x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

JLime - Linux for hp Jornada 620/660/680/690

1 2 3 4 5
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 8:57 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well, I am trying to Understand why someone would want to change from Ce to Jlime? Is the really an Benefits?
Thanks
Chris
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-21 10:45 PM
#
H/PC Elder

For one, it is still open for updates. For two, the updates include possibly dillo, minimo etc ... potentially proper browsers that is not crippled. For 600 series, WinCE is using PIE3.0(1?) while 720s are using PIE4.01, both of which can do with an upgrade. But unfortunately, there is no upgrade path. Hence, JLime ...
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 7:01 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I thought about using Linux on my PC. What stopped me? Will the software I have work? Once I used (Rather attempted) software called "Bleem" supposed to allow me to run Playstation games on a PC. Tried Soviet Strike. Did not run very well.
Chris
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 8:31 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I guess you are right as well, that Linux has its downside in terms of compatibility. Some folks run WINE to get windows app to run on Linux. Most common apps should run ok, though I cannot vouch on that.

I guess the compatibility game is the same throughout. Its a matter of who has mass market. As of now, Linux is still not quite there yet, compared to desktop Windows. But compared to WinCE, esp regards to specific apps like web browsing, Linux wins hands down.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-22 7:13 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

There's always the dual boot.
 Top of the page
Jornada 660lx Page Icon Posted 2005-03-01 8:44 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Can this Linux flavor for J620 be downlowded somewhere?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-02 9:42 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

See the very first post on the first page of this thread...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-02 7:03 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

lol
 Top of the page
Kristoffer Page Icon Posted 2005-04-20 11:35 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Greetings, a small update.

JLime "Shrek" is almost gold/final, we feel that we have a good basesystem (8MB!) and plenty of applications for users to play with (3000+ packages).

Still no luck for Wince=2.00 users though, will fix those things in the next release.

Stop by www.jlime.com and give it a go.

Top of the page
Idoru Page Icon Posted 2005-04-20 12:59 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

WOW! This is a tremendous development, I must say! One of the frustrations of having an older HPC like the Jornada is the lack of modern software. Being able to use modern Linux apps, like MiniMo , will be a godsend. I hope the install guide will give everyone a clear understanding of how to do this upgrade.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-20 8:55 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

why isn't it being developed for the 720/728 also???
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-21 12:21 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Kristoffer - 2005-04-20 9:35 AM

Greetings, a small update.

JLime "Shrek" is almost gold/final, we feel that we have a good basesystem (8MB!) and plenty of applications for users to play with (3000+ packages).

Still no luck for Wince=2.00 users though, will fix those things in the next release.

Stop by www.jlime.com and give it a go.

wow ... goodie ... I just downloaded a build from jlime the other day. ... so I presume I should get the latest build later?

Surprisingly, I'm so comfy using my 680e (now that I got uBook registered and CE-Star registered and working great! Waiting for Tomboroot to add support to display and input Chinese and its "perfect" that I didn't immediately jump at loading jlime into it.

But after this week, I will surely backup my data and do a test-run. I'll post screen shots (using my crappy webcam, unless I can find screencap apps for jlime).
 Top of the page
Kristoffer Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 10:38 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Greetings,

Just wanted you all to know that the first JLime release (Named Shrek) has gone gold, meaning we have decided that it is stable enough for a release. This goes for the basic userland & kernel image, the feed (program packages) will of course continue to be developed. This release of Shrek only supports the 6xx series with wince=2.11.

This also marks a new beginning as we plan adapt our plans to include all Jornadas!
Meaning, In due time there will be a JLime release for additional Jornada platforms, most likely starting with the 7xx series. I still lack a test machine but i belive the packages i have built so far should work, the bootloader is being looked at.

I've heard that familiar already supports the 7xx somewhat.
Our goals differ from familiar in the sense that they are looking to replace the wince enviroment with a linuxbased equal (opie/gpe), while we are trying to make a more general linux distribution for the jornada (compair Debian/Gentoo/Slackware).

We are looking for feedback to see if there's an interest and what you want. So please post on our homepage forum under 7xx.

Best wishes
/Kristoffer Ericson
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 11:58 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

cool. congrats!!

i've just posted on the forum there, in the topic i started. though it could be moved to under 7xx section tried to offer some help, i really hope i can help you somehow!

Edited by cmonex 2005-05-26 12:06 PM
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 2:08 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

ESCAPEMAX - 2005-02-22 6:01 AM

I thought about using Linux on my PC. What stopped me? Will the software I have work? Once I used (Rather attempted) software called "Bleem" supposed to allow me to run Playstation games on a PC. Tried Soviet Strike. Did not run very well.
Chris

there are big differences in linux, along with the setups.
bleem isnt a good choice for playstation emulation. the fpse works fine, there is even a PocketPC (arm build) for it, and I had that working with soul calibur in my Ipaq 2210 without too much slowdown.

The main problem with Linux at the moment is that the video card is usualy not properly detected at install time, and it requires you to do some fiddling to get it working right. once its setup properly, it works pretty good.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12