x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Toshiba 5Gb PCMCIA Drive, Jornada 720?

wd8dky Page Icon Posted 2005-02-10 8:45 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello again. Has anyone succesfully used a Toshiba MK5002MPL 5Gb PCMCIA hard drive in their 720? I don't want to buy a paper weight, if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

Paul
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-10 10:14 AM
#
H/PC Elder

wd8dky - 2005-02-10 6:45 AM

Hello again. Has anyone succesfully used a Toshiba MK5002MPL 5Gb PCMCIA hard drive in their 720? I don't want to buy a paper weight, if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

Paul

I think there are folks who went successfully with a 4GB CF card. Not sure about a 5GB card or harddrive for that matter. But I reckon it should work.

And its not a paper weight, its a expensive metallic paper weight that happens to spin internally faster than a car engine does and makes cute whirling sound too!!

Sorry ... couldn't help it ... hehe

Edited by Snappy! 2005-02-10 10:15 AM
 Top of the page
AKG Page Icon Posted 2005-02-12 5:19 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I remembered HCL(Hardware Compatibilty List) says it's OK for HPC2K
I've been using a 2GB PCMCIA Drive(Toshiba MK2001MPL) for a while
My friend whose Jornada 720 works fine with 2GB Card
Won't the shop give your 720 a try with 5GB Card?
 Top of the page
BANE
BANE Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 9:17 PM
#
Hey mate, I can tell you for a fact that the Toshiba Mk5002MPL 5gb hd works perfectly with the 720, as I have one. It's flippin marvellous!

.....IB a n e
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-03-12 11:21 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

BANE - 2005-03-12 9:17 PM

Hey mate, I can tell you for a fact that the Toshiba Mk5002MPL 5gb hd works perfectly with the 720, as I have one. It's flippin marvellous!

.....IB a n e

Does it adversely affect battery life at all, more so than a CF card? How does your Read/Write performance compare to CF cards, do you know? Thanks,

Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2005-03-13 12:24 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

Paul,

The Toshiba 5GB drive is on the HPC:Factor HCL and works just fine with the 720. However, be aware it does cut down some hours on your battery with regular use. Fortunately Toshiba is very battery concious on their drives so it isn't dramatic (9 hours versus 1 1/2 hours or something along those lines).

Regards,
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-13 12:30 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The drive controller has a dual voltage switch in it (so 5V and 3.3V). The peak voltage seems to be 1.3v for seek and read/write operations. Idling is 0.5v with stand by and suspended being half and then half again almost.

Seek time on the Tosiba ones is 15ms, over CF which has nanosecond seek times. The bus speed off of the Toshiba disks is listed as UDMA66, however when running over ATA it will be restriced to the same limits as the CF specification

Given the CF specifications speed is around 16, you're looking at 16.6
 Top of the page
BANE
BANE Page Icon Posted 2005-03-13 12:39 PM
#
Hey, well I am unsure of specifice. things save pretty quick to it, And it does stop 'spinning' after a few minutes if it's not in use, so it does try to presearve battery where possible. One example, I have gotten 3 hours solid music play, the songs saved on the HD but I switch of the screen, and I still have bttery left. perhaps I can get more. I'll keep you all posted.

BTW I have just purchased an ACCURITE travel 120 floppy drive for my jornada. Now it's an american unit, so I would have to buy a transformer over here to run it. I have been told the PCMCIA slot on a laptop would power it, but the jornada won't. BUT if I had the jornada plugged into the mains, you the disk drive run then!? It would just save me forking out £20 on a step down 240v-110v transformer.

Thanx,

....IB a n e
 Top of the page
Sedat
Sedat Page Icon Posted 2005-04-16 3:20 PM
#
Hello !!
How much do you pay for a Sandisk 1.2Gb ATA Flash card ?
you can mail to me.
tonilafayette@hotmail.com
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 11