x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

White Icon Text on720, for Use on Dark Wallpapers?

1 2 3 4 5
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-16 6:26 PM
#
H/PC Elder

ok ... more good news ... here's the link to the SQ homepage:

SQ homepage

The original site is in Japanese ... so I got it through the babble translate, and the URL is LOOOOONG!!

And the link for the jpg plugins:

SQ JPG plugins
 Top of the page
willdao Page Icon Posted 2005-02-16 6:34 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Snappy!,

You're the greatest. I got the three plugins you mentioned for the picture files--but a note for anyone who tries to download the middle GQ file (that mentions H/PC compatibility), the compressed file is corrupted. Use the third option, "gqp040716.zip."

This gives options for all processors.

ALSO: how do you get SQ to launch on startup? I mean, is there a "startup" folder, like in 32-bit Windows? Thanks!

Now, I'm a gonna go play!
 Top of the page
willdao Page Icon Posted 2005-02-16 6:54 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

O. K. Snappy!, dumb question:

What do I DO with the plugins now that I have 'em--e.g. the .jpg, .png, .gif plugins?

THX
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-16 7:41 PM
#
H/PC Elder

willdao - 2005-02-16 4:34 PM

Snappy!,

You're the greatest. I got the three plugins you mentioned for the picture files--but a note for anyone who tries to download the middle GQ file (that mentions H/PC compatibility), the compressed file is corrupted. Use the third option, "gqp040716.zip."

This gives options for all processors.

*blush* ...

willdao - 2005-02-16 4:34 PM

ALSO: how do you get SQ to launch on startup? I mean, is there a "startup" folder, like in 32-bit Windows? Thanks!

Now, I'm a gonna go play!

Yes, look under \Windows directory, startup.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-16 7:43 PM
#
H/PC Elder

willdao - 2005-02-16 4:54 PM

O. K. Snappy!, dumb question:

What do I DO with the plugins now that I have 'em--e.g. the .jpg, .png, .gif plugins?

THX

Someone once said ... "No Question is dumb!" May I add ... "Its dumb not to ask the question!" ...

You put the plugins in the same folder as SQ.exe
 Top of the page
willdao Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 3:53 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Well, I'm not sure how I got here, precisely...

But, here I am. The white text on my icons looked great while it lasted on this SQ skin...but something got snafu'd in SQ (anyone know what?) In any event, with the small icons and no text, I LIKE IT! It's a keeper...as long as it lasts!

(display_2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments display_2.jpg (58KB - 50 downloads)
 Top of the page
willdao Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 4:12 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I also set up folder "2" with nothing in it...sometimes when I'm thinking/writting, I like to limit distractions and just meditate. The repeating pattern of the wallpaper facilitates that with nothing else on the screen. I downloaded a ton of other cool papers, too--all with similar deep blue/gray color schemes, that either exactly match the Jornada's case or complement it perfectly. If that gets too somber, with a click, I'm back to the sunny desktop wallpaper...suits me for the moment. I really like the SQ taskbar additions, too. Functional, and they "modernize" the look of the desktop...er..."handtop." I'll be working on skinning the taskbar, next.

Any other cool ideas out there?

Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 6:10 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Congrats!

It's nice having such an App doesn't it? Makes the HPC more PDA like than PC like ...
 Top of the page
willdao Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 8:45 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Yep!

And, I thank you and C:Amie for the tips.

You know, though, I STILL don't know what I did to make the icons appear with no text. They don't look like that (bare icons) in the "1" folder or the programs filder they're derived from. There aren't any settings in SQ that dictate this look. When I select the large icons, they're all jumbled one on top of each other in a big mess, in that same space they're using now, to the left, also with no text; only when I select small icons do they unfold and become readable. What's causing this? Is it a bug, or a feature?!

I had real trouble configuring the prog. to even display wallpaper. I tried your advice to create a "backup" folder in the same directory as the SQ executable. No dice. Finally, I had to remove everything from my storage card, install it literally in the startup folder, and then put my wallpaper in there with it. The plugins are in there, too. Just "loose" in the startup folder, along with the .jpg pwallaper, the sq.ini and the sq.exe. I get error msgs on soft reboot, that the plugins and the .exe are invalid...but, after I click through these, the shell loads. And looks like the above capture.

I have no clue what's going on, but I do know this is the only way I can even get the program to load the background image at all.

I'm using SQ v. 4.10. I tried to download the latest v. 4.24, but winrar reoprted the files as corrupted on unpacking.

So, I don't know exactly what I'm telling, here.

If you or anyone has any insight into what's going on, that'd be great! It's a puzzler.

While I LIKE the look, I'd also like to know just what's going on!
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 8:54 AM
#
H/PC Elder

On the setup->launcher dialog, there is "small icon" checkbox to give you the small icon. The Item size setting will determin how much space each launch entry really take up.

Below is a screenshot I made with Small Icon checked and Item size set to 16x16.

(ScrSnap004.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ScrSnap004.JPG (18KB - 24 downloads)
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 8:58 AM
#
H/PC Elder

willdao - 2005-02-17 6:45 AM

I had real trouble configuring the prog. to even display wallpaper. I tried your advice to create a "backup" folder in the same directory as the SQ executable. No dice. Finally, I had to remove everything from my storage card, install it literally in the startup folder, and then put my wallpaper in there with it. The plugins are in there, too. Just "loose" in the startup folder, along with the .jpg pwallaper, the sq.ini and the sq.exe. I get error msgs on soft reboot, that the plugins and the .exe are invalid...but, after I click through these, the shell loads. And looks like the above capture.

I have no clue what's going on, but I do know this is the only way I can even get the program to load the background image at all.

I'm using SQ v. 4.10. I tried to download the latest v. 4.24, but winrar reoprted the files as corrupted on unpacking.

So, I don't know exactly what I'm telling, here.

If you or anyone has any insight into what's going on, that'd be great! It's a puzzler.

While I LIKE the look, I'd also like to know just what's going on!

Tell me you are not putting SQ.exe in the startup folder! SQ.exe will only read the plugins, background from folders that are relative to where it loads up. You would want to put sq.exe in a app directory (eg \Storage Card2\App\SQ\SQ.EXE) and create a shortcut to it in \windows\startup folder. If you are not already doing that.
 Top of the page
willdao Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 2:50 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Snappy!,

I've tried exactly your method, but the shortcut to SQ on the Storage Card won't hook. When I soft boot, I get the normal "Do you want to use a PC card on battery power" query, then the Jornada splash screen. When I click through the Splash screen, I get an error that the machine couldn't run SQ.exe, and to check that the paths and libraries are all in order. They are.

STRANGELY: When I go to Windows\StartUp directly and click on the shortcut to SQ.exe on my storage card, it loads fine. So, something in the soft boot sequence is interfering with SQ's loading...

(NOTE: Initially, I just put everything directly in startup just to get the thing running at all...trying to diagnose various gremlins, which I've since put right, except for this last one...)

Any clue?

Also, any way to get the recycle bin on the SQ "desktop?"

Thanks, again, for your help. Couldna done it without ya!

Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-17 7:46 PM
#
H/PC Elder

ok ... tricky tricky ... I just boot up my NetBSD with Dillo running ... so I cannot verify the startup shortcutlink ...

But you can go to the setup dialog for SQ ... go to the 2nd last tab ... disable the "Warn PCCARD" or something .... this will remove the annoying nag screen when you insert in pccards or CF cards with battery inserted. Doing this also allows the drivers to be loaded fast enough so that when the links or files in \windows\startup is processed, the cf card's drivers are already loaded and active.

Sometimes when I soft-reset my MP790, the sequence goes off and the cf is not active fast enough. So I have another shortcut on the main winCE desktop to run it manually should the CF driver loading sequence act up.

Nothing much we can do about it here though ...
 Top of the page
willdao Page Icon Posted 2005-02-18 2:25 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Yeah, I fiddled with the various settings for the PC Card notification. Doesn't seem to have an effect on loading SQ properly from startup. Does remove the nag screen

(So, what's a minor inconvenience?!)

All in all, I'm really, REALLY happy with the way my Jornada is looking--and functioning--compared to a week ago which seems like eons! Thanks to you guys.

Thanks for your advice/help, and I hope others, maybe just lurking, decide to join and experiment and pass along what they learn. I'll sure do it. I joined a yahoo group the other day, and while most of the recent activity seems to be Sig 3-oriented (talk about a Japanese transliteration nightmare!), maybe I'll learn some new things to share here.

As H/PCs continue to drop in price (Ebay is your friend!), yet dedicated enthusiasts as here and elswwhere refuse to give up on the form factor, hopefully we'll see some new products re-exploring this market, and see it grow from a niche to a full-blown sector. (Hp's been dropping hints to test the waters, as I'm sure folks know.)

Meanwhile, we have the biggest bang-for-the-buck going!

This is all I've got on this topic...lemme post one last screenshot...yeah, I know, I wanted dark and mysterious--and I've got a couple of those--but on dreary days, ya want something upbeat, right? (Notice the analog clock positioned over one of the "m"s...)

Thanks, all! , esp. Snappy!!!! for coming back for more of my Qs!

Edited by willdao 2005-02-18 2:34 PM

(display_4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments display_4.jpg (55KB - 37 downloads)
 Top of the page
willdao Page Icon Posted 2005-02-18 2:31 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

There's a conspicuous lack of "m" on the blue one...I think it's fake...
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.343 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 32