x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: Book Digital Co. SmartBook G138 (Flashback)

[Frozen]
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Next »
Frozen
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-08-30 4:59 PM
#
Hopefully C:Amie will be mailing mine soon, so any useful tips/tricks that are specific to this device that i should know (i know about the diagnostics application)?

I've been looking at some Japanese/Chinese documentation about this device and its variants. A few people have suggested that their are USB host pins on the inside. Anyone seen inside one who could confirm/disprove this? If they are present then internal bluetooth/wifi may be possible.

Edited by chazco 2006-08-30 5:00 PM
 Top of the page Quote Reply
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-08-31 5:19 AM
#
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/45874

When translated (badly) via Google i found this...

The 7-Zoll-TFT-Display represents 800 × 480 pixels with 16 bits depth of shade and works despite the presented Touchscreen matrix very brightly and has a good view range. To the VGA interface a Beamer* can be attached, however the equipment supports so far only the dissolution** of the own screen. At further interfaces the equipment Ethernet has 10/100 MBit, IrDA, Host-USB1.1 and Client USB 1,1 (Sync haven). Into the extension plumb bob*** CompactFlash II modules fit. A close radio engineering such as WLAN or Bluetooth is missing. For the river a changeable lithium ion Akku provides.

Host and Client USB... The site is normally very reliable, which makes this even more interesting.

* - I'm guessing this should be projector.
** - Resolution?
*** - You tell me
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-08-31 6:41 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Beamer is indeed what the Germans call projector. It's very confusing when you're offered a beemer for the first time when in germany - I thought I was getting a complimentary BMW or something...

Host USB is really not there in external interfaces, and I doubt it's in there: the SA1100 doesn't support USB host functionality natively (the 270 does IIRC), and the MediaQ graphics adaptor doesn't either, but if it's a Hitachi Tahoe board that's in there rather than just the graphics chip, it'll include the HD64465 chip which does provide USB host functionality...
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-31 7:07 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Ceya,
See http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=136 for information on adding attachments.

chazco,
It is the English British keyboard which lacks the \ key, the US version has it.

I fiddled with the power button "5 second" statement when I first got the device. I had to conclude that it is probably something from a previous ROM build because I cannot see any obvious changes in the external state of the device from holding the button in for the time and then relasing it. It's not an ACPI enabled device, so it wouldn't/shouldn't be respoinding as one would expect a PC.
As far as I am concerned, the only way that this could be initiating any changes are on an unobservable level in the battery circuitry; the only way to bench that is do let it discharge while off in a "5 second" state and then discharge while off in a normal state.
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-09-01 7:25 AM
#
I've got mine now but cant get GPRS to connect. It sits there on "Opening port...". iPhone comes up and says "Checking status of GPRS..." and eventually tells me that the port is unavailable. Any ideas?
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-09-01 9:21 AM
#
Found out why. The default connection doesnt save changes to the APN, created a new connection and it works fine

So, my opinions... After travelling back in time via the Royal Mail the device arrived packaged very well. Device is in excellent condition (i thought the screen was scratched but theres a cover over it), and everything seems to work. The screen is impressive, surpassing the Jornada by miles and even giving a better experience than the iPaq. Very fast despite the slow processer. The navigation pad is brilliant, allowing single handed use of the device (you push down on the pad to click, push and hold to right click). GPRS module seems to work, no lines appear on the screen even on minimum setting. For some reason the batteries stop charging (or say they have) at 87%. All in all, its an excellent little device, thanks C:Amie

Edited by chazco 2006-09-01 9:33 AM
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-01 3:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

chazco, this is strange, it saved my APN just fine, i didn't need to create a new connection

oh you got a good device regarding gprs.. you're so lucky....!
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-09-01 3:05 PM
#
H/PC Elite

batteries of the G138 pics. let see if it works
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-09-01 3:08 PM
#

oh you got a good device regarding gprs.. you're so lucky....!

Its a good job too, its going to be my main use for the device. All i need now is some way of monitoring how much i have transferred in a session (any connection monitor should do since its just a standard connection). Signal strength readings would be nice.
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-09-01 3:18 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Will post more pics. looking for them now.

S/F,
CEYA!
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-09-01 4:44 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Here are mine, the centre one is in a similar state to Ceya's, the two at the side are shrink wrapped.

takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-09-02 2:09 AM
#
H/PC Elder

chazzo, about that webpage, it's possible that the writer has confused between the two units in the same article. The G138 clamshell does not have USB Host, but the G168A tablet indeed does, thru the port replicator.

BTW I have no luck yet to find a G168A, if anyone sees one for sale, and it has English ROM, call me using the red phone
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-09-02 2:29 AM
#
Well, i've used it for about a day and can say i'm very impressed.

The only problems with the device would be the:
- Poor GPRS utility. All you can do is turn it on/off.
- Lack of Pocket Access/Excel, while not Smartbook specific, and lack of an included alternative, is a bit disappointing
- Lack of multiple resolution support for use with the VGA port

Apart from that its a great unit.

Edited by chazco 2006-09-02 2:36 AM
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-09-02 3:15 AM
#
Forgot to ask, can someone report what the diagnostics tool says their battery statistics are (i think it gives voltage and aperage) when fully charged? I think the battery meter may be uncalibrated.

I'm getting 8.221v at -559mA. The negative is a bit confusing. Does this seem ok?

Edited by chazco 2006-09-02 3:19 AM
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-09-02 11:26 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

chazco - 2006-09-02 9:15 AM

Forgot to ask, can someone report what the diagnostics tool says their battery statistics are (i think it gives voltage and aperage) when fully charged? I think the battery meter may be uncalibrated.

I'm getting 8.221v at -559mA. The negative is a bit confusing. Does this seem ok?

yup it is always negative.

no wait i ran testhw now and it is in the positive as im charging it up.. thats my guess

oh and it reports 7.702 volts for 13% i guess it spares some capacity so that it doesnt hard reset immediately when fully discharged

Edited by cmonex 2006-09-02 11:28 AM
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.324 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 30