x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Recomended H/PC running H/PC 2000

Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-02-14 12:10 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi,

What Handheld PC running Handheld PC 2000 Would you recommend? I plan to update my LG Phenom running Windows CE 2.

Nick
 Top of the page
BruceHungerford
BruceHungerford Page Icon Posted 2005-02-14 1:32 PM
#
I rather expect this is a minority opinion, but I personally recommend the MobilePro '890' -- an 880 upgraded with a MP790 ROM to have the HPC 2000 OS and software. With the possible exception of the Sigmarion III -- a Japanese Winows.NET device -- it is the only unit that meets my requirements for a large (800 x 600) screen, good keyboard, and compact size/weight. If you are interested, there are several threads on the PocketPC Magazine NEC forum discussing the conversion. And, of course, I will be glad to provide my help.

A more mainstream solution would be the MobilePro 790. The keyboard is the same and the unit itself is slightly smaller. The downside is that the screen is only 640 x 240.

Good units of both the 790 and the 880 are frequently available on eBay for $100-$200.

Probably the other major contender would be one of the Jornada 720s. I have never owned one of these, but have had access to my brother-in-law's. I found the keyboard and screen too small but it is more 'pocketable'.

Hope this helps.
Bruce
MP890 Evangelist
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-02-14 2:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Opinions are like....well, everyone has one. Including me!

Seems to me that if you want to keep the same size and screen format, then your only choice is the Jornada 720/728.

If you want a larger screen/keyboard, then your options may include the Mobilepro 790 or 900.

If you wanted a full VGA screen, then the hybrid 880 might work for you.

Personally, I liked the Intermec 6651. It has a full SVGA TFT screen, runs HPC 2000, and has a comparable keyboard to what you already have.

Rich
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-14 2:04 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Going from a Phenom, you're already a HVGA user, so chances are your needs aren't that of a VGA / SVGA subnote user.

I personally would go for a Jornada 700 series, mainly the 700 over the MobilePro 700 series because of the Joranda's SA1110 CPU. There is more software readily available for the ARM chip than the MIPS, plus all PPC apps are ARM as well these days, so there is cross over potential.

That of the MobilePro 900 which is a PXA250 CPU - a hybrid of the SA1110.

If you do want th larger screen afforded by a subnote, then the Psion NetBook Pro or the Intermec 6651 may also fit the order.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-14 2:08 PM
#
H/PC Elder

If you are not doing much web surfing, I would recommend a MP790 for its screen-size and keyboard. Its DSTN screen leaves much to be desired though its size is nice and is rather usable indoors.

If you are intending to do more with web surfing, I would strongly recommend a SigIII as it has an updated browser and more beef in its processor.

For MP880 or 890 ... I would suggest instead to look for a Vadem CLIO 1050. Its specs are almost 1-1 with the MP880, but its not *upgradeable* to CE3.0. However it has the tri-mode, notebook, tablet and easel mode with its cleverly designed hinge. I have not tried one before, but have read raving reviews from users on it.

Too bad, the Clio's price is on the upside in eBay ... goes around $200~$300. For that price, you can sometimes get a MP900 on the $300 end. With the MP900, you can get a $150 upgrade to CE.NET4.2!! ... of cos that would not be your scope since its not HPC2000. But it means a few months down the road, you know you have an upgrade path open.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-14 6:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Don't forget the itty bitty fact that the Sigmarion III is made by Japanese telco NTT Do Co Mo, is nativly Japanese and has to be imported
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-14 8:14 PM
#
H/PC Elder

oh ya ... that's true! if only I went on to take intermediate Jap ... *grrr* ... then I could use the Sigmarion III natively ... then again, I need to have one to start off with ...
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-02-16 1:02 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Think I will go for a Jornada 720. Easier to get hold of in the UK rather than the others

Nick
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-16 1:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There is also the 710 (no modem) which you can get cheaper than the 720.
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 5:06 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I've now got a Jornada 720, and realy pleased with it. Thanks for all your help

Nick
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-27 6:15 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Nick, welcome to the HPC Club!
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-03-01 6:18 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Thanks Snappy!

Nick
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-03-06 10:49 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hi, Nick. I had a Jornada 720 before and while I was very happy with it, I thought it was very slow with some applications, applications that I find vital for me (i.e, PlanMaker, TextMaker, Cash Organizer.) Notwithstanding, I was happy with it until it fell and broke to pieces from an altitude too high to permit any recovery. So I bought a NEC MobilePro 900, not the 900C, but the 900 which uses the same OS - Handheld PC 2000.

While the form factor is a little more cumbersome, and the screen is not the best but acceptable, these are small compromises, in my view, in return for (a) a truly touch-typable keyboard; (b) a true USB port; (c) a major major speed improvement over the 720, there is no comparison. Cash Orgnanizer, for example - a backup would take minutes on the 720, many minutes, compared to just a few seconds on the MobilePro.

Would I still upgrade to the MP900 if I still had my 720? Probably not. That being said, am I happy with the paradigm shift? You bet, 100% happier with my MobilePro.

HTH,

Uncle Ben
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-06 1:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Uncle Ben - 2005-03-06 8:49 AM

Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben? Is that you, Obi-Wan?
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-07 5:41 AM
#