student, and I don't have the money to pay my study and two handhelds)
I don't know witch I have to buy. The 6651 fits all my needs and is cheaper than the G138, but it has a old OS. The G138 has the newer OS, is faster an has GPRS, but doesnt has PCMCIA and a USB host function.

So, whitch device should I buy? the 6651, the G138, or even someting else?
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-27 6:47 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i have both, Ceya has both, i know Ceya uses the intermecs more. i don't know.. i like both. the 6651 battery life is just so much better &hardware features, the G138 has a much better OS (for me) on the intermec, don't dream of more or less comfortably loading two pages in IE at the same time (somehow the ARM in the J728 can cope), the G138 just laughs and loads three easily.

Edited by cmonex 2006-08-27 6:50 PM
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-08-27 8:38 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, the 6651 is not that bad with two pages in IE. For me that only seems to slow it down a little.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-27 9:36 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i mean loading two pages at the same time.

also cenet has spoiled me
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-08-28 12:32 PM
#
About the missing '\'. It seems that the German models have that button (see http://www.worldofi.de/HWTests/Pics/dbook/maus.jpg ). Perhaps they just forgot it on the English one...
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-08-29 12:04 AM
#
H/PC Elite

No hard reset, it just goes off or powers off.

S/F,
CEYA!
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 52 - Executed queries : 27